Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5106 (Bolero Jacket)

Viewed 2010 times
Reviewed by:SuzanM

About SuzanMstar
NE USA
Member since: 11/11/04
Posted on:11/22/05 2:08 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Cultured Purl said... (3/15/12 2:43 AM) Reply
Thank you kindly for the details you offered! I am late here but looking up reviews to re update this jacket for myself,,,,why had I NEVER thought to adds in seams ( CB) for shaping, or add darts as one other reviewer did! This is such a classic that many years later I am STILL looking up advice and I bet you are still wearing this jacket,,, it is beautiful!
SueKing said... (12/8/06 3:53 PM) Reply
Suzan - beautiful jacket! I am planning on making Textile Studio #1303 (Florence jacket) - it is not lined but I want to make it reversible. What is Shannon Gifford's stitch and flip method? Sue
blue mooney said... (11/24/05 7:20 AM) Reply
Very refined version of the Bolero. It looks like the kind of piece you will wear again and again. Thanks for the details on the alterations you did.
Peggy L said... (11/23/05 4:58 PM) Reply
This looks great. I have been wanting to make this variation. Love the buttons.
MarionP said... (11/23/05 1:33 PM) Reply
Hi Suzan-Nice Jacket-I'm curious about the felting treatment. What steps did you follow to felt your wool?
Liana said... (11/23/05 0:08 AM) Reply
Suzan, Your review is great! I didn't realize what pattern this was when I got to see it IN PERSON tonight. (All others, be very jealous.) It's even prettier in real life, and I have some of those buttons too! I'm sure Sew Creative will be happy to sell over the internet, but they're having trouble getting good photos of the buttons. They're almost like carnival glass in that they change colors with the angle. Very beautiful, and great on your jacket, especially!
kathi s said... (11/22/05 11:19 PM) Reply
I really like the way your jacket fits- I think it's a great improvement on the boxy original. How did the sleeves fit? Did you have to alter them?
SuzanM said... (11/22/05 9:40 PM) Reply
Thanks for your kind comments. The store is called Sew Creative, web site is www.sewcreative-ne.com. They don't sell over the internet but I will mention this to the owners. They are trying a lot of innovative things to spark interest in their store and sewing. They may be open to selling via the internet. I'll keep you posted.
Modiste Madness said... (11/22/05 8:32 PM) Reply
I love the addition of the buttons. They really change its look. I lost my Pendleton fabric source also. I understand from the store manager that only a few outlet stores carry the fabric now.
Danvillegirl said... (11/22/05 7:49 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks great! I really love the fabric. It is a shame the source has dried up. Love the adaptation and the use of buttons. Adds a lot more to the look of this jacket.
Jennifer shaw said... (11/22/05 7:13 PM) Reply
Thank you for sharing your review. That is one great looking jacket! I was wondering about adding buttonholes to this jacket!
PVA said... (11/22/05 6:55 PM) Reply
Lovely result, thanks for the review! I too would be interested if there is a web site for those buttons. To die for!
kathleenb said... (11/22/05 6:34 PM) Reply
I love your changes. The jacket is elegant. That CB seam sure makes a difference. Did you have to change the sleeve width at all?
sidney said... (11/22/05 6:06 PM) Reply
wonderful buttons--do they have a website?????
Georgene said... (11/22/05 4:34 PM) Reply
Looks good, even in the blurry photo. Now that's a tribute to a great jacket!
Lisa Laree said... (11/22/05 4:24 PM) Reply
This looks really good, Suzan, in spite of the camera ;) Was the only shaping you added at the CB? It really looks like it made a huge difference!
SouthernStitch said... (11/22/05 4:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review, I'm doing up my muslin right now, and I'm loving it.

by: nanneke