Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6203 (Misses Evening Separates)

Reviewed by:SewScientist

See other patterns in this category: Tops    Formalwear

Home Sewing Depot

Home Dec Sewing Supplies

SewScientist said... (11/1/05 1:31 PM) Reply
layla, I haven't made one of the shirts yet, I was going to right after I finished a burda skirt I'm working on. However, I just found out that my genetics mid-term is this Friday instead of next as I had originally thought!!!! So sewing has to wait so I can study..... sigh Also, I was thinking that the shirts will cover the bagginess below the back waist if I decide to make another skirt. Or I might look around the website and in some of my sewing books to see if there is an alteration I could do. The skirt would probably be a good piece to start learing how do alterations/fitting on.
layla said... (11/1/05 10:51 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review.. Any pictures of the Top?
Kerry O said... (11/1/05 8:05 AM) Reply
I wish I had your problem of no bum. ;) I bet it looks great on you anyway - I think we're always our worst critics! This is a super nice-looking pattern.
SewScientist said... (10/31/05 9:32 PM) Reply
I sewed the hem using the directions given by the pattern. The hem wasn't the straightest as I had never done a narrow hem before and admitidly didn't put much care into this garment because the skirt was to be used for part of my gypsy costume for Halloween. Maybe that's why I didn't get the waist quite right? Cutting on the bias presented some problems aligning the front and back pieces to sew the side seams, but after some careful manipulation I was able to get the edges even to sew. Give the bias cut a try... maybe use some cheapy slippery fabric like I did to practice on. I'm going to make view F next as I already bought the frog closures and have a great slippery fabric (I think a satin-like fabric) that I would use. I wouldn't know if the mandarin neckline is not flattering to a larger chest as I have a smaller one. Best of luck!
Lori Sews said... (10/31/05 9:07 PM) Reply
Karosel. I have this pattern. I am saving it, because I am afraid to cut slippery fabric on the bias. Did you cut your skirt on the bias? I would love to make the top out of Chinese brocade, and the skirt from charmeuse. I think it would be a gorgeous evening outfit. I am a little leery of making the top though, because I have a full chest. I think this type of top with a mandarin collar suits a flatter chest. It was an impulse buy. I would love to hear if you cut your skirt on the bias, and what kind of hem you used. Thanks.

Sewing Workshop Chopin Blouse Pattern