PatternReview.com

Had this machine for:6 months
Recommended? Yes
Online Merchants:Amazon.com
Necchi :720-100 industrial (Sewing Machine) by gizmoguy

Necchi :720-100 industrial (Sewing Machine) by gizmoguy  Necchi :720-100 industrial (Sewing Machine) by gizmoguy
Find the right Sewing Machine with the Sewing Machine Search Wizard

Discuss Sewing Machines with PR members Sewing Machine Forum
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 9 people
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Review:
First impression and the basics:
The machine is an industrial straight stitch zz machine that has had a servo motor attached, to control functions such as needle up/down. Presser foot up/down. and 4 programmable back tack functions. this is my first true industrial machine. The reason for the purchase is that I already have several Necchi's and find them a joy to sew with.....I guess I'm biased
I picked this machine up through ebay.

Machine manual:
No manual came with the machine. I found one through 'manuals on line'. Its pretty basic
I found very little information or reviews on this machine probably due to its age. The age of the machine is unknown possibly 1960's???
This is a machine that needs to be oiled regularly via the 14 red oil holes (that takes quite a bit of locating.) most of these have a felt, that wicks the oil into the correct place. These were cleaned and where missing were replaced. Oil goes to gum after many years and parts were thoroughly cleaned and re oiled using a quality oil & grease.
The gears were cleaned and re-greased and there is only minor backlash that you'd find in any gears it is within tolerance.
A needle guide was added to the needle bar to guide the thread at an angle closer to the needle groove.
I raised the table to 37" (94cm) as I find most tables to low.
The presser foot servo relay was very badly adjusted and modifications made to align the parts better.

Accessories:
*servo motor with function controls as stated.
*Ability to adjust motor speed from only a few stitched per min.(spm) to 2500 spm
*Industrial friction bobbin winder
*Twin spool thread stand
*Heavy duty sewing table

Machines I use:
*Pfaff 1222e
*Necchi Supernova BU
*Pfaff 260

**Machines I own and use occasionaly:
*Necchi Lelia straight stich

Other machines I considered:
*Bernina 950
*Bernina 217
*Pfaff industrial

How often do you use it?
Daily! I work as an artisan, making and repairing a variety of things sewing related things including:
*Kites
*Millinery
*Bags
*Upholstery

Would you recommend this machine to others?
I was after a machine that could sew through 4 layers of webbing without a hiccup and behave when sewing through nylon and polyester sail cloth.
I'm happy with this machine, I like doing my own maintenance.

Troubleshooting:
Old machines can be a hazardous purchase.
Test drive it. The speed of an industrial machine can be daunting at first. However a servo motor can be adjusted to slow this down while you get used to it. I makes my 1222e look like a turtle.
Check that all the machines functions work!!
I turn up with a few screwdriver and things and and check the inner workings. I fiddle with the setting, use my own thread, change needles.
If a seller won't let you look and do a good test....walk away.
The machine has no chips in the paint work a good sign of a well looked after machine.
After cleaning, oiling and greasing the machine ran noticeably smoother and quieter.

*LOGIN to add a comment to this review
* Only registered members can post comments to the reviews. Membership is free. if you are not a member, please Sign-up now!

5 Comments
jenniejo said...
Admirable! Thanks for educating us.
7/19/14 3:35 PM
karen149 said...
That is one amazing machine!
7/19/14 3:35 PM
SelmaMona said...
I have Supernova Ultra. Vintage Italian Necchis are the best of the best. What a great find!
7/19/14 6:56 PM
Keyboard Carol said...
That is a beauty! I have a Necchi and have owned several Necchi's. They are so closely machined that oiling all of them is a priority. But the way they sew and the perfect stitches are worth all the maintenance requirements. I have an industrial Pfaff also with a servo motor that allows me to adjust the speed. At 5,000 stitches a minute, I was intimidated when I first used it. The servo motor also made it possible for me to get used to the higher speed. That was a great review!
7/20/14 7:07 PM
Mufffet said...
Of course your 1222E was never meant to do that sort of sewing anyway, and I know you love it for what it does. And as a rule the 1222E is slower than other home machines - certianly the slowest machine I have, but also the most accurate and beautiful straight stitch as well as its other stitches. ;)
7/22/14 11:31 AM

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Add a Sewing Machine Review    Read All Sewing machine Reviews

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.