Member since 9/19/06
Date: 3/22/12 9:12 PM
I will be managing this contest, which begins in just under a week. It will run for one month April 1 to 30. The general concept of the contest is to create a garment inspired by one that you have seen.
The link to join is Join Now!
Deepika has written a tutorial on entering contests on Pattern Reveiw. Here is the link. click here
If you have trouble, I can correct anything that needs to be corrected.
Here is a copy of the rules:
April 1st to April 30 2012
Have you been inspired by some of the current Ė or not so current style trends? Is your Pinterest board- or your real live inspiration board- filled with pictures of garments you would love to own but either canít afford or canít find? Then the RTW (Ready To Wear)Contest is the contest for you!
Create a garment inspired by one that you have seen. The inspiration item can be from a Ready-To-Wear line, from the runway, or any other garment you have seen worn or pictured.
The garment must clearly be inspired by the original piece. It does not have to be, but can be, an exact copy. List changes you have made and what features you have kept.
Review requirements: A picture of the inspiration piece and your finished garment must both be included; they can be put into the same picture. It is highly recommended that you MODEL YOUR FINISHED garment and STRIKE THE SAME POSE AS THE MODEL IN THE INSPIRATION GARMENT PHOTO.
There will be a 1st place winner and a 2nd place winner determined by Pattern Review member vote.
Prizes Sponsored by:
First Prize: $75 Gift certificate from StyleArc Patterns
Second Prize: $50 Gift certificate from StyleArc Patterns
Items to consider when voting:
- Does the garment resemble the inspiration piece in some clear way?
- Do the changes made by the entrant work (both fabric selection and style modifications)?
- Taking into consideration the stated skill level of the entrant, is it well constructed and well fitted?
- Is the review clear and well documented?
*Rules that apply to all contests:
1. All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. Contest dates will be listed for each contest.
2. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, patterns may be drafted, tweaked, and muslined before the contest date, but fabric for the pieces entered may not be laid out or cut till the start date of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the contest date.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome!
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry.
* Contest Eligibility
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won 1st place in a contest on Pattern Review ended in the previous 4 months is ineligible to win another contest (for that 4 month period).
Get a Badge
-- Edited on 3/26/12 3:09 PM --
-- Edited on 4/12/12 8:08 AM --
Going to PR Weekend!
Member since 9/12/05
Date: 3/22/12 10:32 PM
I have always loved this contest.
Hmm, now I have to narrow down what to make...
-- Edited on 3/22/12 10:33 PM --
Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!
Member since 1/4/09
Date: 3/23/12 10:24 PM
I'll sign up for this contest. Have been perusing the stash and clothing websites looking for ideas.
New South Wales Australia
Member since 11/11/06
Date: 3/24/12 4:16 AM
I tried on a couple of burberry jackets this week and I'm thinking of using Minoru jacket as the basis of this RTW contest. Their finishes are really beautiful but not in my current or future budget spend
http://cleverthinking99.com/ Will sew most things. I'm a Minerva Crafts, BurdaStyle, Whitetree Fabrics and Pitt Trading blogger.
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
2 members like this.
Date: 3/24/12 10:39 AM
This one is always so much fun! If you're looking for inspiration, I have a RTW + Pattern board on Pinterest, where I have pinned the inspiration garment and the matching pattern (you sometimes have to hunt a bit for the matching pattern because of the way Pinterest arranges pins). It's pretty amazing how much some of the RTW garments cost for such simple designs.
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far
Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95
2009? I give up
Member since 7/16/07
In reply to CTBarb
Date: 3/24/12 12:04 PM
Oh, cool. I have yet to actually enter this contest, and may not have time this year anyway, but thanks for the reminder. I should ask my daughter for inspirations about what I could possibly sew for her birthday, which is coming up shortly-ish.
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Some people are so poor, the only thing they have is money." ~ Seen on a t-shirt worn by a young missionary in India
Member since 9/19/06
In reply to nicegirl
Date: 3/24/12 3:39 PM
Nicegirl, You have researched so many patterns. I am impressed. Thanks for posting your pattern board. I am sure it will be an inspiration to others.
-- Edited on 3/24/12 3:39 PM --
Member since 9/19/06
Date: 3/24/12 3:41 PM
Re Becca, velosewer, annakeaton, Vintage Joan, Glad you will be joining. The link to join the contest is set up and the Committee is working on the rules and the badge. As soon as I have them I will post the rules by editing my first post so you can always find them on the first page of this thread.
Going to PR Weekend!
Member since 8/24/02
1 member likes this.
Date: 3/24/12 4:20 PM
I've already found the top I want to make: Coldwater Creek Pleated top
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com
If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL
Surrey United Kingdom
Member since 5/18/11
Date: 3/24/12 7:39 PM
Woo I'm so excited
I think I will give it a go and this will be the first sewing contest for me...ever!
Looks like I'm already falling behind with the research so better crack on