Fashion Fabrics Club

Member since: 6/7/14
Sewing skills:Beginner
sewing machines reviewed: 1

Posted on:6/8/14 2:57 AM
(Updated: 6/24/14 3:23 PM)
Approx price paid:$150

Discuss Sewing Machines with PR members Sewing Machine Forum
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people   Very Helpful by 5 people
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Review:
Tell us about your first impression when you used this machine.
This is the first computerized machine I've ever used. It is nice to sew with and the 100 different stitches to choose from are great. The thing that bothers me the most is that it makes a clunky noise when I'm sewing slowly. I'm used to how the old machines sound. The foot pedal on this machine is OK but is very lightweight and gets pushed around easily so I find myself searching sometimes for where the foot pedal went off to. Again I may be biased since I'm used to using older model Singers.

Was the machine manual sufficient?
The manual is annoying. The information seems sufficient but the way the mfg. wrote it leaves a lot to be desired. It's written in two other languages other then English and all three languages are smashed up in sentences, or in short paragraphs and scattered all over each page and picture. I personally had to go through the entire manual and locate every bit of English and highlight it. Before I did this, I found it completely unreadable.

Did you buy any accessories? Do you use them?
I bought a Singer rolled hem foot and a Singer walking foot for this machine and I've used both. Both feet installed perfectly. Singers website and email customer service couldn't tell me if these feet would work with this model. They sent me a one size fits all "We can't help you, go see a Singer dealer." response. (Don't expect much from Singer customer service I guess.) I also got more bobbins since it takes only class 15 bobbins.

This machine didn't come with even a sample size of oil either. The manual clearly states using oil for maintenance. If anyone buys this at a store that sells sewing machine oil pick some up with the new machine.

Is this your primary machine?
At the writing of this review this is my primary sewing machine. I do use two other older Singer machines as well for certain things.

Did you take any classes specifically for this machine?
No? But I did watch a CD that came with the machine. The CD is a nice touch since I was able to watch it with another sewer without internet access. Singer also provides the same videos that come on the CD on the internet.

Was this a gift/pre-owned/garage sale etc?
This machine was new from a big box store.

How often do you use it?
On average in the 6 months I've had it probably a few times every two weeks? I'm a hobby sewer. Each time I use it I'm using it for a few hours at least.

Would you recommend this machine to others?
Yes, I would recommend this machine to other people. Like I said earlier in the review I'm not crazy about the clunky sound it makes when it's running on a low speed. I can only speak for my sewing habits, but I feel it would be a good machine for someone who does lighter hobby sewing at the very least. I'm very happy with the variety of stitches and ease of use so far.

Troubleshooting:
Have you had any trouble with this machine? Please elaborate.
So far I've had no trouble with the machine.
Edited on 6/24/2014 to add:
I was having a beastly time with a thin 4-way stretch knit getting sucked down into the needle hole to get jammed up in the shuttle area. This is probably my inexperience and not the sewing machine's fault, but I wanted to mention it.

Do you do regular maintenance on this machine? How?
I oil it every few times it's used. The manual clearly states maintenance should be done regularly. It is to be "clean at all times."

Honestly I don't clean it every single time I sew, but yes I do oil it in the places specified every couple times, and dust it out with the supplied brush when I see a little build up in there.

*LOGIN to add a comment to this review
* Only registered members can post comments to the reviews. Membership is free. if you are not a member, please Sign-up now!

1 Comments
HappyGene said...
Hi Twi, Can you tell if the clunk comes from around the needle area or up on the right by the hand wheel and control buttons? Thanks, :) Gene
6/13/14 5:46 PM

Favorite Things Happy Feet Pattern

Favorite Things Happy Feet Pattern

Buy Now
Add a Sewing Machine Review    Read All Sewing machine Reviews

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.