Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> dv-sc (Shrunken Cardigan & Cami)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Skill level:Beginner

Posted on:12/3/05 2:33 PM
Last Updated:12/3/05 3:15 PM

Weif said... (4/27/11 8:27 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket! I purchased this pattern as well and thought I may try it in a boiled wool. Thanks for the tips on the trim.
cboots said... (12/5/05 12:18 PM) Reply
Very detailed review. Thanks! I think your solution looks really cool.
GorgeousFabrics said... (12/4/05 7:17 PM) Reply
Great review as always Dr. Sue. I first looked at the picture and wondered what was up with the trim. It's very cool in a deconstructionist way. Would a bias piping work on this pattern, do you think? -Ann
PhyllisC said... (12/4/05 12:56 PM) Reply
Great jacket - it looks to be 99% tweaked to me! I do the same petite bodice adustments that you do.
drsue said... (12/4/05 10:19 AM) Reply
Thank you all for your encouraging comments. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who had concerns regarding the trim. Eli: It is not very fitted at all, if fact it's rather boxy. I think shrunken in this case just means short.
ClaireC said... (12/4/05 5:45 AM) Reply
Very nice jacket. Thank you for the detailed review and instructions. I'm with AnneM, I think I would smooth out the notch to make life easier. When you make the cami, I too would like to see them on you.
Eli said... (12/3/05 11:25 PM) Reply
Drsue, I have a question regarding this pattern. "Shrunken" should mean a cardigan that is not only shorter but with really snug fit actually (shrunken throughout). Then, I saw on the hotpatterns site that it has no darts, just sideseam shaping. So, I wonder, what is your impression - is the fit really snug or is it just a short cardigan.
lmg said... (12/3/05 9:54 PM) Reply
I, too, have this pattern and was trying to figure out how to do the trim, if at all. Thanks for all the great tips and pictures! Great looking jacket. I bet you will get a lot of wear from it.
PVA said... (12/3/05 9:05 PM) Reply
Great jacket, Dr. Sue thanks for the review. I'd love to see it on you. Be sure to review it if/when you make it again!
SewLimited said... (12/3/05 8:03 PM) Reply
I also have this pattern but was waiting for reviews as I was a little worried about the trim. Thank you for the help!
jemgirlca said... (12/3/05 6:38 PM) Reply
Great jacket, I have this pattern and have been trying to pictures the trim on the collar. I think someone mentioned that they sewed the collar and facing right sides together, turned and then applied trim on the top edge. Maybe that was to solve that problem? Anyway, your solution looks great.
SansSouci572 said... (12/3/05 6:19 PM) Reply
It has a retro-feel to it too... It looks great. Thanks for the construction pcs, I have this pattern!
AnneM said... (12/3/05 6:16 PM) Reply
Sneaky, very sneaky. Thanks for sharing your clever trim solution. This is one of the patterns I am looking at. I would probably smooth out the collar to make it a shawl collar sans notch. Let us know how the cami comes out as well! Thanks for such a thorough review.
Nickle said... (12/3/05 6:07 PM) Reply
Even with the trim problems you encountered, I think the your jacket turned out nice, and I do think the trim gave it the special touch.
Gigi Louis said... (12/3/05 5:30 PM) Reply
Really cute! This is on my list.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (12/3/05 5:26 PM) Reply
Looks wonderful! Great job, as always.
Sew4Fun said... (12/3/05 4:58 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I have eyed this pattern many times. That "optional" dart looks suspiciously like the one that drafts in PMB for this collar. Users have found the collar sits a LOT better if you sew the dart. It's not really optional if you want a professional look. HTH.
bunz said... (12/3/05 4:43 PM) Reply
Quite a "muslin"!!
Modiste Madness said... (12/3/05 3:41 PM) Reply
Thanks for being one of the sewing pioneers with this line of patterns. You hard work paid off. You have a really cute jacket to wear.
MaryBeth said... (12/3/05 3:34 PM) Reply
Oh course, you're a bit spacey right now...you've poured all your creative juices into this jacket! It's darling, I'd love to see it on you, too. Congrats on your outcome and thanks for figuring out the details for us. BTW, for those who haven't encountered one before, that fisheye dart helps the lapel turn and lay better.
drsue said... (12/3/05 3:14 PM) Reply
Tailypo: thanks for noticing that wierd error. Obviously, I'm a bit spacey right now.
CarolynGM said... (12/3/05 2:59 PM) Reply
Very clever solution to the trim challenge! The jacket looks very stylish and classic at the same time. Thanks for an excellent review.
joan said... (12/3/05 2:50 PM) Reply
Thanks, for the very thorough review, especially dealing with a notched collar and the trim. It turned out lovely and is tres chic.
Tailypo said... (12/3/05 2:49 PM) Reply
Wow -- I barely even understand the solution you came up with to your trim issues, but it looks terrific! Btw, you wrote: "I probably would not have used the sleeves at all except I thought the jacket was a bit dull without them." Do you mean the pockets? Anyway, nice, trendy alternative to a traditional jacket. Can't wait to see the cami.

Lutterloh OOP Lutterloh Sup175 #267