Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 3033 (Evening Cover-Ups)

Reviewed by:sosat

Pattern Description:
Evening cover-ups
Pattern Sizing:
xs-s-m-l
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, mostly.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The pattern is very easy (I sewed view C three times). You can make a shrug in a few hours (or less if you're better organized than I am). The pattern is not perfect though. For example, I think View C would have fit much better if it had separate sleeves. As it is the front has to be pinned into place otherwise it doesn't sit properly.
Fabric Used:
rayon jersey
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I sewed VIEW C first with no lining and no back seam. The second time I sewed it with the lining and no back seam and I followed the sewing instructions provided with the pattern.

The third time I sewed view C was the best (the pale blue one). I included the back seam, but I made the ruffle a double layer (mostly because the material had an obvious wrong side but it turned out to be a good decision for the overall look of the garment). I also did not follow the instructions of the pattern, which tell you to sew the lining and outer garment separately and tack them under the arm and at the bottom of the sleeves.

Instead I sewed all 4 layers of fabric at one time and the shrug wears much better than the previous 2 versions.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I'm not sure I would sew this again, I think I would look for a similar pattern but one that had separate sleeves so that it would fit better. This design wants to fall off the shoulders.
Conclusion:
It's a great casual shrug to throw over a sundress or jeans. I don't think the view C would make for great formal wear though. It's too slouchy.
Pj3g said...
Nice job! You've got 3 totally different shrugs and they all look great!
7/13/14 9:45 PM