In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine
  9. Sewing the Skirt
">Sewing Basics Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7947 (Five Easy Pieces)

Reviewed by:SewingBunny

About SewingBunnystar
CT USA
Member since: 7/29/05
Posted on:5/26/07 8:20 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
SewingBunny said... (5/28/07 0:54 AM) Reply
Em's Summer - I also love the vintage style suits! One of the things that attracted me to using this pattern was that it wasn't the typical blazer style suit.
Stilltheone said... (5/27/07 5:07 PM) Reply
WOW! That is fantastic. I love the fabric and the buttons. I think you can say that you are far more advanced than a beginner.
Jennifer shaw said... (5/27/07 12:56 PM) Reply
Great jacket! It looks so polished and perfect with your new skirt. Good luck with your interviews!!
Marji said... (5/27/07 2:52 AM) Reply
Very smart looking. Good luck with the interviews.
Em's Summer said... (5/26/07 10:27 PM) Reply
What a great suit and what a great review! One of my fave vintage 40s patterns is for a jacket that looks very similar to yours, even down to the split dart. Your suit is beautiful! Very well done!
AnneM said... (10/15/06 8:23 PM) Reply
I don't think anyone is going to mistake you for a UPS man anytime soon. Great, quick, smart looking outfit. (Super buttons.)
SewingBunny said... (10/14/06 0:54 AM) Reply
JeanEsther, I used a plain woven cotton fusible I picked up at Joann's. I followed the directions and interfaced the collar and front facing. If I were to make this again I would probably choose something a little less stiff for the front facing - maybe Armo Weft.
Carolyndh said... (10/13/06 8:55 PM) Reply
Your suit really looks professional--perfect for the college job fair, and a great fit on you as well. Well done!
Patzee said... (10/13/06 3:45 PM) Reply
The perfect outfit for a career fair! You chose well.
moss said... (10/13/06 10:28 AM) Reply
that looks sooooooooooo good. My next project (someday!) is going to be a suit. Nice job.
jewelsfashions said... (10/13/06 8:46 AM) Reply
I love how your suit turned out. I also have this pattern. I made the pullover top and never got back to buying material for the jacket and pants. After seeing how yours turned out I will have to make a suit also. Just have a few other projects I have to get done first. Thanks for the review!
squirrellypoo said... (10/13/06 6:27 AM) Reply
Wow, that looks so professional! And great choice on the buttons...
Nickle said... (10/13/06 6:24 AM) Reply
Beautiful suit. Love the buttons.
SBanks said... (10/13/06 4:56 AM) Reply
Nice suit! The buttons really make it unique. Thanks for the tip for a quick, easy suit pattern.
yorkshire lass said... (10/13/06 3:17 AM) Reply
Wow, what a gorgeous suit. As Christine A says, "hard to believe it is an 'easy' pattern". Looks stunning on you and so beautifully fitted.
Ec said... (10/13/06 1:33 AM) Reply
those buttons are ADORABLE!!!! They MAKE the suit! Wow! You'd really impress wearing this suit to an interview!
Mufffet said... (10/12/06 10:52 PM) Reply
This is beautiful. very nice fit, color and your details - the buttons are so very chic. Pretty advanced advanced beginner here.
JeanEsther said... (10/12/06 10:24 PM) Reply
I just pulled this jacket pattern out Sunday and was so pleased to see your review today! What interfacing did you use? Did you interface just where the pattern suggested? The outfit looks great.
Re Becca said... (10/12/06 10:09 PM) Reply
Your buttons do so much to brighten up and add interest to the suit. Great job, I like the fitted look.
nancy2001 said... (10/12/06 8:56 PM) Reply
Aek, your suit is so smart looking. But there must be a glitch in the Vogue pattern info photo. It shows a slinky evening dress that doesn't look anything like a tailored suit.
Erica B. said... (10/12/06 8:44 PM) Reply
Very nice suit. I'm sure this will be a great wardrobe enhancement.
Elemenopeo said... (10/12/06 8:44 PM) Reply
Great interview suit!
ryan's mom said... (10/12/06 8:43 PM) Reply
Your suit looks terrific--very RTW!
Tiner W said... (10/12/06 8:34 PM) Reply
Very lovely!
Robbie Jo said... (10/12/06 7:46 PM) Reply
Very Nice!
CarolynGM said... (10/12/06 7:42 PM) Reply
I made this jacket last year and love it -- wear it a lot. Yours looks so nice on you.
calzone said... (10/12/06 6:27 PM) Reply
I love this suit. What really sets it apart are the buttons and the mandarin collar. Conservative yet stylish.
sewingfordolls said... (10/12/06 6:25 PM) Reply
It really looks beautiful and you obviously did a great job....I love the other one you are working on too....
CarolynD said... (10/12/06 6:05 PM) Reply
This suit is very smart and sophisticated. I have trouble with shoulders sometimes, I don't know if the excess upper sleeve fit is a shoulder fit issue? I never thought I had narrow shoulders but I often have to trim patterns down.
christine A said... (10/12/06 5:40 PM) Reply
Wow. Looks wonderful. It is hard to believe it is an 'easy' pattern as it looks so detailed!

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt