Went to PR Weekend!
Member since 11/28/01
Date: 11/11/08 6:48 PM
Ok everyone ready for the Contest Idea Poll Results? But before I announce them, I'd like to express my heartfelt thank you to all the volunteers who helped manage contests this year and special thanks to the contest committee for all that they've done and believe me its a LOT! You may not realize it but each contest you participate in requires a ton of work behind the scenes.
I forwarded the results of Poll to the committee and they analyzed, discussed and finalized the list. You'll notice that some of the contests don't have a popularity index. That's because we completely forgot to include some of the contests which ought to run next year. Please forgive us for that.
So now without further ado We Present
Rules that apply to all contests:
1. Contests begin on the 1st of the month, and all reviews must be entered for submission by midnight Eastern Time on the last day of the month.
2. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, Patterns may be drafted, tweaked, and muslined before the contest date, but fabric for the pieces entered may not be laid out or cut till the start date of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the contest date.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome!
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry.
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won a prize (1st or 2nd place) in a contest on Pattern Review ended in the previous six months is ineligible to win another contest for a period of 6 months.
-- Edited on 11/21/08 2:59 PM --
-- Edited on 11/21/08 3:00 PM --
Member since 7/30/02
Date: 11/11/08 6:57 PM
Thanks to everyone who voted, and thank you to Deepika for organizing the contests & site.
We will be asking for managers for the contests a month or so in advance of the contest, rather than getting the entire year at once. This way, people will have a better idea of their schedules.
A quick overview on what the contest manager does:
- Starts the contest discussion thread
- Answers questions from participants, using the rules as the structure. The manager has free reign with in those rules, but of course is welcome to ask for opinions or clarification from the Contest Committe.
- Fixes contest entries (not reviews, just the entries on the contest page)
- Announces when voting is open
- Announces the winners at the end of the contest. Most of the time people can go in & see for themselves, but it is important to put the winners in the thread because people don't always realize this.
At this point, the three contests starting in January need managers. Note that one of those, the Fabric Stash, is a 2-month contest.
-- Edited on 11/11/08 7:02 PM --
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.
Member since 9/19/06
In reply to AnneM
Date: 11/11/08 7:48 PM
It was really fun to see what the membership voted for, in terms of contests.
So, the contests that Anne has just put out a call for managers for are:
UFO (Unfinished Projects) contest. And isn't this a great contest for January, right after all our New Year's resolutions?
Fabric Stash contest. Another great January contest.
Reconstructing, Recycling, Refashioning contest.
The other contest for February, the Handbag Contest also needs a manager.
For all those who had contests that were near and dear to your hearts, that the majority of the membership chose not to vote on; by all means feel free to start a sew-along anytime on the message boards, and surely you'll find someone else who'll be happy to accompany you in the sewing.
-- Edited on 11/11/08 7:49 PM --
Member since 2/17/08
In reply to Deepika
Date: 11/11/08 8:05 PM
I would like to throw my hat into the ring to manage the Handbag Contest in February.
Member since 11/29/04
Date: 11/11/08 8:34 PM
Great list of Contests! Whoo-hoo, all of my favorites made it on to the list!
Thank-you to Deepika and to the Contest Committee for collecting all the data and making up the schedule.
I would like to volunteer for the Reconstruction, Recycling, Refashioning contest.
Member since 11/13/07
Date: 11/11/08 10:13 PM
Thanks to all who took the time to come up with all the contests and rules!
I will volunteer for the 2 month fabric stash. I am getting quite the stash myself and would love to sew along with the members.
Member since 11/8/06
Date: 11/11/08 11:02 PM
I would like to manage the UFO contest if no one else has their hand up first, although I am on an opposite time zone from most members,so my replies might be a bit slow
Went to PR Weekend!
Member since 5/19/03
Date: 11/12/08 1:05 AM
Woo hoo! Most of the contests that I really wanted are on the list. I am especially excited about the return of the recycling contest, and the 'one pattern multiple looks' contest.
Other members beat me to the punch to volunteer, but if anybody's plans change, I could manage either the handbag or UFO contest.
"Creativity is the residue of time wasted." Albert Einstein.
No wonder I just keep getting more and more creative!
Member since 7/28/03
Date: 11/12/08 1:20 AM
I'll pony up to manage the vintage challenge - not interested in participating, but think it's time I gave back to PR.
ETA and I will participate in the My Pattern Challenge again. Wow, that one gave me my mojo back big time! Already thinking about it!
-- Edited on 11/12/08 1:23 AM --
Suo ergo maledicto
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs
South Carolina USA
Member since 5/10/05
Date: 11/13/08 8:53 AM
Is this the list that's set in stone? Where is the lingere contest? Bummer.
Anyhow, if you guys get stuck for a manager, just let me know. I'm usually available.
Numbers for 2013:
Yards in stash: 606.25
Yards in: 22.75
Yards out: 10.50
Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out
Numbers for 2011:
601.25 yards in stash (I'm sure this number is off by a few yards)
Yards in: 137.50 (Seriously? I'm over 100, and it's only JULY? Ugh!)
Yards out: 88.75