Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2005-142 (Basque Beret)

Reviewed by:licarritc

About licarritcstar
Member since: 9/7/04

Posted on:10/14/05 8:53 AM
Last Updated:10/15/05 8:55 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 3 people

Tesla121 said... (11/8/05 8:35 PM) Reply
soooo chic! I love it!! you look great!
blue mooney said... (10/16/05 8:34 AM) Reply
Tres jolie, indeed! Thanks for pointing out this pattern - I had competely overlooked it!
Jennifer shaw said... (10/15/05 2:22 PM) Reply
I love your beret!! Thanks for posting a picture. C'est magnifique!
Meguiar said... (10/15/05 1:01 PM) Reply
Great hat - it looks terrific on you! Thanks for the review -I hadn't noticed this in the mag either.
Marita Kinnula said... (10/15/05 12:26 PM) Reply
WOW, I love it, looks very becoming on you, congrats!!!!! and thank you for this review, I totally didn't notice it in the mag.
licarritc said... (10/15/05 12:05 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the nice comments! Ann, yes I made it for NYC, to cover bad hair days! Elona, I'll have to go to that website, I have a softspot for hats having grown up outside of Danbury CT. Home of the first hat factories (and the first attempts at unionization)
GorgeousFabrics said... (10/15/05 11:11 AM) Reply
Tres jolie indeed! I love it on you. Are you bringing it to NYC??? -Ann
Elona said... (10/15/05 11:07 AM) Reply
"I guess what makes it basque as opposed to French is that it is sewn not knit in one piece" Cool hat, very cool! This summer, DH and I visited Blanc-Olibet in Ney, way in the south of France. This firm is one of only two manufacturers of berets, all knit and shrunk, not sewn, and the only one producing civilian berets (the other makes the military beret). We asked about the "Basque beret," and they said there's no such thing: The Basques like the hat just fine, but it's a French product, the ancient and traditional headgear of the men of Gascony. Of course, the response could have been nationalistic, and the fact is that they are only an hour from the Spanish border. They have a funky little museum showing the history and manufacture of the hat (www.museeduberet.com), and there's even a shop where you can buy incredibly cute and inventive variations of the hat, made for women. I was tempted!
els said... (10/15/05 10:28 AM) Reply
Your beret looks very cool, thanks for the review and pointing me to this pattern. I should make one too.
Georgene said... (10/15/05 10:11 AM) Reply
Thanks for the photo - you look definitely too cool for school!
Jill Giard said... (10/15/05 9:36 AM) Reply
Very nice! Thanks for the review. I'll definitely be making a few for Christmas gifts!
Mary Stiefer said... (10/15/05 9:16 AM) Reply
Great looking hat or should I say "oo la la"
bunz said... (10/14/05 1:33 PM) Reply
Thanks for the instructions -- this is a yes!!
quiltsammon said... (10/14/05 10:39 AM) Reply
I worried about my kids having big heads too. Their Dad has a MONSTER HEAD!!! But all of them have come out with normal sized heads. THANK GOODNESS!! So funny that other people orry about that too!

by: Sheila457