Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Nikko Jacket (Nikko Jacket)

Reviewed by:Liana

About Lianastarstarstarstar
NE USA
Member since: 8/31/03
Posted on:12/3/05 1:54 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
See other patterns in this category: Quilts
Leslie Bonner said... (12/23/05 10:00 AM) Reply
What a great gift your sister is getting. Love the fabric and the extras. This is my very favorite throw on jacket in black wool crepe. I need to make a new one as it is practically threadbare.
Danvillegirl said... (12/4/05 8:04 PM) Reply
This turned out very nice. I like your Haiku Two jacket also.
Harriet Rogers said... (12/4/05 5:46 PM) Reply
I'd say you have one lucky sister! This is a beautiful one-of-a-kind jacket. And...welcome to the world of Sewing Workshop patterns: I love their designs, and usually find the instructions to be excellent.
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (12/4/05 1:28 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket, cool topstitching technique!
BSYMPLS said... (12/4/05 1:21 PM) Reply
Liana, Great review and wonderful results. Love your ideas that make this jacket so special. Thanks for sharing the details.
touran said... (12/4/05 10:38 AM) Reply
Your inspired treatment of this jacket is so eye-opening for me. Beautiful work.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (12/4/05 8:15 AM) Reply
Thanks for sharing. Love how you integrated your embroidery to the fabric design. This pattern is so classic. I made a blue linen version years ago, and mine's still going strong.
PixieCat said... (12/4/05 4:23 AM) Reply
Your jacket is beautiful! I love the fabric and the hanging pocket is an interesting touch. I like it!
Pecan said... (12/3/05 9:53 PM) Reply
Thank you very much for this informative review. Like your style of reviewing and very thankful for the pictures, especially close-ups. I think I will add this pattern to my wishlist.
Liana said... (12/3/05 8:26 PM) Reply
Thank you all for such kind comments! MaryBeth, the fleece HaikuTwo is a "muslin" for the one I'm finishing right now, and I'll review them together soon. Bunz, I've learned you have to snap up what you want at EOS, or it's gone forever. Ask me how I know that! sewsageblue, the embossing was not a problem to sew through for regular construction, although the roller foot probably helped.
SewLimited said... (12/3/05 8:22 PM) Reply
Very nice. I've been seeing more of these embossed fabrics - was the embossing hard to sew thru for the regular construction?
hongkongshopper said... (12/3/05 4:30 PM) Reply
Thanks Liana for a great review. Love the jacket!
Gilraen Surion said... (12/3/05 1:58 PM) Reply
This is wonderful. Absolutely adore it.
CatherineN said... (12/3/05 1:31 PM) Reply
You do such beautiful, careful work with a creative flair.
bunz said... (12/3/05 1:28 PM) Reply
So you're the one who snagged that fabric! :-) Great use of it and love your topstitching.
CarolynGM said... (12/3/05 12:42 PM) Reply
Such an original creation. I especially like the topstitching. Your sister is very fortunate to be the recipient of such a beautiful jacket.
Enid E said... (12/3/05 11:51 AM) Reply
oh, what a beautiful jacket, I love the color!
G_l_e_n_d_a said... (12/3/05 11:13 AM) Reply
You are so brave to sew for someone else without fittings! Love your attention to detail, as always.
Tailypo said... (12/3/05 11:10 AM) Reply
I really like what you have done with that thread, too. And you are right, this has many more interesting details (I've never seen a hanging patch pocket before -- cool!) than the illustration lets on. Helpful review, thanks.
Linda E. said... (12/3/05 10:58 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket you did a wonderful job making it your own design.
MaryBeth said... (12/3/05 10:47 AM) Reply
Liana: I love your use of the varigated thread. Simple and sweet, but girl, I looked through your photo album (again) and saw the fleece Haiku 2 and love that use of fleece. I'd never thought to use that pattern for fleece!! Did you do a review of that one here? Sorry to redirect your thread here but I'm scamming on my huge fleece stash...:)
Susan R said... (12/3/05 9:56 AM) Reply
A beautiful jacket. I especially love the way you did the topstitching.
suswiz said... (12/3/05 9:24 AM) Reply
Excellent review! I loved your ideas (topstitching & closure) and the way they look on this fabric!
Mufffet said... (12/3/05 9:10 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous. The topstitching is an inspiration. Lovely garment and fabric.
zeoplum said... (12/3/05 8:20 AM) Reply
Great job. I'm not extremely familiar with Sewing Workshop patterns but from the looks of the drawings, I don't think I would've been inspired to make this jacket until I saw your example. I bet they'll sell more of this pattern now! Thanks for sharing your creation. With the details you've added to it, plus that great piece of fabric from EOS, it's truly a one-of-a-kind piece of art. :-)
Mary Stiefer said... (12/3/05 8:16 AM) Reply
I love your topstitching effect. It really makes a big difference in this pattern. Great looking jacket.
Nickle said... (12/3/05 7:19 AM) Reply
Oh thats pretty, I like the topstitching detail. I bet your sister will love it.
SewVeryTall said... (12/3/05 7:05 AM) Reply
Very nice! I like the way you stopped your decorative stitching for the embossed leaves...cool idea!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (12/3/05 7:03 AM) Reply
This is beautiful. My favorite part is how you treated the topstitching and the leaves.
SuzanM said... (12/3/05 6:47 AM) Reply
Fabulous jacket and I love all of your details, especially the closure. Can I be your sister?
JDpenelope said... (12/3/05 6:33 AM) Reply
Outstanding! You have made your first Sewing Workshop pattern your own. I can see why you want one for yourself. Love the "grass" topstitching with variegated thread.
ClaireC said... (12/3/05 5:26 AM) Reply
Liana, this jacket came out beautifully. I was looking at that fabric and now wish I had snagged some. Your sister will be very happy with her present.

Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern