Pattern Reviews> Wild Ginger> Self drafted pants (My first PMB pants)

Reviewed by:Agnes

vestapatterns.com

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Agnes said... (10/25/05 0:02 AM) Reply
Kathy, I didn't find the program hard to work out at all. The software itself is not difficul to understand. The most important things to getting a fitting sloper to me are: Measurements !!! I can account at least 3 of my slopers to the fact that I took my own measurements. I wasn't patient enough too wait for someone to help me and my crotch length, hip depth and crotch depth measurements where just not taken properly. Tweaking; after I had achieved a reasonable fit with the right measurements the tweaking started. There a quite a few design options that you can use to adjust the fit of the pants. I guess this part can be quite intimidating. What I did is just enter some high values in a one of the boxes to see what this would actually do to the pattern, this gave me an idea what all the options meant. I then reset it to the original setting and started tweaking the setting little by little to get a good fit. You can actually stop before you start "tweaking" and take some pictures of your sloper and sent these of to Wild Ginger, together with your measurements and settings. They will get back to you and advise you on where to go from there. I didn't do this because I'm a very stubborn person who always has to reinvent the invented. But from what I read on the Wild Ginger forum on their website, they are very prompt in answering with regards to fitting issues. I didn't think I had any particulair fitting issues, but the crotch area in pants have always been one of my pet hates. I hate those lines at the front, or the access fabric that I sometimes have at the back just below my bum. This program actually made me understand that I do have an fitting issue in this area and made me understand what it was. So it will be easier to understand why and how to change patterns in the future. I worked out that my problem is the ratio between hip depth and crotch depth. Obviously in commercial patterns a standard is used to determine hip depth and crotch depth based on the crotch length measurement. I found that my crotch depth was actually shorter then usual and my hip depth slightly longer, once I had worked this out the slopers started to fit perfectly! At the moment I'm working on getting to understand the pattern editor and sofar I think this looks far more intimidating then it actually is. As long as you take the time to go through the manuals and are not affraid to make some mistakes you'll be fine. I promised myself one more pair of pants and then it's back to slopers for tops. Sorry this got so long, I hope it helps!
Agnes said... (10/25/05 0:01 AM) Reply

bevaau said... (10/24/05 5:05 PM) Reply
7 slopers!! I too have just received my PMB3 this week and have not done anything yet beyond read all the instructions! Do you have a particularly difficult 'fitting issue' - or is seven slopers normal to get the fit you want? (I have old sheets I plan to use as slopers and my daughter lives miles away so need never see the early trials!!) BevA
Kathy Russell said... (10/24/05 2:28 PM) Reply
I'm so glad you did this review. I too am an advanced beginner. I have been considering the pmb. I really want it but am afraid i won't be able to figure it out. Great review.
Annie- oh said... (10/23/05 4:42 PM) Reply
Agnes - yaaaaaay!! Annie
G_l_e_n_d_a said... (10/23/05 4:04 PM) Reply
Congratulations on a great job. I admire your perseverance!
Agnes said... (10/23/05 3:13 PM) Reply
Kelly, I know exactly what you mean. I can be a little (hmmm...) chaotic, so I knew I would lose track of what I had done. So I decided that for once in my life I was going to get organized. I found myself a folder and printed of the design sheets of the slopers I made and put them in the folder. I marked the slopers as well so I knew which one belonged to which design sheet. I never knew being organized could make my life so much easier.......I should try it more often, lol.
kellyt said... (10/23/05 1:48 PM) Reply
Great review! I have PMB and I have been working through some of the same issues. I have not made 7 yet. Unfortunately, I haven't dug in like you did. I have had breaks in between tweaks, then I forget what I was doing. LOL!

Salme Sewing Patterns 128