Sewing Machine Reviews> Janome> Sewist 525s

Find the right Sewing Machine with the Sewing Machine Search Wizard

Discuss Sewing Machines with PR members Sewing Machine Forum
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 3 people
Review:
Tell us about your first impression when you used this machine.
I have had this machine for a number of years. I bought it as a beginner and wanted something simple and strong. It has been both and I have yet to be tempted by a computerized model. The stitches are balanced and clean and there are enough stitch options to sew just about anything, including some nice decorative stitches. The one thing I cannot recommend is the automatic buttonhole foot. In all these years I have NEVER had a good looking buttonhole from it. The standard buttonhole foot is somewhat better but most of the time I sew my buttonholes from hand as it ends up being faster than doing them by machine and them cleaning them up by hand.

Was the machine manual sufficient?
For the basics, yes. It doesn't offer any information about routine maintenance, presumably because they expect you to take it in once or twice a year to be serviced.

Did you buy any accessories? Do you use them?
I bought a quilting foot and invisible zipper foot and use both.

Is this your primary machine?
It is. I have a 1939 White knee pedal electric and a treadle machine, both of which I use on occasion, particularly for sewing more special items (many more feet were included with those), but my everyday machine is definitely the Janome.

How often do you use it?
How often varies according to how busy we are and how much time I can get to myself (I have two elementary school aged children that I am homeschooling) but it probably averages out to 6-8 days a month.

Would you recommend this machine to others?
Absolutely. I intend to find another second-hand for my daughter when she is ready to start using a machine on her own.

Troubleshooting:
Have you had any trouble with this machine? Please elaborate.
My only problems have been user error and the aforementioned automatic buttonhole.

Do you do regular maintenance on this machine? How?
I do some, checking the lubrication and cleaning out the accessible areas, but the motor itself is completely inaccessible and can only easily be serviced by a specialist.

*LOGIN to add a comment to this review
* Only registered members can post comments to the reviews. Membership is free. if you are not a member, please Sign-up now!

2 Comments
Kikulina said...
Thank to Muffet for the Janome Buttonhole Stabilizer Plate, I never heard about it. Hope it is selled also in my country.
9/18/14 8:51 AM
Mufffet said...
On page 26 of your manual the buttonhole density adjustment is explained. This probably will help you. Then I would strongly recommend, since you love your machine and are not replacing it - that you buy the Janome Buttonhole Stabilizer Plate (200428004) which really really makes a huge difference in the buttonhole making - then take your manual and sit down and make buttonholes following the manual every step (I know this sounds like I think you haven't done this, but believe me I have had to do this myself) and just as a trial run until you master this. Janome buttonholes are fine, and you can actually go over them twice if you need to.
Also, because your machine makes the all around buttonhole...you can get another foot - the one you don't put a button in, and use this as your buttonhole foot and watch the length yourself and do the Manual buttonhole on page 28 of your manual!! Anyhow - you sure don't need to do them by hand!
7/22/14 11:27 AM

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Add a Sewing Machine Review    Read All Sewing machine Reviews

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.