Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1387 (Misses' Top)

Reviewed by:j Renee Design

About j Renee Designstar
WI United States
Member since: 7/26/10
Posted on:7/31/14 9:08 AM

Vogue Patterns: 1387 by j Renee Design  Vogue Patterns: 1387 by j Renee Design
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
taylormade said... (10/22/14 9:08 AM) Reply
I just finished working on this blouse. I have been sewing for 50+ years, and it is up there with one of the worst patterns I have encountered!! It is impossible to install the underarm gussets with the instructions given!! Also the bias bands on the armholes are a ridiculous afterthought - did not fit well - I also found the shoulders to be way too big, and cut off about 1" from each armseye starting at the top and tapering to original line at underarm seam. I used the bands to just sew a bias binding to armseye and then "installed" the gusset by hand after finishing the armhole. I would not recommend this pattern no matter how pretty you think it is-mine is going to be worn for yard work. And I used a fabric I loved :-( So sad!
AllNewtoMe said... (8/4/14 10:30 PM) Reply
This is so pretty! The pattern on the fabric is amazing, and I LOVE the yoke on the back. It's beautiful!
TJSEWS said... (8/2/14 10:04 PM) Reply
All of your efforts were definitely worth it because you ended up with such a pretty blouse!
j Renee Design said... (8/1/14 2:53 PM) Reply
Thank you so much, you guys are really sweet. I agree, now that I'm past the pain of dealing with it, I'm really happy with the end result. Rairscat - A swayback adjustment helps to get rid of excess fabric in the lower back by slashing through the CB to the stitchline and overlapping to reduce the amount of fabric in that area. This is a very blousy style in general, so it's not too apparent.
supizoo said... (8/1/14 8:17 AM) Reply
This is such a beautiful blouse. If I was guaranteed the result you achieved, I would suffer the pain.
Re Becca said... (7/31/14 1:39 PM) Reply
BEAUTIFUL! I would trade this top for a wee bit of my sanity. I know tha it will grow on you and you will forget the headache. Besides, sanity is over rated.
Erin Sooit said... (7/31/14 12:57 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for the review! I do appreciate it since I really would like to make this top. I think your version is really pretty, feminine and summery. I also appreciate your candor in how much work was involved putting those pesky insets into the garment.
Rairscat said... (7/31/14 12:49 PM) Reply
That is a really beautiful blouse. I've debated making it or not...honestly I just think the fit wouldn't be flattering on me. I'm curious what a swayback adjustment looks like.
carolynw said... (7/31/14 9:48 AM) Reply
It is worth all the effort, sweat and tears - it's so pretty and feminine. Sometimes the devil is really in the details and I can feel your pain having gone through a similar ordeal yesterday!

Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern