PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5897 (Misses'/Women's Top, Dress, Belt, Shorts, Pants and Slip)

Reviewed by:TammyH

Butterick: 5897 by TammyH  Butterick: 5897 by TammyH
Pattern Photo:Butterick 5897
Butterick Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Accessories    Shorts    Tops    Pants    Lingerie    Plus
Available for sale on PR: $19.95 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Cotton-Lycra Woven  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
MISSES'/WOMEN'S TOP, DRESS, BELT, SHORTS, PANTS AND SLIP: Loose-fitting top or dress has collar, collar band, self-lined yoke, forward shoulder seams, flaps, pockets, and fly front-button closing. A,C: tabs/loops. Shorts or tapered pants have waistband, side front pockets and mock fly zipper. Long sleeves C and D: stitched hems. E: side slits. Pullover slip. A,B,C,F: narrow hem. A,B,F: purchased bias tape finishes neckline and armholes. D,E,F: semi-fitted.
Designed for light weight woven fabrics.

Pattern Sizing: B5(8-10-12-14-16), RR(18W-20W-22W-24W) I cut a size 14

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It looks like the drawing, not the photo

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It went together easy and did not require too many adjustments for me.

Fabric Used: Cotton Stretch

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: To adjust for my curvy hip, I added about an inch to the center back length at the waist and tapered it to the sides. The crotch was too low, so I raised it about 3/8". It could have used a little more. These pants sit at the waist, not below it. I have my shirt tucked in so you can see, but I don't plan on wearing it like this. I have a jacket to wear with it also. Unlike the pants on the model, the legs are fuller. The drawing is a more accurate representation of the pants. There was some fullness in the thigh that I took out, which is unusual for me to adjust here. Also, I wish I had put some twill tape for support in the pocket seam. It has stretched some.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I probably will, since i have the pattern already adjusted for my figure. But, I would also like to make a different pair that sits below the waist.

Conclusion: It's a easy pattern, but like most pants patterns, they need to be adjusted or tweaked for your figure.
Available for sale on PR: $19.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy

SouthernStitch said...
You really got a great fit, especially in the back! Thanks for reviewing these - I like the stripes.
7/7/14 8:57 AM