Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> Woodstock Tunic (Woodstock Tunic)

Reviewed by:Danvillegirl

About Danvillegirlstarstarstarstar
Member since: 7/6/03
Posted on:1/24/06 7:07 AM
Last Updated:1/24/06 7:07 AM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
Cre8tv said... (2/21/06 6:31 PM) Reply
I found this pattern (and other hot patterns) very difficult to fit. I basically had to overlay a fitting blouse pattern with darts to modify the body. I also lengthened the sleeves 2", took out a lot of the flare at the sleeve bottom, and took about 2 " out of the center! Once I got the pattern to fit, it turned out nice. I made this pattern in a burnt orange silk with a green beaded trim embellishment around the neck. It's very handsome, but what an ordeal.
Danvillegirl said... (1/29/06 8:24 AM) Reply
Thank you everyone for your feedback. Next HP will be a Slinky. Everyones feedback here and PM is encouraging.
diane s said... (1/28/06 9:58 AM) Reply
I really enjoyed your thorough review, I'm between sizes too, but the GG seemed to work out for me if I take in the shoulders about a half inch. If you like this style, you might try Silhouettes Nancy Blouse 450, it's very similar and has different front pieces for a full bust, I had good results after a few false starts.
AnneM said... (1/25/06 5:54 AM) Reply
Thanks for the info on sewing the fabric, as well as your pattern information. Interesting on sizing issue for you and the others commenting.
Ann Smith said... (1/24/06 1:04 PM) Reply
Sorry you're having such trouble. When I first ordered from Hot Patterns I asked Trudy for advice on sizing. I told her I wear a 10 in the Big 4 and always do a FBA for D cup. She said to go with the Slinky Girl for the very reasons you are finding. Even with measurements in the Glamour Girl range and the D cup, if you are petite above the bosum, you need Slinky Girl.
PhyllisC said... (1/24/06 12:23 PM) Reply
I'm also coming to the conclusion that HP patterns seem a bit challenging if you wear a petite size. I've been working out my own fitting kinks on the P&S Simple Shirtdress and have the same dilemma with the darts - I look like I could go on tour with Madonna - and my instincts are telling me that petites need to stick with upper chest measurements for most HP styles. So far I've only worked up 2 of their styles though, so don't take this as gospel truth.
jemgirlca said... (1/24/06 11:00 AM) Reply
Sorry this didn't work for you. I've had the same problems with the GG, but have had success anyway. I'm looking forward to trying a SG pattern.
beangirl said... (1/24/06 9:50 AM) Reply
Well, we've discussed the smaller size before and I think this one clinches it! That fabric looks like a bear to work with, but what a clever style choice. I would never have thougth to do this style up in a fabric like that and I love the look. Maybe with some practicing it will be workable in the future. I hope you get a chance to try the Slinky Girl sizes sometime, I think you'll enjoy them much more. Thanks for the review!
Lisette said... (1/24/06 8:44 AM) Reply
Besides the sizing issues, you picked a fabric that is just awful to work with. I made a skirt with a similar fabric and do not plan to put myself through the aggravation again. I think going smaller is the right thing to do. Good luck.
GorgeousFabrics said... (1/24/06 7:34 AM) Reply
Linda, I found that starting with Slinky and then adjusting the bust worked for me on my HPs. In the patchouli dress, I had to use a 3/8" seam on the armscye and upper arm as well. PhyllisC ran into the same dart issue you mention, so you might want to ask her about that. -Ann

Pants Sewing DVD