Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 9005 (Misses' Top)

Reviewed by:PattyE

Pattern Photo:Vogue Patterns 9005
Vogue Patterns Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
Fabric:Silk  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Pullover fitted top has neck and armhole binding, single-layer shaped overlay variations, wrong side shows, and narrow hem.
I was very intrigued by this pattern as I have been seeing a lot of embellished tanks everywhere.

Pattern Sizing: XS - XXL I made size S which is 8-10. I thought the sizing was just right.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes the instructions are easy. You are basically making a tank and adding the overlay, joining it in the neckline and armhole binding.
Be forewarned...the overlay pattern piece is huge!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the style and simplicity.
I did not care for putting darts in the tank but I went along with it to get the full flavor of the pattern. They're ok.
I did not like the instruction for the bindings. They wanted you to press under one long edge, stitch the other long edge to the outside, fold over to the inside and hand stitch. No, no, no. I did it the way I do my tees...stitch to the outside, fold over to the inside and then machine top stitch on the outside close to the edge, catching the inside edge in the stitching. So much easier and looks fine.

Fabric Used: The suggested fabrics are matte jersey, lightweight jersey, interlock. Those are fine for the tank. I used a silk/rayon luxury tube knit in ivory purchased from EOS last November. I got this in 3 colors, and enough of one color to do jammies!
The overlay is a 2-yd. roll end also bought from EOS in October. It's an Italian silk/lurex sheer. It is so pretty! However, it was like sewing spider web...very tricky. I probably could have used my Perfect Sew but did not want to lose any lurex fibers in the dipping process. And it raveled like crazy on the edges, so I just tried to handle with care until I got it all sewn. I tried serging a rolled hem and it just chewed it up so I just pressed in a narrow hem and stitched.
I used Tire silk thread on the overlay and So Fine 50 for the tank, both from Superior.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: As mentioned above I changed the binding method.
I stayed the entire neckline and both armholes. With the overlay attached at the neck and armhole, I wanted to make sure there would not be any pulling or stretching, and my knit is very silky and lightweight. This worked very well and it is something I would recommend.
I shortened the neckline by an inch at each shoulder seam. It is quite large and would have hung too low for me.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I might make this again if I run across the perfect overlay fabric. (I have enough left to make a long scarf.)
I would recommend it with modifications. I would suggest doing your favorite method for the bindings because hand sewing them is just not necessary. Also, think about staying the neckline and armholes, depending on your fabrics. Checking the neckline size would be a good idea before you get started too.

Conclusion: This is a nice embellished tank pattern. A double georgette, chiffon, crepe de chine, mesh would all be good options for the overlay, and your favorite tee fabric would be great for the tank.

More pics:
front
side
side
I will post a modeling shot tomorrow.

Baja Susana said...
this fabric is luscious. I am looking forward to seeing you in it.
7/2/14 11:26 PM
Sue Parrott said...
Wow, wow, wow! I agree with vacarisella, exquisite!
7/2/14 6:50 PM
carolynw said...
Beautiful - some great sewing skills used here! Very helpful review - thanks for sharing and hope to see a modelling shot soon!
7/2/14 6:14 PM