Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Green Pepper> 846 (Fingerless Gloves)

Reviewed by:Trinity.

About Trinity.starstar
MA USA
Member since: 10/9/05
Posted on:12/18/05 1:08 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
Wytoski said... (11/15/07 12:48 PM) Reply
i'm in the midst of these for xmas presents and i was so lost. thanks! still lost but i have a map!?!
MelC said... (9/16/06 5:37 AM) Reply
I almost bought this pattern yesterday (Sept. 06). I really appreciate your review. I love fingerless gloves for working on the farm. This pattern sounds like a challenge. I'll just hope the RTW pair I already own hang in there. It was great to learn about their sizing. Your review is very helpful!
Hilary said... (12/19/05 5:30 PM) Reply
These look really hard! I tried to make gloves years ago for my dsis and gave up long before i finished! Way too hard! Kudos to you for sticking it out and making it work, even if they are too big for you :oP maybe you could shrink the pattern somehow?
Trinity. said... (12/19/05 3:10 PM) Reply
From a practical standpoint you wouldn't have to hem these. They are a knit and they won't fray. But the fabric does curl and get stretched out since the finger edges are cut on the stretch. Both DH and I thought they looked kinda ragged without being finished. I have since wondered of it wouldn't work to put baby yarn in the loopers of the serger and serge the finger edges in order to finish them. I'll give this a try after Christmas.
Muria said... (12/19/05 12:02 PM) Reply
I've thought about making this pattern for my computer users at home, as their hands are always like ice. Thanks for the review. I was thinking this would be easy with polar fleece because you don't have to hem, so I'm glad you disabused me of my notion that it would be easy. :) Fiddly pieces tend to make me frustrated, so I guess I'll pass on this one after all.
AnneM said... (12/19/05 8:00 AM) Reply
I have basically decided that I am going to pass on sewing gloves. Too much small stuff! Those certainly look good.
Tonya said... (12/18/05 10:52 PM) Reply
A unique pattern - I didn't know this existed. Thanks for reviewing, and for the heads-up on the sizing.
PhyllisC said... (12/18/05 2:27 PM) Reply
!/8 inch seams? Eye yi yi...I give immense credit to you for tackling gloves! A while back Ann (Gorgeous Things) made a pair and her observations were very similar to yours. I've also noticed that Green Pepper unisex sizing is pretty much men's sizing. Good review!
Mandolin82 said... (12/18/05 1:40 PM) Reply
Because it is fleece you don't need to finish the edges if you don't want to. I made some of these recently but in a very rough and fast way. THey didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours.

by: Sheila457