Mood Fabrics

MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01

Posted on:8/8/14 12:10 PM
Project Photo:Crafterhours: Monkey Bar Skirt by Deepika

Crafterhours: Monkey Bar Skirt by Deepika  Crafterhours: Monkey Bar Skirt by Deepika
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Rayon Jersey  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: The Monkey Bar Skirt is a free pattern from crafterhours. It's basically a knit skort with the option of making it single or two tiered. I made the two tiered version (view B). As a mom of a 3 year old who loves to wear skirts, I am always concerned about modesty while she is playing. So I add another layer with bike shorts or leggings which can be super warm during summer months.

So I am loving the skorts. I've even taught her the correct? word for this outfit - Skort!

Pattern Sizing: 2T-10. I made size 3T based on miss D's measurements and its spot on.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it did! Although she is a little young for monkey bars still but we can be sure this skort gets a lot of use at the playground without me worrying.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The illustrated instructions were really easy to follow. Gathering is not one of my favorite things to do and I can never get the gathers to be even but hey.. as long as there is no gather police, I am ok

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Love how quick and easy this is. Love how cute she looks in it and finally super cool that its a free pattern! Thanks Crafterhours!

Fabric Used: Printed Rayon Lycra Jersey from Elliot Berman Textiles.

This skirt was actually a project I whipped up using left overs from my maxi skirt. Yes, it takes that little fabric.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? You betcha! I will be making many more of these.

Conclusion: Friday (candy day) and new skirt seems to be her favorite combo. She was a HAPPY girl this morning when we went outside for a photo shoot. The top is store bought but I freezer paper stenciled HAPPY on it, inspired by Bianca's HAPPY Shirt.
Pj3g said... (8/11/14 8:48 PM) Reply
I love this!
JEF said... (8/10/14 9:50 PM) Reply
Love it all!!
JOshiro said... (8/10/14 9:50 PM) Reply
Yours turned out great!
CSM--Carla said... (8/9/14 2:18 PM) Reply
Love it! thanks for the info about the stencil!
VivianZ said... (8/9/14 11:41 AM) Reply
Perfect skirt and a cute model. Thanks for the heads up for this pattern. My 2 year old GD will love it. I had never heard of freezer paper stenciling and that is another thanks! What a great outfit.
ASiverson said... (8/9/14 8:46 AM) Reply
Happy day, happy child and happy outfit. Love It! And your DD is getting very big!
Twinset said... (8/8/14 4:27 PM) Reply
She's so cute in her skirt! Of course, I recognize that fabric! ;-)
sugarduck said... (8/8/14 3:40 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for this review! I have a 2.5 year old who loves skirts, but also loves lifting them up over her head. This sounds like the perfect solution.. :-)
ConnieBJ said... (8/8/14 3:39 PM) Reply
I've got the perfect ends from Girl Charlee for this! I may have to do solid shorts! Tell Dia she looks like a perfect playmate for some Ontario kids!
marymary86 said... (8/8/14 2:09 PM) Reply
She is so adorable and she's growing so quickly. Thanks for the review. A free pattern that sews up well and doesn't use much fabric is a great combo!
carolynw said... (8/8/14 2:01 PM) Reply
So cute - little Miss. D is right in style!
Jupiter, FL said... (8/8/14 1:55 PM) Reply
Adorable (skirt and child)!!!!!!! Love the fabric for this!
michellep74 said... (8/8/14 1:32 PM) Reply
Very cute! We're dealing with the same bike-shorts/skirts dilemma right now. I'd think that an elastic-waist skort would probably be more potty-training-friendly, as well.
Rairscat said... (8/8/14 1:30 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. My daughter is getting to this stage, too, and a free pattern is always great! Cute outfit!
Kalisews said... (8/8/14 1:03 PM) Reply
Super cute! And thanks for the heads up on the pattern. This would be perfect for my DD, she loves skirts and dresses also and we have the same issue with the biker shorts and additional layers. What a great idea for all the leftover knits! I see many versions for school coming up.
bakertoo said... (8/8/14 12:52 PM) Reply
So cute! And Happy is the operative word! Pretty sweet smile.

Understanding Wool Fabrics