Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6735 (Misses Separates)

Review submitted in 2014 PATTERN STASH CONTEST (July 1 - July 31) Contest

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Pants    Skirts
  • Tip: facing tips
  • Fabric:Cotton-Poly Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
    This knit top is part of my Mini Wardrobe 2014 contest collection "Overcoming Your Fears"

Pattern Description: A Pattern Review Favorite from 2008 that has been sitting in my stash just as long! So many reviews on this one. Great knit separates.

Pattern Sizing: 10-16 I cut a 10 for most lines. I drafted to the size 14 at the hips. For reference, I wear a size Small or 4/6 in RTW. I did a no-dart FBA.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, love the way the pattern turns out very similar to the drawing. It's curvy, and very feminine.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Basically. Great tips on knits. I have such a FEAR of knits! I did not have a working serger, so that made me even more afraid.. . but the tips were great --using small zig zags and lines of straight stitching. And the instructions were clear.
    I did sew the sleeves in flat, rather than as set-in sleeves. I actually had to look that up after getting suggestions from other review, to see if I TRULY knew what it meant. It's just what you think! Sew the shoulder seams first, then sew the facing. Then sew the sleeve tops to the shoulder of each side, and finish with the sleeve seam, which continues into the side seam of the top.
    I did also not sew the facing into a circle first. Actually, I did, but after 3 failed attempts to make it work-- I ended up starting to stitch the facing about 1" from the back seam, then working my way around. Then I sewed the facing together (it ended up being about an inch shorter), and finished with sewing the last inch or sew to the top. This is a technique I found in The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques for facings.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    Even with all the painful seam ripping, I still finished it in basically a day. I believe this could be a TNT pattern easily! I am glad I bought it, just wish I'd sewn it up quicker. I love the way the sides curve with your body, and the sleeves push up.

Fabric Used:
    The kind of knit that makes me cringe about sewing knits. Why on Earth did I buy such rotten fabric? Poly knit purchased for color alone- not thick enough and rolled after I cut it. Super finicky!
    The super finicky fabric did teach me a few things though. (Thank you sewingcanary!) told me about using a knit foot (a foot with a little wire in it that helps hold the fabric edges down. Sadly, I didn't have one. But in googling what it might look like, I found:
      there's a stitch on my machine called (surprise!) Knit stitch which is perfect for the seam finishes of knits. Really keeps from all that rolling.

There's another stitch called a stretch stitch - great for seams and worked better for me than a zig zag. I found for most seams I could sew with stretch stitch, then finish the edge with the knit stitch.

Funny isn't it(read--SAD), that I've owned this machine for so long but not really used the stitches properly?

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
    Facing, as mentioned above. Also, flat sleeve application. I also did a no-dart FBA, and added 1" to the center front. I ended up needing to take this back out, however. It turns out I only needed the extra hip room in the back, and not in the front. This extra causes a little "swing" in the skirt- PHOTO that I had to take back out. PHOTO. So next time, I will only add to the hip back.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
    I will absolutely sew it again! I'm already thinking of being brave enough to try some other knit patterns. I kept thinking if I had chosen a heavier weight knit, it would have made things so much easier.

Conclusion:
    In about 7th grade, I COMPLETELY destroyed a knit dress with a seam ripper, hid it in a closet until my mom found it... and have pretty much shied away from knit fabrics ever since! I am now 48, it's WAY past time to GET OVER IT! But it still makes me nervous. I ventured into some lycra attempts for my girls when they were small and had no figures, but never for me. I love this patterns, and can see why so many others do too! Once I get a little better at sewing knits, I will sew it in some solid colors. This one helped to build my confidence quite a bit.
    My daughters gave me the ultimate compliment... they didn't realize it was one I had sewn.
    jacqui583 said... (8/21/14 9:14 AM) Reply
    You really got a good fit. The top looks very flattering on you. This is my TNT tee pattern, having made it many times. I find the learning process about sewing and our machines' capabilities what keeps it interesting. How boring if we knew everything there was to know right out of the gate!
    beanchor said... (7/31/14 10:47 PM) Reply
    Way to conquer your fears!
    crazygrad said... (7/30/14 12:52 PM) Reply
    Forgot to say-- LOVE that print!
    Kayseri said... (7/30/14 3:13 AM) Reply
    Lovely looking top
    carolynw said... (7/30/14 0:03 AM) Reply
    Love your top - this is a pattern I will not part with. I would say for your first attempt yo did an excellent job - and with finicky fabric!!
    txcwgrlmom said... (7/29/14 11:05 PM) Reply
    Very nice. Love the print. I will have to add this one to my stash.
    paolag said... (7/29/14 10:57 PM) Reply
    I've had this pattern in my stash since 2008 too:) You've done such a good job, - maybe I need to dig my pattern out too.
    canei said... (7/29/14 8:15 PM) Reply
    NICE job!
    crazygrad said... (7/19/14 5:19 PM) Reply
    I had a skirt I wore to tatters in high school, and I've been trying to recreate it ever since.

by: Izybel18