Pattern Reviews> Decades of Style> 1933 Evening Gown

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:1/9/06 12:41 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
Stitchology said... (1/10/06 10:43 AM) Reply
It's a beautiful style and a shame it didn't work out. Those old patterns were cut for a different body type. Can you use this as a muslin and replace the parts that don't fit with other fabric to revise the fit?
AnneM said... (1/10/06 4:41 AM) Reply
I have to agree, from the line drawing, that it is a style more designed for "whispy" figures, or at least small-topped figures. Great review anyway, and it does sound like it would work for me! Now I just need a reason to make such a dramatic gown.
Danvillegirl said... (1/10/06 4:28 AM) Reply
Good review of your trials and tribulations. Sorry that it did not work out for you. Hopefully you can salvage the fabric for something workable.
Mel.J said... (1/10/06 3:07 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review, sorry this wasn't a winner for you. It's such a pretty design. Is it possible to turn it into a skirt instead?
Ann Smith said... (1/10/06 1:31 AM) Reply
Drsue, I think this dress would work well for a person with hips. The side panels are bias and the skirt has a little more fullness to it than the drawing indicates. I think if you keep the waist line on the high side so that the fabric drops freely it will work quite well.
drsue said... (1/9/06 7:52 PM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this even though it didn't work well for you. I have a small chest and a straight back I think the top would work for me. Do you see any problems with the skirt for someone with hips?
minieme said... (1/9/06 7:29 PM) Reply
Oh I fell in love with this pattern when I opened the link up. Too bad it's difficult on a full figure, as small busted I am not. :( Thanks for your reivew.
MaryBeth said... (1/9/06 6:00 PM) Reply
Uh-oh, I clicked on the photo first to see if I wanted to read this review and saw that Ann wasn't modeling it...a sure sign of trouble. I'm so sorry this didn't work for you, Ann!! But thanks for the saliant point of matching body to style. Somehow I think you'll go back to this one some day with great results.
KathleenS said... (1/9/06 5:39 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review, Ann. It sounds like it might work on my figure, which is promising for me - I'm sorry it's not so good for you.
Agnes said... (1/9/06 2:45 PM) Reply
Thanks for your review. I love this pattern it's on my wishlist, but may have to rethink that now....I'm sorry it didn't work for you, I can imagine the expectations when you start a dress like this and then the disappointment when it doesn't work out.
Ann Smith said... (1/9/06 2:34 PM) Reply
Babepaley, the lace jabot is vintage and on display as part of my sewing room decor. However that gives me an idea.... maybe I could drape a dramatic collar over the front of this dress. Hmmm. Redhead, I wore a black silk chiffon dress with handkerchief hem. New but appropriate. I also wore a vintage fur jacket I have had for years that has feet and tails hanging down and a tiara. It was fun.
redhead said... (1/9/06 2:18 PM) Reply
So sorry it didn't work out. What did you end up wearing that night?
Stacy Sews said... (1/9/06 1:50 PM) Reply
Sorry the pattern didn't work for you - but really apprecitate the review!
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (1/9/06 1:14 PM) Reply
Ann, thanks so much for sharing your experience. Being the persistent type, I know very well what it's like to get on a path and follow it doggedly. I thank you for the reminder that that sometimes is not the best choice (I'm referring to your seam matching goal after moving the front bust seam). I like your 'back strap' idea. Too bad it didn't work in this case. The fabric you used looks lovely...too bad it didn't work out in this case. But it was a learning experience -for you, and thanks to your posting on PR, for me! Thanks.
MB at YarnUiPhoneApp said... (1/9/06 1:02 PM) Reply
I'd love to see it on you, nevertheless. Even so I'm intrigued by the lace jabot in the background of your pic. Is it vintage? Was it for the dress?

Understanding Interfacings