J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt
You'll learn :
  • 5 Different Bias Hemming Techniques
  • Working with a variety of fabrics
  • Matching stripes
  • Lining a bias skirt
  • Inserting a ripple free zipper
  • All with the help of HD video which you can play over and over again as many times as you want. Blog Announcements with more photos ">Put it on the Bias Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Indygo Junction> IJ700 (Simple Swing Jacket)

Reviewed by:Moxie

About Moxie
Member since: 11/1/04
Posted on:10/28/05 11:09 PM
Last Updated:10/29/05 8:47 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
persistent said... (5/5/06 3:22 PM) Reply
I made the "Nancy" version with the piped edge. I am new at making piping, but there was alot of bulk wherever the piped edges crossed. I ended up tacking alot of the piped edges so that they didn't bow. I made the suggested button closure and received many compliments. I used bright pinks and purples. I don't think I will make the piped version again, but I'm looking forward to using 2 cotton-like fabrics to make it reversible.
marthamyers said... (1/23/06 5:41 PM) Reply
Great review. Thanks for the tip about stabilizing the neck. I hope to try this with some polished cotton soon.
Moxie said... (10/31/05 10:43 AM) Reply
The swing jacket made up in a heavier wool would be lovely. In fact, that's what I'm looking for my next jacket that will be a Christmas present. I'm pretty sure the neck will still need to be stabilized, at least in the view with a serged edge. I think a lot of the unstable neck edge can be attributed to the shape of the neck line (I'ts somewhat on the bias, I believe.) and the serged neck edge. My last minute neck saved worked great and looks good. On my next jacket I'll just baste a thin strip of the jacket fabric on the underside of neck and serge.
Teri said... (10/30/05 9:25 PM) Reply
Moxie, your jacket looks great. Just in time for the cooler weather:)
Danvillegirl said... (10/30/05 3:42 PM) Reply
I recently purchased this from Nancy's Notions with the DVD. I think it will make up nicely. Yours looks great, glad you reviewed it here.
SewingSusan said... (10/30/05 7:58 AM) Reply
I'm so glad to see a review of this pattern as I've had it for some time now. Do you think if the jacket were made in wool or a heavier weight the neck stablizing wouldn't be an issue? Thanks for the detailed review. Your jacket looks great!
Mini said... (10/29/05 12:11 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket and helpful review. THis pattern was featured on two episodes of the Sewing With Nancy show on public tv, with some nice variations in different fabrics.
Mary Stiefer said... (10/29/05 10:03 AM) Reply
Thanks for a great review. The fabric combinations really made it stand out.
Linda E. said... (10/29/05 7:18 AM) Reply
Lovely jacket love the fabric. Very well written review. thanks for revieiwing this jacket.

by: Sheila457