Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6966 (Misses' Skirts)

Reviewed by:fabricprincess

About fabricprincess
Member since: 1/21/05
Posted on:7/26/14 4:48 PM
Pattern Photo:McCall's 6966
McCall's Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
See other patterns in this category: Skirts
Fabric:Double Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: View B: Pull on skirt with tea length hem in front and floor length hem in back.

Pattern Sizing:
This pattern was huge! My size called for a medium at the waist and large at the hip. Since the only pattern in stock was ZZ (Lrg-Xlg-Xxl) I graded it down to a medium in all areas figuring the flared style would accommodate my hips. See below for more details.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very easy. I overlocked all my seams in lieu of a straight or stretch stitch.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Note/Dislike: The illustration on the envelope is not representative of the sewing directions of the yoke, which is likely where the extra 8" came from. The directions show the use of elastic to pull in the upper yoke which create semi-full gathers, unlike the illustration which shows a flat/smooth yoke.

Fabric Used:
Nice sturdy double knit from Yardage Town

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
For my first fitting with the yoke, I took in 4" at the top and 3 1/4" at the bottom for each side seam; yes, that's 8" too large at the low waist/top of the yoke. At the center back of the yoke I took in 1 1/2" total at the top and 3/4" total at the bottom to accommodate my sway back.
For the skirt fitting, I overlocked the side seams and let it hang on a skirt hanger over night then evaluated the changes. The sides seams had stretched out about 3" which was fine, but they had also bagged out a bit into a semi circle pulling the hem inwards. I trued it up by taking in the seam 3" at each side and tapered it down to the hem (took in a bit less than the bottom of the yoke for hip and full thigh ease.)
Due to the stretching from hanging over night, I just evened out the hem taking up about 1 1/2" - 2" all around.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes. I already have another that was cut out at the same time as this one, so I will have to make the same yoke adjustments before sewing it up. I would highly recommend this for a beginner only if using a stable or double knit.

Conclusion:
Quick and easy pattern, took less than 4 hours to put together (plus grading time).

All About Linings