Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6114 (Misses Dress, Jacket, Top and)

Reviewed by:Lori Sews

About Lori Sewsstar
FL
Member since: 10/20/05
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:11/26/05 9:38 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Dresses    Coat/Jacket    Suits / Separates
Peggy L said... (11/27/05 8:19 PM) Reply
Don't be so hard on yourself - it looks great and we all learned so much in that class. My solution for those tops I have that are just a bit tight is to wear them unbuttoned!! Beautiful color and style on you! Like Ryan's Mom said - you might try one with a fuller bust. The shoulders look like they fit really well. If you go up in size, it might be too big. Great review.
Lori Sews said... (11/27/05 9:24 AM) Reply
Thank you for the kind and encouraging comments. :) Ryan's Mom--I don't know if I will make this for the muslin class. I think I am going to start off with a very simple top with darts. I need to keep it simple. If I complete that, I think I may try another jacket pattern---maybe the one you used.
ryan's mom said... (11/27/05 8:32 AM) Reply
NurseLRT, your jacket looks great! Have your thought abut using one of those patterns that has the B/C/D cup fronts? Jacket patterns do tend to be on the small side these days--I had to pivot from the armhole on mine out an inch at the waist. That was even after using the D-cup front. I'm not used to these tiny jackets, so I think part of the adjustment is getting used to the way it feels. Do you think you will use this pattern for the Muslin class?
JDpenelope said... (11/27/05 7:34 AM) Reply
Your ambition and determination are admirable in tackling this project. As others have said, armed with all you have learned, it might pay off handsomely if you tried again. I'm still working on fitting a muslin before tackling a jacket with my "good" fabric. You make me want to jump in and get on with it.
Danvillegirl said... (11/27/05 6:45 AM) Reply
Even though you are not quite happy with the jacket results. It is apparent that you know now what you need to do to get a better fit and what style you would want to try that is different from this one. Also learning a new technique and sewing a jacket for the first time is commendable. You are well on your way of getting the next one made to perfection.
Nickle said... (11/27/05 3:12 AM) Reply
Well I think it looks nice on you- the style is tighter little jackets now but their not for everyone. It sounds like this was a good learning experience for you.
Leora said... (11/26/05 10:49 PM) Reply
I think you did a great job. You are armed with so much more knowledge than you give yourself credit for. BjP is right in that you should make it again because it is flattering on you and only needs a little tweak here and there to be a perfect fit.
PVA said... (11/26/05 10:15 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review -- I took Shannon's class last time it was offered & I really like her SNF technique. I'm willing to bet you learned awhole lot more about sewing jackets than you even begin to realize yet! I like this pattern & I thank you for making me aware of it. I'm looking forward to more reviews from you.
BjP said... (11/26/05 9:52 PM) Reply
Thanks for a very honest review but don't be so hard on yourself! Sounds like you really gained a lot of experience and a jacket is never the easiest thing to make. I think you should make this up again, making all the adjustments you feel you needed in this one. I agree that the V-neck is a flattering style on you.

Understanding Wool Fabrics