Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8246

vestapatterns.com

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

AnneM said... (1/1/06 8:22 AM) Reply
Bummer. Good information, between your reviews and the helpful comments people added. Hope you have better luck next time around!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (12/31/05 3:20 AM) Reply
Thank all you lovely ladies for your sympathy. I briefly felt very sorry for myself. I think all of you are correct and and the pile and slight stretch of the corduroy caused problems. Also the extra information about the dart and a fix for the sleeve cap is VERY helpful. Vonnevo, I'm going to look up your review. Thank you! Vonnevo, I looked at your jacket and the sleeve caps are beautiful. Mine are not as good as yours yet, but I didn't have this problem with Burda 8530.
Vonnevo said... (12/31/05 2:54 AM) Reply
Cathy I'm sad to hear of your disappointment. As Barbara mentioned, after a few days, you may be able to salvage it into a vest. I came across a very similar problem with stretch corduroy when making the jacket in my review of Burda 8390. The sleeve gathers might have happenned because the corduroy is much bulkier than a regular woven fabric, as mentioned on the pattern. The bulk doesnt allow for the sleeves to ease in as easily and Burda often have a generous amount of easing in the sleeve cap. I also had an oblique dart on a princess seam and it didnt seem to lie as flat as normal because of the pile. I must have put those sleeves in three times and eventually I moved the stitching line in a tad so there was less to gather.
Barbara R said... (12/31/05 0:58 AM) Reply
What a shame to be so disappointed after all that work! If the fabric hasn't already made it to the dumpster, maybe you can salvage it and use the pieces to make a pieced vest or something!
kwpanthermom said... (12/31/05 0:53 AM) Reply
I'm sorry you had such a bad time with this pattern. The line drawings don't show gathered sleeve caps, so that would have annoyed me too if they ended up being gathered! As for the little dart coming out of the princess line, I haven't seen that in a long while. The little dart is sometimes used if the princess line doesn't come right over the bustpoint; the princess seam is offset to the outside and the dart accomodates the fullness needed to the bust point. Chin up and better luck with your next project!

Simplicity A1738 OOP