Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Soho Coat (Soho Coat)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:2/22/06 5:30 PM
Last Updated:9/28/11 0:35 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Ann Smith said... (9/29/11 9:42 AM) Reply
mssewcrazy: harvesting is a great idea. You will need two things since there is a closure holding inside as well. You could also use ties or leather straps for a different look.
mssewcrazy said... (9/29/11 7:02 AM) Reply
Fabulous looking versions of the coat! Do you think you might be able to harvest a metal buckle closure from a belt and recycle it or even hardware from a thrift store coat if all else fails. This coat pattern is so versatile it could change endlessly with the fabric and hardware.
Barbara V said... (9/28/11 2:35 PM) Reply
Wow, three versions of this coat for you - each so different. I love this one too and it looks truly rain repellent and with the bonus lining. Super job as always.
DorothyK said... (5/9/10 12:55 PM) Reply
This is a great robe- and of course, coat. Everything you make is wonderful.
sfshaza said... (5/9/10 0:43 AM) Reply
What a great, snuggly robe!!
Diane E said... (5/8/10 10:51 AM) Reply
Somehow I missed this the first time around -- wonderful swaggery coat, indeed (wonderful sentence, too!). Love the first version and really love the robe. So cozy and classy.
ryansmumAria said... (5/8/10 8:30 AM) Reply
WOW! Just beautiful. How many shoes do you own? Every outfit you make has the perfect shoe to go with it! Don't think I haven't noticed!
Elke said... (5/8/10 7:14 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat...looks lovely on you!
Kayseri said... (5/8/10 1:46 AM) Reply
Very snuggly looking - it's great to see a robe that's not the normal style.
Dale C said... (5/7/10 9:22 PM) Reply
Ann, I love all those new things you posted, but especially this coat! It's beautiful.
Barbara V said... (5/7/10 9:15 PM) Reply
Great fabric and colors and very smart looking on you. Whichever way you wear it, coat or robe, it's sure to keep you warm. I want a cozy robe too.
sewbehind said... (5/7/10 8:25 PM) Reply
Beautiful! THis looks so chic on you, Ann. I love your hair, by the way.
Susan J. said... (3/9/08 12:19 PM) Reply
I'm wondering about using this pattern for a bathrobe/house coat.
MrsCrumpet said... (9/30/06 1:27 PM) Reply
This is a beautiful coat with nice lines. I think if you were to look on ebay for antique buckles you would find something nice. I have some gorgeous victorian cut steel buckles and shell buckles that would look great with a coat like this!
Mandolin82 said... (5/21/06 12:05 PM) Reply
I'm planning on making this coat. I found that the Sewing Workshop website stocks these buckles: http://www.sewingworkshop.com/index.php/action/item/id/75/prevaction/category/previd/3/prevstart/0/
Ann Smith said... (3/11/06 12:46 PM) Reply
MarilynB, I didn't like the doggie buckles. They are too heavy plus have a bit of a bend so they don't work well enough. I'm resigned to the plastic ones.
MarilynB said... (3/10/06 12:13 PM) Reply
Love your coat, Ann. If you like your doggie buckles when you receive them, please publish the website.
Ann Smith said... (3/10/06 11:25 AM) Reply
Thank you all. I love this coat. Leslie, I hope to make this into a raincoat as well.
Leslie Bonner said... (3/10/06 0:01 AM) Reply
As usual a beautiful result by Ann. I enjoyed looking through all her projects again. This coat is definitely on my list but I am looking to make it up as a raincoat.
AnneM said... (2/24/06 8:24 AM) Reply
Very nice. That fabric is perfect for the coat, with a nice sheen. You look lovely, BTW.
CarolynGM said... (2/23/06 7:33 PM) Reply
Very cool coat.
PhyllisC said... (2/23/06 5:58 PM) Reply
Wow - great coat! I've been lookiog for a raincoat desgn - this just might do it.
SewLimited said... (2/23/06 4:23 PM) Reply
Beautiful result for the infamous boiled wool!
Harriet Rogers said... (2/23/06 9:47 AM) Reply
Wow: you've been a busy sewing lady. This, as usual, looks fantastic on you. Love the color, style and buckles.
milwaukee_kelly said... (2/23/06 9:22 AM) Reply
Lovely. I'm glad you found the buckles you want.
Londa Rohlfing said... (2/23/06 9:08 AM) Reply
Wow! And, clicking through your photo album - you obviously know what your best colors are... no one would ever guess you make your own clothes I bet!au
ryan's mom said... (2/23/06 8:52 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat! It looks so classy on you.
Vonnevo said... (2/23/06 8:40 AM) Reply
Beautiful !
lilhoney57 said... (2/23/06 6:37 AM) Reply
Its gorgeous!
CarolynD said... (2/23/06 0:11 AM) Reply
This is a lovely coat. It has a feeling of late teens early twenties styling to my eye, that is one of my favorite times of fashion. Just beautiful!
QuickFade said... (2/22/06 11:26 PM) Reply
I love it!!!
Sewphie said... (2/22/06 9:54 PM) Reply
Wonderful coat! Have been looking at this pattern -- it'll definitely be on my list now!
Lori V said... (2/22/06 9:48 PM) Reply
Beautiful
mClones said... (2/22/06 8:50 PM) Reply
The coat looks so elegant on you and fun-to-wear at the same time. Beautiful, as usual.
Lori Sews said... (2/22/06 8:16 PM) Reply
Just gorgeous!
Susan R said... (2/22/06 8:00 PM) Reply
A beautiful coat. I love the buckle closure!
Pam Z said... (2/22/06 7:17 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat on you! I am so tempted to try this even though I rarely need to wear a coat either.
touran said... (2/22/06 7:12 PM) Reply
How beautiful. I was so unsure about this coat on my figure type, but yours doesn't look at all baggy. It's very good looking.
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (2/22/06 7:11 PM) Reply
Great coat. I have it on my list to use to sew a raincoat. Glad to see your review.
cmarie12 said... (2/22/06 6:50 PM) Reply
I love, love, love the coat! What a great way to use the boiled wool.
Ann Smith said... (2/22/06 6:35 PM) Reply
Esmerelda, I had spotted the ones on the SW website but they look exactly like the plastic ones I have. No mention of what they are made of. About lining, I don't see any reason you couldn't line this if you duplicate the pattern pieces. The lining will show at the turnback and hood interior.
Esmerelda Twinpalms said... (2/22/06 6:28 PM) Reply
Esmerelda Twinpalms said... (2/22/06 6:23 PM) Reply
Wow! I've been looking for a coat pattern. This could be it, although I think I'll wait till next winter, now. Do you think it could be lined? Even though I'm in California, I'd like a new lined coat. I just found the slide buckles at the sewing workshop web page http://www.sewingworkshop.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=94 Can't tell whether they're plastic or not from the photo.
bunz said... (2/22/06 5:53 PM) Reply
Stunning!
Leslie in Austin said... (2/22/06 5:49 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!
carolynw said... (2/22/06 5:44 PM) Reply
What a super looking coat - terrific job you did - looks great. I may make this as it is coming on to Spring here in Canada and an unlined coat would be OK. I hate tight fitting coats so this would be ideal.
blue mooney said... (2/22/06 5:39 PM) Reply
Great coat, Ann! I admired this pattern when I saw it modeled at etaDallas. I think it's a classic. You made wonderful use of the boiled wool!

Simplicity 7353:1976