Online Sewing Class: Bust Adjustments

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6149 (raglan-sleeve V-neck top)

Reviewed by:Julia Graham

About Julia Grahamstar
CO
Member since: 4/12/02
Posted on:9/21/02 12:45 PM
Last Updated:9/21/02 12:45 PM
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Skirts
kathi s said... (3/13/04 10:02 AM) Reply
Great review- there will be no surprizes for anyone who uses this pattern. Thank you!
Katharine in BXL said... (9/3/03 5:02 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review! I am planning to sew the top. Was worried about the decollete dip too--phew! You could try hemming with narrow clear elastic fed through your serger, using a taping foot or regular one and watching it doesn't move over to the knives. They'll just nick it but won't damage it, worst case. I've used narrow clear elastic (Nancy's Notions sells 1/4") for stabilizing stretchy seams.
candyo said... (3/6/03 11:56 PM) Reply
I also made -and like- this pattern. I used foldover elastic on the neckline, which I stretched while applying to prevent a wavy, stretched out neckline. For the hems, I just used a knit stitch and avoided stretching the fabric. That always works for me. Also, I never use rolled hems on knits anymore, because they are too bulky and flip up when you wash the garment.
said... (9/22/02 11:03 PM) Reply
Thanks, Julia. I picked this pattern up a month or two ago in anticipation of winter sewing. Thanks for the great review. I like the look of the shirt!
said... (9/22/02 7:29 PM) Reply
Julia, I love your top and I appreciate your detailed explanation on how to get the v-neckline bound. That looks great!
said... (9/21/02 4:36 PM) Reply
Great top Julia! I just made this one with the round neck and liked it a lot.
said... (9/21/02 4:34 PM) Reply
Obviously, you give great directions. I just have beginneritis.
said... (9/21/02 4:22 PM) Reply
Love your neck treatment!! I am a beginner and don't really under- stand each step, though. This is the most attractive and professional neck treatment that I have seen. Good Job.
said... (9/21/02 4:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for the clear explanation. I love your neckline treatment!
said... (9/21/02 1:53 PM) Reply
(although I wish I knew what to do about that problem -- how does one stabilize a knit hem in an area that needs to retain full stretch??). Julia, Ann Person's Stretch and Sew Guide to Sewing Knits suggest using a tear-away or dissolvable stabilizer while sewing the hem. When the hem is completed, the stabilizer is removed, and the fabric retains its original stretch. Of course, it is advisable to test this first on a scrap of your fashion fabric.
said... (9/21/02 1:32 PM) Reply
Awesome review! Thank you, it is very helpful. Your shirt turned out great. :)

SewBaby Easy Pieces Pants Pattern