Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:




Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.



Message Board > Beginner's Forum > What thread to use ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What thread to use
Caravan cusions
missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Posts: 143
Login to reply to this post

Date: 1/27/13 7:47 PM

Hi...I've been asked to recover some cushions from a caravan - box type of cusion, and I've just realised I don't have any thread other than what I use for normal sewing.

Will I need to get some strong or upholstery thread or will I be able to get the strength from sewing the seams at least twice with normal thread?

Also, I'm wondering how a strong/upholstery thread would go in the bobbin of my Janome

Any help appreciated..thanks

Janice

------
Blessings
Janice

missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Posts: 143
Login to reply to this post

Date: 1/28/13 4:54 AM

Never mind...I decided to go out in this horrible weather and get some upholstery thread :)

------
Blessings
Janice

kitphantom
kitphantom  Friend of PR
Advanced
NM USA
Member since 1/6/11
Posts: 194
Login to reply to this post

Date: 1/28/13 10:19 AM

Even though you've decided to use upholstery thread, here's my experience. When we renovated our old pop-up trailer several years ago, we had to buy new foam cushions for the dinette seats and back + the bed. I made zippered covers out of canvas, using Metrosene for the seams. (I serged all the edges first, as I knew the fabric would fray.) I never had a problem with the seams during the 2 years we used that camper before we bought a new one, and did not double sew them, wrestling the largest cover through the machine once was enough.
Before I made the cushions, we cut a test piece of the canvas, which was "boat-shrunk"; good thing, it shrank over 4" in a running yard. We (DH calculated what size to cut the pieces) cut over-sized pieces and washed/dried them, so the cushion covers would still fit when we needed to wash them. The canvas was easier to work with once washed, too.

------
Bernina: 910, 930, 180, 440
Bernina 1150MDA
Bernette 004D serger
Vintage/classic Singer: 201, 301, 221

JudieL
JudieL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/27/12
Posts: 217
Login to reply to this post

In reply to missticky2 <<


Date: 1/28/13 11:54 AM

Quote: missticky2
Hi...I've been asked to recover some cushions from a caravan - box type of cusion, and I've just realised I don't have any thread other than what I use for normal sewing.



Will I need to get some strong or upholstery thread or will I be able to get the strength from sewing the seams at least twice with normal thread?



Also, I'm wondering how a strong/upholstery thread would go in the bobbin of my Janome



Any help appreciated..thanks



Janice

I've used upholstery thread in my Janome and it was fine. You need to use a slightly longer stitch length with it. That was the only adjustment I had to make.

------
Judie

missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Posts: 143
Login to reply to this post

In reply to kitphantom <<


Date: 1/28/13 2:34 PM

Quote: kitphantom
Even though you've decided to use upholstery thread, here's my experience. When we renovated our old pop-up trailer several years ago, we had to buy new foam cushions for the dinette seats and back + the bed. I made zippered covers out of canvas, using Metrosene for the seams. (I serged all the edges first, as I knew the fabric would fray.) I never had a problem with the seams during the 2 years we used that camper before we bought a new one, and did not double sew them, wrestling the largest cover through the machine once was enough.

Before I made the cushions, we cut a test piece of the canvas, which was "boat-shrunk"; good thing, it shrank over 4" in a running yard. We (DH calculated what size to cut the pieces) cut over-sized pieces and washed/dried them, so the cushion covers would still fit when we needed to wash them. The canvas was easier to work with once washed, too.

Thanks...that's good to know for next time. If it had been mine I would have just used what I had but when it was for someone else I didn't want to take the chance :)

------
Blessings
Janice

missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Posts: 143
Login to reply to this post

In reply to JudieL <<


Date: 1/28/13 2:38 PM

Quote: JudieL
I've used upholstery thread in my Janome and it was fine. You need to use a slightly longer stitch length with it. That was the only adjustment I had to make.

Thanks Judie...yes, I'm pleased to say that I'm using it in my machine without any problems at all. I did put the blue dot bobbin case in so I had less tension on the bobbin, but I probably didn't need to. Just did because I had it there...lol. And yes, I did make it a longer stitch. :)

------
Blessings
Janice

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> What thread to use

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Basics
Fee: $14.99
(Regular $14.99)
Sewing Basics

Vogue Patterns 8712 misses pants
photo
Review by acmena on 4/17/14
Read Review

Liesl + Co. Men's Metro Shirt Digital Pattern
Liesl + Co. Men's Metro Shirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Cake Patterns Hummingbird Top Digital Pattern
Cake Patterns Hummingbird Top Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $9.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 3536 6 made easy
photo
Review by Mary W on 11/24/07
Read Review

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern
Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Details
Price: $14.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern
J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

Details
Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3956 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3956 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3925 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3925 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN