Pattern Reviews> Folkwear> 233 (Glamour Girl Dress)

Reviewed by:Cambric Tea

Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people    Very Helpful by 25 people

Vesta Patterns

Sewing Patterns: Upcycling

bonnnie said... (9/6/06 4:31 PM) Reply
Very lovely. Thanks for the tip about using lightweight fabric and the knot at the tummy. All your vintage creations are delightful.
patsijean said... (6/18/06 12:18 PM) Reply
I just love this dress on you. I am tempted to try it. I have a nice print rayon that I can't remember buying. The drape would be perfect. Thanks.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (4/15/06 7:11 AM) Reply
I don't know how I missed this the first time...just came over from viewing Tini's review. This is absolutely, stunningly gorgeous!
Em's Summer said... (4/14/06 3:43 PM) Reply
That is a beautiful dress--it's so very 40s and oh so elegant! And your pics are perfect! Thanks for this great review!
Schnauzer said... (2/19/06 1:53 AM) Reply
Absolutely fantastic!
FeyFaerie said... (10/20/05 11:17 PM) Reply
The dress came out beautifully. And you look absolutely amazing in it!!! What a classic, timeless look.
Debbie Cook said... (9/12/05 7:39 AM) Reply
I don't know how I missed this, but I'm glad I found it today. Gorgeous!! And ditto to all the compliments you've already received.
Gigi Louis said... (8/29/05 12:24 PM) Reply
Wow! I've been waiting for someone to review this dress for awhile. Now I know that I must have it immediately. You look positively gorgeous in it!
carnelian said... (8/29/05 9:36 AM) Reply
Bless you for mentioning the potential for clumpiness in front. I made a fatally clumpy one years ago in a gorgeous cotton flannel.
SandraB said... (8/27/05 8:16 PM) Reply
Wow!! This dress looks gorgeous, and so do you.
Sew4Fun said... (8/27/05 7:19 PM) Reply
WOW! You look every bit as glamorous as the starlets of the forties. I hope you frame these photos and hang them on your walls. Your review proves style and elegance is always "in Vogue".
ladybegood said... (8/27/05 7:19 PM) Reply
Great dress and great pic's! I can't resist anything that is "butt-flattering". Thanks for the review!
JDpenelope said... (8/27/05 1:17 PM) Reply
Nothing more to add. Just my praise and admiration!
tigger said... (8/27/05 11:38 AM) Reply
Yes the dress is great and the photos of you in it are just like a magazine shoot! Love them!
oracle said... (8/27/05 10:39 AM) Reply
Gorgeous job. Love your photo presentation on it, too -- makeup and all. Thanks for that; it really does both the dress and your work on it justice.
Diane E said... (8/27/05 10:26 AM) Reply
I just want to say, "me too" to everything that has been written. You look beautiful (again!) and have created a lovely dress. Your fashion photographer should be given an extra special treat.
Cambric Tea said... (8/27/05 0:51 AM) Reply
Jennifer, it is from It's nice challis, it doesn't wrinkle at all. (thank you, (:
Jennifer shaw said... (8/26/05 11:24 PM) Reply
Fantastic! This is so wonderful. Where did you find that luscious fabric?
SewTabby said... (8/26/05 9:38 PM) Reply
Firstly, your dress is gorgeous. Secondly, you are, too! Stunning photographs--be proud of your creation.
Englebert said... (8/26/05 8:50 PM) Reply
Cambric, this is a very lovely dress! Very nice!
redhead said... (8/26/05 8:46 PM) Reply
This is gorgeous! I had to wait all day to come home and view the pictures as most photo sites are blocked at work. Thanks for sharing the fun!
Marita Kinnula said... (8/26/05 3:51 PM) Reply
One of those things, where everything is perfekt, congrats!Amazing! that dress is a killer!
Sew it seams said... (8/26/05 3:44 PM) Reply
Love the dress- love the photos, and I get to be th 50th (!!) comment in one day! That has to be a record! Wonderful dress.
Linda E. said... (8/26/05 3:19 PM) Reply
love the dress there is nothing more I can say than what has already been said it looks fantastic on you.
nheh said... (8/26/05 3:05 PM) Reply
Hubba, hubba! As everyone else has said, this looks wonderful on you.
Leora said... (8/26/05 2:29 PM) Reply
You are so photogenic! Excellent review of such a lovely dress.
Kay Y said... (8/26/05 1:31 PM) Reply
Even though so many others have already done so, I have to express my admiration for how fantastic your project photos always are - I love reading your reviews since they are so well illustrated. This latest one is really superb. Excellent matching of fabric to project and of project to wearer, great execution. I am now seriously thinking of ordering this pattern as I have some nice drapey rayon crepe - hmmmm. Keep your reviews coming!
LBJ said... (8/26/05 1:27 PM) Reply
The dress, and you, look FABULOUS!
Cambric Tea said... (8/26/05 1:19 PM) Reply
Thank you so much to everyone who left such nice compliments! I'm so flattered! Allison: Folkwear rocks. I really love the thick paper and clear hand drawn illustrations. I really like the drafting because the garments are based on vintage or ethnic clothes. I've read the Gibson Girl blouse is actually not difficult. Kathy, my husband takes the pics. He is so sweet about it too, I'll be sure to pass your compliment on to him. Popoagie: I rotated the FBA into the underbust gathers. Here's a closer view: I didn't mess around with the armscyce or bust ease too much, just decided to let the pattern be what it is. (:
touran said... (8/26/05 12:18 PM) Reply
Wow - just gorgeous. Everything with the dress and you is absolutely perfect together.
Kathryn said... (8/26/05 12:15 PM) Reply
Awesome to the max. Great print for this vintage look, and you carry it off beautifully!
elizajo said... (8/26/05 12:10 PM) Reply
Oooh-- so beautiful! Make it again! In red crepe with red charmeuse midriff and ties for Christmas parties. Your beautiful coloring can carry off the drama.
Tini said... (8/26/05 10:52 AM) Reply
what a gorgeous dress! the pictures and the make-up and your hair makes it perfect!!
drsue said... (8/26/05 9:54 AM) Reply
Wow! Just wonderful!
mizvi said... (8/26/05 9:21 AM) Reply
This is an absolutely stunning look that is as flattering and contemporary as it was 60 years ago...any woman will look classey and feminine in this dress. Its made for the "woman". You've done a beautiful job with it. I will use it to introduce my friends to this sight which I have only recently discovered. I am hooked and have to see what all the sewing ladies are up to everyday. I am feeling encouraged and inspired to try to create something lovely too...thanks for sharing this project!
AnneM said... (8/26/05 9:18 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for this review. I have the pattern & put in a review request for it! I think that the style would even work for smaller-busted me. Good info for me to use when I make my version. It looks nice on you, also.
xela said... (8/26/05 9:17 AM) Reply
You do look like a glamour girl. What a perfect match!--you and the dress, the hair, make-up. Super! Thanks for a wonderful review.
Leslie in Austin said... (8/26/05 9:02 AM) Reply
You look like a starlet! Absolutely stunning.
minieme said... (8/26/05 8:53 AM) Reply
You look gorgeous in that! Very sexy.
PhyllisC said... (8/26/05 8:18 AM) Reply
OMG - you look like Ava Gardner! Stunning. I've always loved this pattern and you've really done a smashing job with it.
melgosews said... (8/26/05 8:03 AM) Reply
Your dress and pics remind me of my Grandmother in a shot with a Grandpa I never met in his military uniform shortly before he left. It's lovely and thanks!
Everyday Sewist said... (8/26/05 8:02 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress and what a helpful review too. Folkwear should buy your picture and put it on their envelope!
Tiner W said... (8/26/05 7:56 AM) Reply
It's perfect for you!
GorgeousFabrics said... (8/26/05 7:56 AM) Reply
Love the dress, LOVE the review. I was cracking up over your description of why you added a second zipper! Beautiful job and a beautiful model! -Ann
Hilary said... (8/26/05 7:32 AM) Reply
WOW! Gorgeous!! I love the photo style too :oP This is absolutely beautiful on you thanks for the review!
Harriet Rogers said... (8/26/05 7:13 AM) Reply
Wow! Fantastic dress: I echo all the rest: heads will certainly turn when you wear this. Wonderful choice of fabric and pattern. You really look great!
Lisette said... (8/26/05 7:07 AM) Reply
Your dress is lovely and you look like you stepped out of a period movie, Gorgeous!
Modiste Madness said... (8/26/05 6:52 AM) Reply
I love your pictures. Who does them for you? This is such a striking dress for you and your coloring. It looks fabuous. You are going to turn heads in this one.
MaryBeth said... (8/26/05 6:33 AM) Reply
From the pattern description: "It emphasizes curves, drapes elegantly, and lends an air of discreet sexiness....Shoulder pads lend that commanding air to any aspiring celebrity." Yes, I'd say it sure does! Great job, CT, doubling the front seems to have worked perfectly and adding another zipper is very clever. Thanks for the review.
Katharine in BXL said... (8/26/05 6:26 AM) Reply
OMG, you look like a model!!!!!! You must carry on with past dressing. It's so gorgeous on you!
Gail S said... (8/26/05 6:13 AM) Reply
Very striking! I have this pattern but have yet to sew it. Nice Review.
MickeyFan said... (8/26/05 6:07 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress! You have the look of a 40's galmour girl down pat. Thanks for "planting the seed" with your double zip idea. I will definitely use that sometime.
MarilynB said... (8/26/05 5:58 AM) Reply
Wonderful dress. I have been using side zippers lately, but I would never have thought of using two. Great idea!
els said... (8/26/05 5:26 AM) Reply
Both you and the dress look stunning, great find to use 2 side seam zippers.
kremmer said... (8/26/05 5:15 AM) Reply
Fantastic dress! You look SO glam!
Mlle Laura said... (8/26/05 4:40 AM) Reply
Wonderful - a real screen siren!
Danvillegirl said... (8/26/05 4:32 AM) Reply
Great looking dress on you. You look 50's glamourous for 2005. Really like how well the dress fits. It truly looks like the outfit is just for you.
QuickFade said... (8/26/05 4:10 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review! I've been looking at this pattern, and no I must make it. How did you do your FBA for this pattern?
KiwiWendy said... (8/26/05 3:50 AM) Reply
Glamour Girl to the max.
Allisonsews said... (8/26/05 3:33 AM) Reply
CT, how was your experience with this brand of pattern? Folkwear has a great Gibson girl blouse that's super-trendy for fall but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try it! And another great photo by the DH!
Noile said... (8/26/05 2:25 AM) Reply
Ohh-la-la! Devastatingly charming! Your double-zipper solution is clever -- I know I'll use that trick in the future. You've got just the right flare to carry this classic off!
SewTwin said... (8/26/05 2:16 AM) Reply
I expectecd Archie of the Nero Wolfe show to walk into the picture, and take your hand.You have the classic look down pat,oughta be in oldie movies.You would break Archie's heart.The dress is great too..I couldn't handle 2 zippers,I go the elastic route,not too many of those waistbands in the vintage dresses...
pharmercoon said... (8/26/05 1:40 AM) Reply
You look fabulous...great job! Kay
Asa Hagstrom said... (8/26/05 1:29 AM) Reply
What a great dress! I love your photos, hair and makeup too! How clever to insert two zippers.
Vonnevo said... (8/26/05 1:26 AM) Reply
Wo..eeeee !! I thought I was looking at a magazine shoot :) A beautiful dress and fabulous modelling.
Nickle said... (8/26/05 1:01 AM) Reply
I love your dress too- the fabric and style. It looks great on you. You look like a movie star in it.
Vibek said... (8/26/05 0:01 AM) Reply
Stunning, stunning, stunning. Only problem is: every male in sight will probably want to rip it right off! Seriously, though, this dress is perfect for you.
PVA said... (8/25/05 11:32 PM) Reply
Oh, what a great dress! It takes me back to when I was a kid. Actually, I don't think I knew anyone who had such a dress, but oh those wonderful matinees at the movie theater & the beautiful stars & their beautiful clothes! Thanks for this review -- & the trip down memory lane. As I burst into song . . . "You ought to be in pictures . . ."
Lou05 said... (8/25/05 11:31 PM) Reply
Nice garment. You've really captured the feeling of the era with your fabric choice and I think your slight changes will only enhance it. You look terrific!
Mary Stiefer said... (8/25/05 11:30 PM) Reply
What a great idea to use two side zippers. This dress is outstanding.
kathi s said... (8/25/05 11:08 PM) Reply
I love your dress and your makeup and hair is perfect! I agree, that pattern would make a wonderful evening dress. Champagne charmeuse comes to mind.
Laurieo said... (8/25/05 10:48 PM) Reply
Lovely dress.. and so flattering on you! Thanks for the great review.

Manequim 04-2012-2211

by: Kathhhhhy

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)