Pattern Reviews> Folkwear> 102 (French Cheesemaker's Smock)

Viewed 1928 times
Reviewed by:Tina Rathbone

About Tina Rathbonestar
Member since: 9/16/02
Posted on:9/21/02 2:12 AM
Last Updated:9/21/02 8:23 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
kathi s said... (3/13/04 10:13 AM) Reply
Absolutely love that shirt! I might be able to get my DH into it after a good dinner, a lot of wine and a backrub~ hmmm.
said... (10/28/02 4:58 PM) Reply
Wow, Terry, what a great idea. I have lots of French ribbon: it look's like I'll have to make one for me! Oooh, silk charmuese is calling to me! :)
said... (10/28/02 4:45 PM) Reply
Folkwear ought to pay you for this photo for advertising - would sell the pattern to me (if I didn't already own it!) Everything topnotch. Incidentally, I made this shirt (in the early 1980s) for a friend who wanted it to look "Russian" - so I put some "Russian" looking braid on the neckband and the opening placket. The braid was a bit narrow - so I sewed 2 strips side by side for the placket, single width for the neckband - it gave the shirt a very ethnic look - my friend wore it in a Bartok recital (he was choir master) and it looked great. Just an idea = Fokwear can be very versatile with simple additions or subtractions
said... (9/30/02 1:36 AM) Reply
The picture of her husband makes the shirt look nicer than the folkwear web site.
said... (9/26/02 1:07 AM) Reply
now where do we get a pattern for the husband inside the shirt?...what a hunk!!
said... (9/23/02 7:17 PM) Reply
Just beautiful! BTW, how about a sewing retreat at your house? :-)
said... (9/23/02 3:55 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the great comments, everyone. The next version may be a silk tweed or ?? :)
said... (9/22/02 11:18 PM) Reply
Just goes to show that this pattern works for a variety of sizes and body types. Made two for my sons' performance of Fiddler on the Roof 3 years ago. I also used a heavier fabric and it worked well - a bit tricky on the narrow binding, but not impossible. For men with any sort of a paunch, or for women with medium to large bust measurement, be sure to allow extra length for evening up the hem in front - "it rides up with wear".
said... (9/22/02 7:53 PM) Reply
good photos showing details and good review-glad you deservidly feel good about project
said... (9/22/02 7:09 PM) Reply
Tina, well done!! That came out beautifully. I have made lots of Folkwear patterns, and my husband loves band-collar shirts. Time to get this one. He's not quite as ideally shaped as your husband, but I suppose will still look good... :-)
said... (9/22/02 2:17 PM) Reply
What a beautifully made shirt and what a handsome model. (from his mother)
said... (9/22/02 1:08 PM) Reply
Tina - great job! I can tell from your husband's smile that he loves his shirt. I agree with Mini's comments - this style looks totally modern again.
said... (9/22/02 11:46 AM) Reply
That looks wonderful. I have made a similar Folkwear style, the Missouri Boatman's Shirt. The underarm gusset makes it super comfortable. Men look so good in this old fashioned type of shirt-I wonder why it ever went out of style?
said... (9/22/02 2:40 AM) Reply
Great looking shirt, on a great-looking guy! Nice work on both, Tina.
said... (9/22/02 2:37 AM) Reply
Tina, Not only does the garment itself look great, it is a totally becoming style on the gentleman in the pix. And my DH is slim... wonder if I can persuade him (midwestern conservative) to wear such? REALLY LOOKS GREAT!
said... (9/21/02 10:14 PM) Reply
Tina, the shirt looks REALLY GOOD!
said... (9/21/02 8:40 PM) Reply
That twill really did work well. I like it unironed too. I think it looks better than the picture they have on the pattern site!
said... (9/21/02 4:13 AM) Reply
I'll post a picture tomorrow when the 'model' is ready. :) It's amazing how well the heavy twill adapted to a shirting-weight pattern.
said... (9/21/02 4:07 AM) Reply
This is an interesting pattern to make. I made it a couple of times for my son when he was in college.
said... (9/21/02 3:10 AM) Reply
pretty cool Tina! I like this pattern.

Burda 7214