Sewing Machine Reviews> Viking> Huskylock 910

About Terri Astarstarstar
Member since: 1/16/08
sewing machines reviewed: 4
Posted on:7/28/14 1:06 AM
(Updated: 8/3/14 4:20 PM)
Approx price paid:$700

Find the right Sewing Machine with the Sewing Machine Search Wizard

Discuss Sewing Machines with PR members Sewing Machine Forum
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Review:
Tell us about your first impression when you used this machine.
I bought this machine to finish seams and nothing more, but ended up using it a lot, even business sewing which was extensive and daily.

It seemed to shake a lot on the table from the first use, so I put a piece of industrial vibration absorption matting under it, and no more shaking.

Easy to use and thread... Obviously, air threading would be easier. ;)
I generally tie on new thread and pull it through, rather than re-thread it from scratch. It came with tweezers which I use for threading from scratch.

2/3/4 Thread
Fine Stitch Finger Adjustment
Built-in Thread Cutter
Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure
Instructional video

I have quite a few feet that go with this and lots of accessories as well.

It's simple to disengage the knife, or convert to a rolled hem, or anything you want, as it is as easy as flipping a switch.

There is a safety feature that the machine won't run when the looper area door is open, which is nice.

I have had no trouble going over thick seams as long as I go slowly. The differential feed has worked just fine to eliminate waviness in knits as well.

I have sewn everything from lightest sheer silk to heavy twills with no problem.
Same thing with thread, I've used everything from extra heavy woolly nylon to normal sewing thread with no trouble.

It has a stitch advisor that recommends how to set the controls on the machine for various fabric types and stitches which is nice, but it does NOT automatically set it all for you.

It still works perfectly, and I have never had any trouble with it.

It has two speeds, which is great. I use them both as well as the pressure adjustment dial.

Was the machine manual sufficient?
Yes. There are pages added for notes to keep track of various setting combinations and what you program in the advisor. This is just an advisor and does nothing else. When I bought my machine from the dealer the woman helping me insisted that it set everything mechanically for you, but she was misunderstanding the website terminology where it says there are: "11 Pre-programmed stitches" to mean the computer set them for you automatically.
It DOESN'T, which I realized as soon as I unboxed it and read the manual.
It does have the settings there on the advisor to read as a memory aid for you.

Did you buy any accessories? Do you use them?
Yes, but I generally don't play with the presser feet much. The scrap catching bag is not useful and I never use it.

Is this your primary machine?
This is my only serger.

How often do you use it?
Daily and occasionally weekly.

Would you recommend this machine to others?
Yes, but it doesn't do cover-hem like the one step up from this one does.

Troubleshooting:
Have you had any trouble with this machine? Please elaborate.
None in terms of use.

Lint needs to be brushed our regularly especially if I am sewing fleece. My best tip is to thread in the correct order. The looper threads being crossed from threading out of order will keep you from forming good stitches until you rethread it from scratch, another good reason to tie on and pull the looper threads through when rethreading with a different color, rather than cutting the threads and redoing from scratch.

Make sure you snap each thread into its tension discs completely when threading. A firm push down and you may feel or hear a little pop or click as it seats.

For the machine shaking on the table, a piece of matting underneath to absorb vibrations. I forget about this because I never use it without the matting but it did shake from day one. It never does now. Knowing what I know now, (From what I have read it shouldn't have been rattling around like that) I would have returned it but the matting solved the problem, and then I forgot about it.

Do you do regular maintenance on this machine? How?
Sometimes I put a drop of Tri-Flow on the metal to metal bits after cleaning out the machine with a brush.

*LOGIN to add a comment to this review
* Only registered members can post comments to the reviews. Membership is free. if you are not a member, please Sign-up now!

0 Comments

Buy Now
Viking Designer II

by: Marilyn Ha...

Add a Sewing Machine Review    Read All Sewing machine Reviews

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.