Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6730 (Misses Knit Tops, Skirts, and)

Reviewed by:beangirl

Last Updated:11/26/05 10:00 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Loungewear

Modiste Madness said... (11/27/05 5:20 AM) Reply
Thanks for the honest and frank review. Sometimes we ALL learn more from from our attempts to make something work than the ones that everything went well. It is so much easier learning from someone else than having to make all the mistakes ourselves. I would be very happy that you came out of it with a t-shirt that you like and fits you fairly well. Too often we can't salvage anything. Your daughters t-shirt is adorable. I bet she loves it.
beangirl said... (11/26/05 7:28 AM) Reply
Georgene, thanks for the idea. I wasn't sure about the pegged skirt, so I thought I'd give it a try. I try to avoid a-line skirts generally out of habit because I swim in RTW a-lines and they're not flattering at all. Need to get out of that habit. All the "fix" ideas are good, I'm thinking I'll probably turn them both into shirts and be perfectly happy with them.
Georgene said... (11/26/05 0:08 AM) Reply
In this type of knit dress, using an A-line skirt shape, rather than a straight skirt is generally more flattering. Then you don't need the walking slits, and the bottom falls in gentle folds. A center back seam can help by giving you the possibility to gently shape the waist in and add a bit extra at the seat if needed.
PVA said... (11/25/05 11:49 PM) Reply
Thanks for this very well-done review, I think the above comments have some really good ideas for a "save"! The fabric is such a pretty color & I'm certain very comfortable to wear. As a top & skirt it might turn into a real "keeper"!
Katharine in BXL said... (11/25/05 10:51 PM) Reply
I agree with Bunz. They're hard to wear for most of us. But nice try anyway! Glenda has a good salvage idea. Did you do a FBA? That might give you the proper chest room. Next time baste in the zipper area before sewing one in to check if you need it.
CatherineN said... (11/25/05 7:29 PM) Reply
I like the neckline and you got a nice looking fit through the shoulders. The skirt included in the pattern has graceful lines. If you have enough fabric it would make a good matching outfit that would look like a dress.
G_l_e_n_d_a said... (11/25/05 5:44 PM) Reply
If you like the fabric, you might convert it into a top and skirt. I have done that with a knit dress I picked up at the thrift store as an experiment. I would never wear the dress, and it was too tight in the abdomen, but it was long enough that I could cut off the bottom half, move it up, attach an elastic waist band, and it's not half bad.
bunz said... (11/25/05 4:59 PM) Reply
Knit dresses are only flattering if you're a size 4, IMHO.

Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick SB300