Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Vogue 7975 or Kwik Sew 3258">The Contemporary Couture Jacket Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> 1013 (Plain & Simple Shirtdress)

Reviewed by:PhyllisC

Last Updated:3/13/06 11:31 AM
Pattern Size:Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
moushka said... (4/30/06 7:37 PM) Reply
You look so stylish! I'm with Georgene on the usefulness of this pattern. The fit is great after all your hard work, and the print is so fashionable. The dress will look different with every fabric. Stunning!
SarahWeb said... (3/14/06 10:44 PM) Reply
Looks like you did a fantastic job of fitting. I love the style and the fabric. It looks great on you!
Lori Sews said... (3/14/06 9:42 AM) Reply
Looks great on you!! Love it!!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/13/06 7:48 PM) Reply
duplicate deleted
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/13/06 7:47 PM) Reply
Love it!!! Love the shoes, love the belt, love the hair. Love your pulled together look.
PVA said... (3/13/06 7:17 PM) Reply
I too missed this review the 1st time up. I'm so glad I didn't miss it this time! I consider the 50s, 60s & 70s MY era when it comes to patterns. (MINE I say, all MINE!) Thank you so much for bringing it up again with your photo, this is awesome on you. I must have it! I must! I have always LOVED shirtwaist dresses! June Cleaver I'm not, but I just don't care, I gotta have it! Thank you so much for this review! (I can't believe it's corduroy!) (I love paisley!) (muttering off into the wilderness. . . . )
Cambric Tea said... (3/13/06 2:03 PM) Reply
I'm so glad that you updated with a picture, you look adorable. My husband was hanging around and saw the original review. "Cute dress" he said. Now if you only knew what high praise that is coming from him. (; In his language that translates as, "bangin'awesomeamazingwicked cute dress!
Gigi Louis said... (3/13/06 1:03 PM) Reply
How did I miss this review?! You look positively groovy in this dress - what a great fit!
Sherril Miller said... (3/13/06 12:25 PM) Reply
I swear I had that dress in 1975 and it looks just as fresh today. I only wish I still had the same figure from 1975. (sigh)
jemgirlca said... (3/13/06 12:13 PM) Reply
I don't know how I missed your review the first time, but I did see your dress on hotpatterns website. It looks fantastic! Your fabric choice was great. I can't believe it's a cordoroy. Great review!!
milwaukee_kelly said... (3/13/06 11:47 AM) Reply
Love it!
BeckyC said... (2/20/06 9:39 AM) Reply
Cute retro dress.
els said... (2/18/06 8:06 PM) Reply
An everlasting dress design, which you can make up in so many fabrics that they all seem to be different from eachother.Like you have a great basic design to play with.
Georgene said... (2/18/06 5:07 PM) Reply
If I were you I would be cutting this in about 6 different fabrics right this minute. Great beginning, and a real workhorse of a pattern for you now. You can do so many different looks with this base - add pockets, do contrast fabrics, do a denim jacket version. Add lace and heirloom techniques. Sleeveless, shortsleeve, band collar, no collar, cardigan v-neck front. You go girl!
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (2/18/06 1:02 PM) Reply
Love it! Reminds me of something the 60's TV character, "Carol Brady" would wear. And I mean that as a big compliment. As a kid in the 60s, I guess I 'imprinted' positively on Mrs. Brady because she looked like the cool mom everyone wanted to have.
milwaukee_kelly said... (2/18/06 11:25 AM) Reply
What a fabulous dress! I am so inspired by you!
SansSouci572 said... (2/18/06 11:24 AM) Reply
Wow!!! I LOVE it! If I saw this for sale some place, I would buy it!
Englebert said... (2/18/06 11:22 AM) Reply
Phyllis, love your dress!! After reading your review, I *had* to order the pattern... :)
CarolynD said... (2/18/06 11:21 AM) Reply
Terrific stylish dress.
Tiner W said... (2/18/06 9:36 AM) Reply
What a groovin' dress! I love it.
AnneM said... (2/18/06 9:36 AM) Reply
Definitely a good combination of fabric and style. Great belt, also.
Lori Sews said... (2/18/06 9:32 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, great review.
MarilynB said... (2/18/06 7:45 AM) Reply
Great dress, Phyllis. Thanks for reviewing this pattern.
Deb Fox said... (2/18/06 6:53 AM) Reply
Just gorgeous! I know these patterns are a lot of work, but aren't the results just fabulous? I wil definitely have to add this to my collection. I can also see this being turned into a really cute blouse for spring!
Lori V said... (2/18/06 0:47 AM) Reply
Very cool.
beangirl said... (2/18/06 0:34 AM) Reply
excellent review, Phyllis! And I love love love that fabric. Great project.
MaryBeth said... (2/17/06 10:56 PM) Reply
It's so you! Great fun dress, Phyllis. Nicely written, succinct review.
Leora said... (2/17/06 10:48 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress and belt combo. Three muslins equals a lot of patience in my book. Beautiful work!
elizajo said... (2/17/06 9:41 PM) Reply
You did a great job of matching fabric to the 70's style. Cute new shoes or boots are called for as a reward for all of your work with muslins!
Leslie in Austin said... (2/17/06 9:36 PM) Reply
Love everything about it: the style, the fabric you used, and after multiple muslins I'm sure I'd love the fit, too. I adore the way the petals on the big flower line up across the CF to make a big S at the waistline. Completely intentional, I'm sure!! Well done, Phyllis.
Nickle said... (2/17/06 9:30 PM) Reply
Boy this brings back memories. Your dress is gorgeous, love the fabric. looking forward to your pic with it on.
Cambric Tea said... (2/17/06 9:28 PM) Reply
I love shirtwaists too! Thank you for reviewing this, it's one of the styles I was interested in. I am so looking forward to a pic of you in it. I think your dress is really great.
CarolynGM said... (2/17/06 9:16 PM) Reply
Great dress -- I love the retro look to it and your fabric too. I might have to order this one as I do love shirtdresses.
GorgeousFabrics said... (2/17/06 9:13 PM) Reply
Phyllis, that turned out just beautifully! -Ann
zeoplum said... (2/17/06 9:08 PM) Reply
Very fun and funky look. I know it's an updated 70's look but I think the fabric you've chosen gives it even more of a young & fresh look without being too youthful.
drsue said... (2/17/06 8:56 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. Looks like all the muslins paid off.

Merchant & Mills Top 64