Pattern Reviews> Butterick> B4347 (Easy)

Reviewed by:ChrisK

About ChrisKstar
NA UNITED KINGDOM
Member since: 2/28/04
Posted on:1/19/06 4:12 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
Melara said... (4/17/12 7:43 AM) Reply
I made this top a very long time ago and remember having all the difficulties that you had! I made it with stretch material, omitted the zipper and sewed the back neck onto the top - so no problems with getting it on or gaping at the back neck. It's a truly unique and flattering top though. I am going to make it again - with modifications. It looks great on you!
janice844 said... (4/2/09 2:19 PM) Reply
I'm now determined to alter this pattern so it looks nice! (view D)
rainycity said... (2/18/07 1:58 PM) Reply
This was a very good review. Did not read it before sewing, though, and fortunatly did "C". I am not unhappy with it. I did the petite version and added the upperback adjustment to make the neck (and shoulders) fit better. I am also doing a 5/8 hem that is longer in the front and back and goes up a bit at the sides. I find this more flattering and make this adjustment most of the time. No horizontal line. I did use a lycra/cotton blend that curled at the edges and that drove me crazy with the double front. Otherwise, I was happy with version "C."
Jan B. said... (1/20/06 10:54 AM) Reply
Wow! Beautiful on you and so is the color. I've had this pattern (because it was on sale and V7799 wasn't). I've not read the directions and didn't realize the back neck problem either. Would it be possible to seam it to the back neckline and extend the zipper through the wrap? Why does View D need a zipper and View C doesn't? Guess I could go look at the pattern myself!!
AnneM said... (1/20/06 9:47 AM) Reply
We'll read about you in the paper: "woman strangled trying to put shirt on". But once you get it on, it's cute; just stand against the wall all day. (Actually, from the back it almost looks like you have a separate scarf on; it looks fine even if not comfortable.)
sewcraazy said... (1/20/06 8:45 AM) Reply
Your top is beautiful! You need to alter the back to bring the neckline up to where it belongs. Have you ever tried this? This is a very common problem.
Danvillegirl said... (1/20/06 4:28 AM) Reply
I just purchased this pattern about a month ago and have not looked at since. I did not know it had a back zipper. Your review is most helpful and will keep handy when I get around to making this.
Geordie Girl said... (1/19/06 1:26 PM) Reply
It looks really nice on from the front but I agree the back of the collar looks strange. The material is a lovely colour. Shame it didn't quite work out.
Ann Smith said... (1/19/06 12:04 PM) Reply
Very pretty. Too bad it is uncomfortable for you. I'm thinking that back neck gap might be just the thing for me since I'm always too hot in turtlenecks.
Elemenopeo said... (1/19/06 11:39 AM) Reply
I liked this pattern so much I bought it twice. Your review has me second guessing ever making it though. It looks lovely but I'm not much for uncomfortability.
touran said... (1/19/06 11:14 AM) Reply
This is one of my favorite unmade patterns. Thanks for reviewing it so candidly.
Elona said... (1/19/06 10:57 AM) Reply
The front view of your top is very pretty, very flattering. That back neck thing is mysterious, though. I notice that the pattern's line drawing doesn't exactly show what's going on there, although I suppose if I thought about it, I'd notice that something had to be going on above the zipper, since the zipper doesn't extend into the collar itself. Thanks for calling this to our attention.
slanden99 said... (1/19/06 10:03 AM) Reply
Your top looks great. I'll be sure to avoid that view when I use my pattern. thanks
Cambric Tea said... (1/19/06 9:56 AM) Reply
Beautiful top! What an interesting back neck. I like it very much. (: Also your peacock color, very glamorous.
joyoussprite said... (1/19/06 9:40 AM) Reply
I have to warn you that I had problems with the shawl collar version. The fit seemed odd, and the collar seemed too heavy (always trying to flop over and run away). Of course, you're probably a better sewer than me (heck, even I'm a better sewer than I was a year ago when I made the top), so you might be able to solve these issues. Just a heads up!
Frogstitcher said... (1/19/06 9:04 AM) Reply
This is a nice looking top and the color looks great on you. I also have this pattern and have made view C twice. Although they are both wearable I probably wouldn't make them again. I as well have found them to be a bugger to put on and uncomfortable wearing throughout the day. Thank you for this review.
Irene Q said... (1/19/06 8:51 AM) Reply
What an odd way to design that collar! You ended up with a beautiful top, but if it's uncomfortable I'll bet you never wear it. Thanks for the warnings - good luck with the other views!
mamakooz said... (1/19/06 6:50 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review, I have this pattern in my stash! It looks very pretty on you, but a pita to put on! I look forward to your review on the other version.

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2005-101B