Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 1592 (Misses Vest, Jacket, Dress and Pants)

Reviewed by:deanna86

Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Vests    Coat/Jacket    Pants
Fabric:Rayon Challis  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Misses' Pants, dress or tunic and jacket or vest. I made the dress (view B) but added the sleeves from view C.

Pattern Sizing: sizes 8-16. I went from a size 10 at the shoulders and gradually graded out to size 14 at the hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, mostly.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the shoulder yoke, and the gathers on the bodice where it attaches to the yoke.

Fabric Used: feels like a rayon challis. I bought it on vacation in France, where it was simply labeled 'viscose'.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: As mentioned earlier, I made the dress but included the sleeves from the tunic version. I also added one and a half inches to the length, and used hem lace as well when finishing it. Good thing, too, since it would have been shorter than I wanted if I hadn't.

I cut the front bodice piece on the fold, because I didn't want to interrupt the flow of the print. The front bodice seam does little shaping, so that alteration didn't affect the fit.

I used an invisible zipper in the back--second time ever.

I shortened the sleeves themselves by about half an inch, and made the sleeve cuffs a bit narrower as well. (I had made a trial run of the pattern before cutting into this fabric, so I knew I wanted the sleeves a bit shorter.)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'd sew it again for the right fabric: something lightweight with an interesting print.

Conclusion: Nothing too complicated about this pattern. It's a good one for highlighting an interesting fabric, because the lines are pretty without being distracting.

As for this specific dress, I feel a bit like I'm a peacock floating on a pond... the print is a bit much. But wearing it belted helps. I also wore it once as a blouse by putting on a long skirt.
JuliN said... (8/14/14 8:44 AM) Reply
The print is very pretty and the yoke gathers are a nice touch. Thanks for sharing.
Gloria M said... (8/11/14 10:03 AM) Reply
Very lovely!
hopflower said... (8/11/14 9:53 AM) Reply
This turned out beautifully! The pattern and fabric are made for one another.
ghijsmom said... (8/11/14 9:23 AM) Reply
I think the fabric is absolutely beautiful, and your dress fits you very well. I can see that I need to go to France for fabric!
canei said... (8/11/14 7:32 AM) Reply
I love this. The fabric is beautiful!!!
Danvillegirl said... (8/11/14 5:28 AM) Reply
Very pretty dress! I am drooling over the fabric; it is very pretty!!!
BirdyBooo said... (8/10/14 9:37 PM) Reply
The dress and the fabric is amazing! love it!
MrsCharisma said... (8/10/14 8:32 PM) Reply
I really love it on you!
Rairscat said... (8/10/14 8:04 PM) Reply
Really beautiful and unique. If you ever get tired of feeling like a peacock, I will happily take it off your hands!
sewtime said... (8/10/14 7:57 PM) Reply
The dress and the print are just beautiful together!
LlanoGirl said... (8/10/14 7:26 PM) Reply
I really like the fabric, it's different and your dress is pretty! Nice job

Eagle's View PM/54