Online Sewing Class: Fit the Tee to a T

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6079 (Misses Shirts and Pant)

Reviewed by:KarenP

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

sewsue said... (8/11/05 5:32 PM) Reply
Lovely shirt. Hard to believe it's your first attempt! Thanks also for the discussion about fitting, I too have this problem with arms and I had never thought of doing a round upper back adjustment. Thanks for the advice and the discussion.
Elemenopeo said... (8/11/05 12:01 PM) Reply
This is a fantastic first blouse. Way to go!
ryan's mom said... (8/11/05 6:34 AM) Reply
Your blouse looks great, and your first time??? Hard to believe by looking at your pic. As for the armhole pull, I get this too. Your armhole doesn't appear too low so it's hard to say. On second glass at your front pic, I do see folds in the front near the armhole, above the side of the boobs. Yes, this could be a "bust okay but armhole still gaps" in the FFRP book. I'm just speculating though, since I far from being a fitting guru.
KarenP said... (8/11/05 0:28 AM) Reply
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions! Debbie and Mini - I think you are on to something re the round upper back adj. I have contemplated doing one but haven't tried it yet (I was in denial about needing it). I certainly will give it a try. Vonnevo - I think I would be happier with a little more ease in the sleeve, so next time I will cut and spread it a bit.
Ann Smith said... (8/11/05 0:03 AM) Reply
A wonderful job done. I can't believe this is your first blouse. It looks great.
Jennifer shaw said... (8/10/05 11:19 PM) Reply
Your top looks great on you! Thanks for the very helpful review.
Mini said... (8/10/05 9:32 PM) Reply
Congrats on a lovely, flattering blouse. Based on your side view, I would vote for a rounded upper back adjustment as Debbie says. Fortunately, this is covered in FFRP, and it's easy to do. You could give it a try on your pattern tissue first to see if it helps.
Karla Kizer said... (8/10/05 9:09 PM) Reply
The fit of the front looks wonderful. Just stand there and don't move or raise your arms; it will be fine. ;-) I wouldn't go up a size; the shoulder fit looks too good and a larger size would start to look too roomy. On my DD's shirts, I cheat. I trace 1/2 size larger for the back, and ease it to fit at the shoulders. When I trace the sleeves and collar, I make the size transition at the shoulder and just smooth the cutting lines. For casual styles, it seems to work just fine, and is the easiest way to give her a little more width and length in the upper back. The stretch fabric idea will add a little more forgiveness, too. Love your shirt!
elizat said... (8/10/05 8:39 PM) Reply
I think you look great in your blouse. It's obvious that you took the time to really make it fit you. But I think the best part is your proud smile that you wear so well in your pic.
Vonnevo said... (8/10/05 6:50 PM) Reply
Karen, this looks very stylish. I dont think you need the next size though. If I may make a suggestion..you could try using a fabric with a little spandex/elastane, which might give you that extra ease you are wanting. Also perhaps cut and spread the sleeve a little to give you some extra ease around your arm. This would be an easy adjustment and may stop that arm pull.
diane s said... (8/10/05 6:43 PM) Reply
The fit is great, you should be proud of yourself!
jlg said... (8/10/05 6:10 PM) Reply
This looks very nice on you. The collar, in particular, looks very nicely done.
Debbie Cook said... (8/10/05 5:18 PM) Reply
I think your blouse looks GREAT!! But since you asked about fitting stuff, here's what I'm thinking ... it looks like you need to do a round upper back adj, not a broad back adj. Hard to tell definitively since I can't see the back. To me it looks like the blouse is pulling down from your neck/shoulders, making you think there's not enough room in the back but what it probably is is there's not enough length to go over your rounded shoulders. Clear as mud? ;-)
jacalhoun said... (8/10/05 5:15 PM) Reply
Wow! Great job, Karen. I, too, like wearing short-sleeved blouses. I've got one mostly perfected, but it still needs a bit of tweaking. It's so nice to put the effort into perfecting the fit of a pattern and having it work so well! Great top!

Sewaholic Patterns 1401