Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8198 (Wedding/Evening Dress)

Reviewed by:Amy T

About Amy T
WA USA
Member since: 11/16/04
Posted on:11/8/05 2:51 PM
Last Updated:11/8/05 2:55 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear

Sweater knit fabrics

momkoz said... (12/16/07 12:44 PM) Reply
wow!! i am a plus woman. if i could only look like you in that dress! awesome, just awesome. :)
thujaplicata said... (11/3/06 3:36 PM) Reply
I think you did a wonderful job - based on the photo the dress looks quite lovely on you. Very nice choice of color with your hair/complexion. Bravo! ps - also greatly enjoyed reading your corset experience. You are an intrepid and adventurous sewer!
Amy T said... (11/12/05 1:34 PM) Reply
Wow! I've had a busy and stressful week, and finally made it back to PR today--you guys really made my day with all the positive comments! I may actually wear it to that Christmas party after all, especially since it has 5 more weeks to "age" before then. Maybe I will try it without the "panniers" or the full petticoat and see if it feels less poofy that way, also. Again, many, many thanks for everyone's input!
MaryBeth said... (11/12/05 7:09 AM) Reply
You can't beat the fit on the bodice and neckline: perfect! and a perfect style for you. Congratulations!!!! I think your polyester fabric is not draping in the skirt as perfectly as it could had it been a silk so maybe that's what's making you feel too voluminous. However, I also think this dress was worth the effort: you do look so regal!
sue77 said... (11/11/05 10:04 PM) Reply
This looks so elegant on you... the fabrics are absolutely beautiful!
MarilynB said... (11/10/05 7:54 AM) Reply
You look marvelous! I agree with your sister about aging the garment. I have had the same experience several times before and those pieces later turned out to be some of my favorite. Thanks for a wonderful review. I will remember this pattern if I need a formal gown.
redhead said... (11/9/05 2:26 PM) Reply
You are amazing in this dress. Great job, and thanks for telling us all about your process. I want to make a fancy gown one day, and I learned a lot from you.
Gigi Louis said... (11/9/05 11:45 AM) Reply
I think you look absolutely gorgeous in this dress! It really shows off your hourglass figure. You did an excellent job on the sewing and fitting. I never would have attempted anything like this in the early days. I agree you should upgrade your skill level!
Moxie said... (11/9/05 11:22 AM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful and you look beautiful in it. You are to be commended on staying with this project to the end. Also, all the research you did for both the corset and the dress is inspiring.
Harriet Rogers said... (11/9/05 8:11 AM) Reply
Wow! This is fabulous, and I think you look gorgeous in the style and the color. I also think you should take off the "beginner" in your rating: just leave "advanced": this looks like a very accomplished garment: 4 stars.
SewVeryTall said... (11/9/05 4:25 AM) Reply
I just love that fabric...the dress is beautiful and you look great in it!
Lori V said... (11/8/05 8:10 PM) Reply
You look beautiful in your gown. You did a marvelous job.
Kerry O said... (11/8/05 8:09 PM) Reply
Seriously, what everyone else has said - that is a STUNNING dress, and you look drop-dead gorgeous in it. It shows off your figure and you look so pretty in it! I am in awe of your talent. :)
AliceB said... (11/8/05 6:13 PM) Reply
Amy, Your dress is absolutely beautiful. The first thing I noticed looking at the picture was NO drag lines in the fitted bodice--that is a work of art!!! Be proud of your accomplishment.
Kim Winson said... (11/8/05 5:45 PM) Reply
I agree, beautiful dress! Thanks for the excellent review!
zeoplum said... (11/8/05 5:13 PM) Reply
I hate to break it to you but that is a drop-dead gorgeous dress and it's extremely flattering on you. I saw the pic before I read your review and thought wow, now I bet she is just tickled pink with how that turned out. I agree with your sister, put it away and give it some time. Eventually you'll see what we see. And if you should decide to sell it, I want it! (hehe...j/k....I couldn't afford it!) Seriously, it's fabulous!!!!
Pam Z said... (11/8/05 4:50 PM) Reply
Gorgeous gown, Amy! LOVE the color and the fit...and marvelous job on the invisible zip. Well done!
els said... (11/8/05 4:28 PM) Reply
Amy your ball gown dress looks lovely on you.
moushka said... (11/8/05 4:27 PM) Reply
Amy - You look beautiful in your dress! Don't give a second thought to the fashion status of gathered sleeves - they'll be back in a one of these days. There's a good reason why women have worn fitted bodices, full skirts and full sleeves for centuries - they actually fit our curves ;-) Your dress is a classic. Hope you get invited to another ball!
G_l_e_n_d_a said... (11/8/05 4:25 PM) Reply
Stunning! What a fantastic accomplishment.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (11/8/05 4:15 PM) Reply
You look like a princess and look what you learned. What a beautiful dress! Job well done.
PegL said... (11/8/05 4:14 PM) Reply
Your ball gown is beautiful and you look gorgeous in it! I agree with beangirl -- you really must upgrade your level listing!!
Nickle said... (11/8/05 3:49 PM) Reply
Your did a beautiful job and it looks lovely on you.
Mary Stiefer said... (11/8/05 3:38 PM) Reply
You look like Cinderella in her ball gown. How beautiful.
Peggy L said... (11/8/05 3:33 PM) Reply
Amy - what an achievement! It looks great on you. I have the same philosphy as your sister. Lots of times I have hung something in the closet and gone back a couple of weeks later and decided "this looks pretty good!". I think we just get tired of the garment!!
GorgeousFabrics said... (11/8/05 3:30 PM) Reply
Oh you look lovely! You look like the Countess in Mozart's Marriage of Figaro. Brava! -Ann
sewcrazy52 said... (11/8/05 3:19 PM) Reply
What's so BAD about the outfit? Tell us please!!
beangirl said... (11/8/05 3:06 PM) Reply
wow! OK, NOW you really must upgrade your level listing. This is very nicely sewn from the looks of it. (And congratulations! First invisible zipper! Yay!) And btw, you do look very nice in your dress. If I had to wear an evening gown, I'd look like a troll doll in drag. What I'll do if I'm invited to the Oscars, I just don't know... :-)
twistedangel said... (11/8/05 3:00 PM) Reply
This turned out fabulous! Congratulations!
Steffie said... (11/8/05 2:53 PM) Reply
I think you look lovely in the dress. It turned out great!

StyleArc Steffi Jacket