Member since 2/10/08
Date: 2/2/13 12:56 PM
Inherited this machine from my mother. Haven't got a clue how to use the embroidery part. No dealers in the Chicago area will help if you did not buy the machine from them. I offered to pay for lessons but no deal. Would someone be willing to answer questions for me.
Member since 8/9/07
Date: 2/2/13 2:04 PM
I can't help with your machine, but know where you can look. Look up the Pfaff yahoo groups, some are general, some are machine specific. I have found that sewist are some of the most generous helpful people in the world. Search other sewing forums, there are a lot. You will most likely find the help you need there. Good luck.
brenda in MI
Member since 2/10/08
In reply to brendaj
Date: 2/2/13 3:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions -I will look. krjkrj
Member since 6/24/06
In reply to KRJKRJ
Date: 2/2/13 6:34 PM
What help do you need? The instruction book has the basic set up steps, they did manual page updates with the never version when it changed from 2140 to 2170. For the software you most likely have 3D communication and a card/serial port to attach to computer. Your machine uses VIP embroidery format. The hoop has the dimensions printed on it. Machine originaly came with card #300, it has some designs plus alphabet. If you need a specific answer I can try to help. I can't send a pm because I'm not a paid member.
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.
Member since 11/6/06
Date: 2/3/13 11:26 AM
As suggested, your best bet is to join one of the Pfaff Yahoo groups. They're good for answering questions.
Member since 9/8/06
Skill: Advanced Beginner
In reply to KRJKRJ
Date: 2/4/13 11:11 AM
I also have the 2170. What are your specific questions? General info: Make sure the machine is off before attaching and removing the embroidery unit. Lower the feed dogs. disengage the IDT and attach the embroidery foot. insert a creative card or the card/usb cord and attach to your computer.
Below is info directly from the manual
to attach to embroidery unit as per the book/manual:
1. The socket for the embroidery unit is located at the back of the machine
Switch off the main switch
2. Place the embroidery unit directly behind the machine and pull into the socket.
make sure that the guide is slid between the base plate and the free arm as far as it will go.
3. Raise the embroidery arm in the area of the recessed grip and turn it to the back
4. The embroidery arm locks in embroidery position. Note: you can change bobbin with the unit attached, but make sure that the accessory tray is not swung too far to the rear. The angle of the accessory tray should not exceed 90 degrees. Otherwise the embroidery unit could be pushed out of its socket.
Attach the hoop to the embroidery unit
Slide the hoop underneath the presser foot by raising the presser foot lift as far as possible. The retaining screw of the hoop must be facing you and the guide pins must be pointing to the right. Slide the hoop with the guide pins into the metal guide until the snap in pin engages behind the release lever of the embroidery unit.
To remove the hoop:
push down on the release lever of the embroidery unit and pull the hoop towards you and away.
Remove the embroidery unit
Before the embroidery arm is turned, make sure that the hoop holder doesn't protrude from the front arm edge. If it does, go to the context menu, touch move hoop icon and the park position icon.
Switch off the main switch. Raise the embroidery arm in the area of the recessed grip and turn it to the left, until it locks in storage position. Press the release button on the left side of the embroidery unit and remove it.
Get started to embroider:
1.attach the embroidery foot and thread the machine.
2. attach the embroidery unit and lift the presser foot. Turn on your machine.
3. Touch the main menu icon and touch the embroidery icon.
4. insert your card
5. touch the mini main menu and touch card/machine icon. a pop up window will then appear so that you can choose if you want a design that is on a card or in the machine.
6. choose the card and select one of the designs that appears by touching the picture of it. Touch ok to confirm. The design now appears on the screen in the hoop.
7. attach the hoop with the hooped fabric to the embroidery unit. If the hoop on the window does not match the hoop you have inserted, your machine will not embroider. Touch the more options icon and the hoop selection icon to change the hoop.
8. thread your machine with color no 1.
9. press the reverse sewing button for a few seconds to start your embroidery. The machine will now start to calibrate the hoop to make sure that the correct hoop is inserted. Press the reverse button again and the machine will begin to sew (or press your foot control) after a few stitches the machine will stop in order for you to cut the thread tail. The cut symbol will flash on your window. Cut the thread tails and press the reverse button to continue embroidering.
10 When the machine has sewn the first color it will stop and the machine will tell you to insert color no 2. change the top thread to no 2 and continue to embroider.
11. when you have finished the last color the machine will return to the beginning of the design. A message will appear and ask if you want to place the hoop in the park position. Touch ok and the hoop will move to the park position. Touch ESC to leave the design on the screen.
12. Remove the hoop from the embroidery unit and cut the thread ends.
Note: Go to your context menu and touch the move hoop icon. Touch the park position icon and turn off the machine. Put the embroidery arm in the packing position and remove the embroidery unit.
* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Pfaff 2144 upgraded to 2170