Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1409 (Madison Avenue Dress)

Reviewed by:Tarawebster

About Tarawebsterstar
Member since: 1/31/03
Posted on:2/6/06 2:00 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (2/11/06 7:30 PM) Reply
Your version looks better than the one on the pattern envelope!
Frogstitcher said... (2/7/06 8:04 PM) Reply
Excellent dress. It's very flattering on you.
Jane S said... (2/7/06 2:58 PM) Reply
Great fabric choice for this pattern and wonderful result. Truly a designer look with custom fit.
fuzzygalore said... (2/7/06 11:33 AM) Reply
Totally agree with your better-fabric analysis! Granted, it's easy to get better fit than you can buy, and that helps in making something look good. But for it to look extra good, you also need good-quality fabric. Now that doesn't mean you have to pay a whole lot for good fabric :-), but you're better off buying good fabric on sale at a decent shop than paying even regular price at.. say a chain that'll remain unnamed :-).
CarolynD said... (2/7/06 10:34 AM) Reply
What a fantastic dress, I am sure you will get years of use out it. It is beautiful.
AnneM said... (2/7/06 8:37 AM) Reply
Great dress, great print. And thanks for the review - I think; one more arguement for me to buy this pattern.
ryan's mom said... (2/7/06 6:47 AM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous dress! Doesn't this pattern rock!?!? Great to know about this fabric. I bought my first fabric purchase from them last month and have a few samples as well. Nice to know this particular fabric worked so well for you.
Danvillegirl said... (2/7/06 5:26 AM) Reply
I kept eyeing this fabric. It made up into a very pretty dress. It looks very nice on you.
AndreaP said... (2/6/06 10:34 PM) Reply
Great job! You look wonderful in this dress. This pattern has a beautiful fit, and the fabric is so striking!
MaryDL said... (2/6/06 9:34 PM) Reply
I have always avoided this pattern b/c of my pear shape, but you did a lovely job and have me rethinking this pattern. It looks great on you and drapes very nicely. You did a lovely job.
Sewliz said... (2/6/06 6:53 PM) Reply
How beautiful. Now I want one too!
Lori V said... (2/6/06 5:13 PM) Reply
very pretty dress. I like the fabric, too.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (2/6/06 4:48 PM) Reply
Now you must take some credit for your work, lol. Beautiful dress and it looks lovely on you.
Tarawebster said... (2/6/06 3:36 PM) Reply
Thanks for the nice comments. I never would have thought to use this fabric if the TS website had not recommended this pattern in their description of the fabric. I've learned to really trust what they say about matching fabric to pattern. I love how the fabric sewed up so much that I ordered two more yards to make a blouse to wear with pants I plan to make from another fabric I got there. The walking foot made it possible to get the center front seam keep the geometric pattern of the fabric matched up. I'm not sure I could have done that as easily without the walking foot. I've also finally got it through my head that in order to make a garmet look high end boutique, it helps enormously to use high quality fabric. My technique is getting better, but it is not stellar like some of the more advanced sewists on this site. The fabric is what made this dress work If your skills are decent, and you have a well drafted pattern, having high quality fabric is probably the single most important factor in ending up with a well made garmet The point I'm hoping to make is even if you are a beginner, don't be afraid to use very high quality fabric on a pattern that you've made a muslin from and are comfortable with. It will raise your sewing confidence and give you the inspiration to want to sew more, thus increasing your skills.
Lori Sews said... (2/6/06 3:33 PM) Reply
Tara, this is so pretty. Great job!
Tarawebster said... (2/6/06 3:33 PM) Reply

Mlle Laura said... (2/6/06 3:25 PM) Reply
Lovely dress! A great combination of fabric and style. I've been eyeing up that fabric every day for the past few months it's been up...can't afford it right now though (cry).
pterion said... (2/6/06 3:18 PM) Reply
Such a pretty dress! You did a beautiful job and I love the look of the fabric. Yes, yours IS prettier than the pattern photo!
milwaukee_kelly said... (2/6/06 3:13 PM) Reply
Great fabric. I looks like you did a fab job grading the hips.
Diane E said... (2/6/06 3:10 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful! Perfect fabric. You look lovely!
Mary Gillette said... (2/6/06 3:06 PM) Reply
Yours is prettier than the pattern photos. It looks beautiful on you!
Leslie in Austin said... (2/6/06 2:50 PM) Reply
Very pretty and great fit! I recently had a fabric tell me it wanted to be this dress, too. Hope mine turns out as well.
Mary Stiefer said... (2/6/06 2:42 PM) Reply
Beautiful
bunz said... (2/6/06 2:38 PM) Reply
Great dress! Looks like the fit is perfect.
jemgirlca said... (2/6/06 2:35 PM) Reply
It looks fantastic! I love that fabric. :)
Mufffet said... (2/6/06 2:32 PM) Reply
Beautiful. Fit is great, fabric is great and it looks like your technique was great. This looks like expensive boutique!
fiberfanatic said... (2/6/06 2:30 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress! The fabric really makes the simple style special. I may have to break my fabric buying fast...it sounds so nice.
LBJ said... (2/6/06 2:08 PM) Reply