Member since 10/25/09
Date: 1/23/13 2:10 AM
Does anyone know how well metallic spandex holds its color? I have been making leotards with stretch lame fabric, and the color is Absolutely Beautiful...until it goes through the wash a few times, and it fades like crazy!! So I am wondering would I have better luck with metallic spandex fabric as far as keeping it's beautiful color? Or does it also fade easily?
I should also note that I did not hand wash the lame fabric leotards, so maybe that is my problem?
Member since 4/8/08
In reply to Amykakes
Date: 1/23/13 10:24 AM
I recommend to my clients that they wash their metallic spandex items either by hand or if washing by machine that they place the item inside a mesh laundry bag after turning it inside out. Always use cold/cool water.
Also machine wash on a gentle cycle and always hang to dry or lay flat -- never put in the dryer. I also recommend that they use a mild laundry detergent and avoid the use of fabric softener either on its own or as part of their laundry detergent. As well, don't soak in stain removers like Shout.
Some things I have learned about metallic spandex (including the popular liquid metals and mystique that are currently available):
* add some additional lining fabric in the underarm area -- deodorant/antiperspirant may cause the fabric to fade/lose its colour
* chlorine or salt water may harm the fabric's finish
* some spray tans will affect the finish on some of the metallic fabrics
* storing the item in such a way that the metallic spandex is "sticking" to itself may result in some colour/finish coming off -- especially if any form of heat is involved (even indirect sunshine).
Hope this helps somewhat -- I am not a big fan of lame for the athletic performance apparel I design and produce.
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"
2014 Stash Tally: 106.625 yds out/145.125 yds in (net +38.5 yds)
2015 Stash Busting:
84.125 yds sewn (as of 11/22/15)
121.25 yds purchased (as of 11/22/15)
* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Metallic spandex