Online Sewing Class: Altering Pants

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8095 (Bathing suit, pants, skirt, et)

Reviewed by:SueV

About SueVstarstarstarstar
United States
Member since: 1/29/04
Posted on:7/17/05 4:31 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
JDpenelope said... (7/18/05 9:23 AM) Reply
Your design choices with this fabric are great--the bias cut on the front is just terrific. (Would like to see the chevron stripes on the back, too, if possible. :-)) Like Leslie, I wonder if the fabric will withstand chemicals and saltwater. Also, for others new to sewing bathing suits, as Sewingskater mentioned, you really have to be careful to get enough stretch (both directions) in a full length bathing suit, in both the fashion fabric and the lining. I recommend a high quality source (not JoAnn's or Hancock's) for swimsuit fabric.
ryan's mom said... (7/18/05 6:21 AM) Reply
You did a nice job on this bathing suit! Gotta love that term "cheese wraps". I'm making a cheese wrap today or tomorrow for my RTW bathing suit.
BeckyW said... (7/17/05 9:14 PM) Reply
Beautiful job on the suit. I love the fabric!
Teri said... (7/17/05 7:54 PM) Reply
I like it!
Leslie in Austin said... (7/17/05 6:42 PM) Reply
Ooo! Pretty suit! Let me know how it wears in the pool, would you? I have the same fabric in slightly different colors, and I've been looking at it with an eye to making a swimsuit, too, but wasn't sure how it would handle the chlorine and saltwater.
tellme said... (7/17/05 6:37 PM) Reply
Beautiful suit! Yesterday I just got one on sale at JCPenney - the sale price was $57! I never seriously thought of sewing a swim suit before, but the pattern you chose not only looks attractive but also I'll bet it supports just as well as the new RTW model with the built-in bra. Great inspiration!
SewingSkater said... (7/17/05 6:28 PM) Reply
smvite - Your suit looks great! Just a word of caution: The powernet, while great at "holding you in", doesn't have the same amount of stretch as the regular fabric. Make sure you take this into account if you use it for a lining, otherwise the suit will be too short. (I have only had this problem with 1-piece suits, they are fine in the width, but never have enough length!) PM me if you need more info. :)
BjP said... (7/17/05 5:40 PM) Reply
Very nice suit! I really like the fabric you used and I bet it looks great on you.
donna wicks said... (7/17/05 5:37 PM) Reply
The bathing suit looks great. Really nice fabric....even though the thoughts of sewing a bathing suit can be intimidating at first they are actually easy to make and much easier than the ordeal of trying on bathing suits in the stores. A much better price too. You did a great job on sewing this one. Don't forget to take pictures of the next one you make. Love that "cheese" wrap!!!
hongkongshopper said... (7/17/05 5:14 PM) Reply
The suit and wrap look great together! Well done!

by: Rosie who...