Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 1703-1015 (Meltingly Beautiful Dress)

Viewed 1988 times
Reviewed by:Georgene

About Georgenestarstarstarstar
Member since: 10/5/02
Skill level:Expert/Couture
Posted on:9/22/05 11:32 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
racehorse said... (9/20/11 4:07 PM) Reply
I have never seen this dress before but it came up on the sidebar. Simply gorgeous! I'll have to get some velvet to play around after seeing what you have done with this dress.
Nancy K said... (10/27/08 7:50 PM) Reply
This seems to be one of those rare garments that get better with age. The fabric is gorgeous and it is such a timeless dress. It appeared on the side line, I had never seen the review before, and it drew me in so that I just had to click on it. It is really lovely.
valerie sews said... (3/15/08 5:47 AM) Reply
I'm also glad this review came up on the side bar. This dress/ensemble is an inspiration and I feel jealous of the adventurous life she's had!
Lisa Laree said... (10/23/07 2:37 PM) Reply
Like Karla, when this came up on the sidebar I just had to go admire it all over again. I have dubbed crushed panne velvet the Evil Fabric to Be Avoided, but, hm, y'know, this looks so good.... ;)
Bobinator said... (9/16/07 10:13 AM) Reply
I made a dress for a recital for my dance instructor using the same fabric purchased at Wal-Mart for $1.00 a yard! I swore that I would never, ever again sew with this stuff even though the dress came out very well! Your outfit is absolutely beautiful so say the least!
CarolynGM said... (3/9/07 9:38 AM) Reply
Karla -- Thanks for bringing this to the top. Somehow I missed it when Georgene initially reviewed it. A gorgeous dress with remarkable history!
Karla Kizer said... (3/8/07 8:35 PM) Reply
This came up on the rotisserie and I couldn't resist commenting, just to pull it back from the "archives". There are probably thousands of PR people who didn't get a chance to see it a few years ago.
AnneM said... (9/28/05 5:04 AM) Reply
Just wear it around the house! Lovely, timeless. The trim really adds a nice touch - thanks for sharing that.
Elona said... (9/24/05 10:59 AM) Reply
What a remarkable ensemble--not just the execution (mind-blowing though that is)--but the whole shimmery, Lady-of-the Lake concept. I agree: It really does belong on the back cover of Threads!
SewTabby said... (9/24/05 10:03 AM) Reply
Such a stunning ensemble that looks like a perfect design for almost ANY occasion. Truly outstanding.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (9/23/05 8:37 PM) Reply
Gorgeous, timeless design. I appreciate your sharing your thoughts regarding your fabric and trim, what you did, how it behaved as a result. Very instructive. Thanks!
madcap85 said... (9/23/05 7:15 PM) Reply
It is a beautiful dress, thank you for the review. It makes me want to make one myself, after I finish about 200 lbs of existing fabric off.
Annika said... (9/23/05 6:42 PM) Reply
Holy God, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It is gorgeous!
ryan's mom said... (9/23/05 4:43 PM) Reply
Beautiful is the first word that comes to my mind when looking at your dress! What a stunner!
MickeyFan said... (9/23/05 9:23 AM) Reply
What a treasure. The classic styling makes this dress timeless. I love the story of this ensemble's travels. I think you should document it and keep the tradition going!
Maychi said... (9/23/05 9:00 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! I love the cuffs! So beautiful!
Anne Frances said... (9/23/05 8:09 AM) Reply
I love the combination of dress and cardigan - they look stunning together and it makes the dress so versatile. This is the kind of quality of design and making that turns heads anywhere but actually no money can buy! Fabulous- what an heirloom!
Danvillegirl said... (9/23/05 5:45 AM) Reply
Wow!
PVA said... (9/23/05 0:49 AM) Reply
I think Karla hit the nail on the head! This creation is just what one would find on the back of Threads. It is truly awesome. My dear, you have a tremendous gift & thank heaven you nuture it & grow with it. Thank you for sharing your work with us!
kathi s said... (9/23/05 0:03 AM) Reply
Georgine, the story of your beautiful dress could be made into a movie (sort of like "The Yellow Cadillac" -if you remember that one)! I love your dress!
hongkongshopper said... (9/22/05 11:49 PM) Reply
What a lovely story (and outfit to match). Does it bring good luck like the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants?
Jennifer shaw said... (9/22/05 11:30 PM) Reply
Speechless, just speechless here in SF. It evokes the most wonderful gowns from the golden days of Hollywood of the thirties. Thank you for sharing this luscious gem.
els said... (9/22/05 5:07 PM) Reply
Your dress is still gorgeous while it travelled all over the world. The secret is of course, high quality fabric and trims and your craftsmanship which is the result why this timeless elegant dress is still wearable today. Hope you can find an occasion to wear that dress by yourself soon. BTW did you received a wedding picture from your friends wedding in St.Petersburg ?
Tiner W said... (9/22/05 4:52 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress; beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!
Karla Kizer said... (9/22/05 4:28 PM) Reply
Georgene, it reminds me of something that would be featured on the back cover of Threads. I hope to see it there someday; it's beautiful!
MaryBeth said... (9/22/05 4:18 PM) Reply
How beautiful. If only it could talk, the tales it could tell.... I love the neckline shape of the cardigan and the way it meets the dress's vee. I have to agree with the person who first christened this outfit.
cindyann said... (9/22/05 4:03 PM) Reply
Just lovely! I'm quite suprised that it made it's way back to you. I can see why someone might want to keep it for themselves. ;)
Lisa Laree said... (9/22/05 3:13 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing this...I love the trim ideas!
Evatgirl73 said... (9/22/05 2:48 PM) Reply
What else can be said?? Just stunning! LOVE it!!
PhyllisC said... (9/22/05 2:03 PM) Reply
Oh.My.Gosh...that is so stunning. The trim - the fabric - everything. It's magic Georgene.
Liana said... (9/22/05 1:44 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress Georgene! I can see why it got this name. How nice that it's come home!
Patti B said... (9/22/05 1:41 PM) Reply
How gorgeous and what wonderful tales it could tell of its glamorous life.
LBJ said... (9/22/05 1:33 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I can tell it's the kind of dress that you put on and instantly feel gorgeous.
Georgene said... (9/22/05 1:30 PM) Reply
Ann, this fabric was originally a sample cut from Lee Fashion Fabrics, a wholesaler in NYC. Have you tried Spandex House? It seems like it would be right up their alley.
nheh said... (9/22/05 1:01 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress, and an equally wonderful story to go with it.
GorgeousFabrics said... (9/22/05 1:00 PM) Reply
That is so beautiful Georgene! What a wonderful life that dress has seen. Do you have a source for stretch panne velvet? I'm looking for about 12 yards of it right now. -Ann
Modiste Madness said... (9/22/05 12:45 PM) Reply
A simple design combined with gorgeous and fabric to create a stunning dress. It is beautiful.
Jali said... (9/22/05 12:02 PM) Reply
It's beautiful! It must be such happiness to own a well travelled dress:) with memories aplenty.
Mary Stiefer said... (9/22/05 12:01 PM) Reply
What a fabulous dress. This looks like something you would see on the "red carpet". Stunning.
Cambric Tea said... (9/22/05 11:59 AM) Reply
That is a beautiful dress, Georgene. Very soft and sensuous design, and lovely fabric. Thank you so much for the review! (:
Princess Jenny said... (9/22/05 11:59 AM) Reply
It definitely lives up to its name. Just gorgeous! Stunningly elegant. :)

by: timesha