Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> DD Wrapture Jacket

Member since: 6/23/04
Posted on:2/22/06 6:36 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 46 people

sewtea said... (7/13/08 12:16 PM) Reply
Thank you for the detailed review. I just purchased this pattern and wish I had seen reviews first. Now I "know" to make the muslin and what pitfalls to look for.
davin said... (1/1/08 4:51 PM) Reply
Thanks for the warnings re: this pattern co. I've read others, and now I'm regretting the patterns I've already ordered from them. Have you notified them of your experience? I'm just not at the skill level to make the adjustments you did. But at least I'm trying to learn.
EleanorMcCarthy said... (1/22/07 3:14 PM) Reply
Good Lord! I have been reading HP pattern reviews and I Can't Believe how many serious Fixes are required. This is rediculous! Those Hot Patterns people need to get on PR and read what is going on, and the FIX the patterns so that people don't keep having these problems. I am really disappointed. I like a lot of their design ideas, but I don't have time to fix all of their mistakes (if I were to use one of their patterns). I am definately not buying any of them. I would rather spend my time making design changes to one of my TNTs. To all of you who have tried the HP patterns, I commend you all for your excellent workmanship and dilligence. Keep up the good work.
EleanorMcCarthy said... (1/22/07 3:13 PM) Reply
Good Lord! I have been reading HP pattern reviews and I Can't Believe how many serious Fixes are required. This is rediculous! Those Hot Patterns people need to get on PR and read what is going on, and then FIX the patterns so that people don't keep having these problems. I am really disappointed. I like a lot of their design ideas, but I don't have time to fix all of their mistakes (if I were to use one of their patterns). I am definately not buying any of them. I would rather spend my time making design changes to one of my TNTs. To all of you who have tried the HP patterns, I commend you all for your excellent workmanship and dilligence. Keep up the good work.
PsychedOnSewing said... (8/24/06 9:03 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous jacket! Thank you for the detailed review, tips and honesty.
pamici said... (3/10/06 3:54 PM) Reply
Amazing review ... thank you for all the alteration details!
Gigi Louis said... (2/28/06 5:59 PM) Reply
Your jacket is really beautiful! I too love all of the details. Someday Jeanette (jemgirl) and I will finally get around to making our denim versions....
PatM said... (2/27/06 9:43 PM) Reply
Lovley jacket, great review, terrific photos!! What more can I say? what a lot of work! Inspiration for those of us who want to make a jacket.
Amitaibu said... (2/27/06 11:46 AM) Reply
Looks wonderfull - and a great review!!!
CarrieA said... (2/24/06 10:14 PM) Reply
Wow, wow, wow! That looks great on you. Cant believe I missed your review for two whole days as I have an eagle eye out for HP reviews. I also fell in love with this pattern but it still sits in its envelope waiting for my courage to emerge. Not any longer! Your review will help me so much and for that I am grateful. Thanks!!!
AnneM said... (2/24/06 8:11 AM) Reply
Beutiful. And great information in your review; thank you very much for all that. I think it will be helpful not only for this pattern, but others as well.
Lilibet said... (2/24/06 5:07 AM) Reply
Terrific result. Thanks for an excellent review.
Sew4Fun said... (2/23/06 5:37 PM) Reply
FuzzyGalore, I did sew the sleeve from the envelope which is how I discovered the difference in the underarm seam length. As the sleeve length didn't match, the side seams didn't match and it was unsewable. :( I thought for a while it was deliberate :) but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work. Looking at the different sizes on the pattern sheet seemed to confirm there is something wrong with the file and therefore the sleeve pattern. If the sleeve seams are meant to be a different length then there is something wrong with the front instead. Either way the two don't fit together as they are. Thanks for the thoughts!
Sew4Fun said... (2/23/06 5:24 PM) Reply
Thank you to everyone for the lovely comments!
fuzzygalore said... (2/23/06 1:23 PM) Reply
Well, OK, if I were you I'd adore my finished jacket too :-). But I'd also be very very mad about having to redraft the pattern entirely... For this you paid how much? Can't help thinking you'd have done as well starting from scratch.

Anyway, I do have a suggestion about the sleeve - are you sure that it was inaccurate? Was it the back part that was longer? I've definitely had this before, and it's a feature :-), so the sleeve doesn't lie flat, since your arms are rarely held perfeclty straight..

milwaukee_kelly said... (2/23/06 9:42 AM) Reply
What detailed, beautiful jacket, a very detailed and helpful review. I appreciate your description of HP; diamond in the rough.
ryan's mom said... (2/23/06 9:07 AM) Reply
Absolutely stunning with fabulous detail work. Thanks for the extremely informative review with lots of pics to go with the info.
Mollykat said... (2/23/06 8:12 AM) Reply
Lovely details on your jacket. Thank you for the wonderful review and the how tos on all your ideas. Well done!
Laideebugz said... (2/23/06 7:37 AM) Reply
What a BEAUTIFUL jacket! Nice work! Can you make me one too? LOL!
Mbarkle said... (2/23/06 7:18 AM) Reply
Belinda, your hard work paid off! The jacket is gorgeous, fits you great. I love the color on you too.
LauraM62 said... (2/23/06 6:49 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket Belinda, looks wonderful on you! You are inspiration to many of us.
CarolynGM said... (2/23/06 6:40 AM) Reply
What a tale of persistence, patience, and creativity. HP should hire you to refine their patterns before release.
Danvillegirl said... (2/23/06 5:36 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful jacket. What a great job you did finding all the pattern errors and correcting. Love all the details you used in the making of your jacket.
FloraNature said... (2/23/06 5:35 AM) Reply
Love the jacket! It looks good with the tie at the back. Many thanks for such a detailed review, especially for taking such clear photos of the alterations you made to the ill-fitting shoulder area.
Nickle said... (2/23/06 5:29 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful jacket and sewing. Very good review also. It looks gorgeous on you.
Sew4Fun said... (2/23/06 3:59 AM) Reply
Lhan, yes the green is the crosshatched fabric. It is 98% cotton/ 2% lycra. It is about the weight of a 10oz denim, but is soft, with lots of drape, as it doesn't have the tight diagonal weave like a denim. I'm live in Melbourne and like you buy lots of buttons at the Stitches & Craft show. :)
Sew4Fun said... (2/23/06 3:48 AM) Reply
HawkeMorningStar, bound buttonholes are all about precision. Precise marking, cutting & pressing. The key to the Austn Stitches instructions is the pressing. I sewed a standard buttonhole on the facing, after the facings were attached but before the lining. The facing is attached around the buttonhole by stitching in the ditch from the right side. If you look very closely you can see the stitching on the back. This is all explained in the instructions. HTH.
JenniferBee said... (2/23/06 1:40 AM) Reply
Wow!! I think I would have given up on this one. Off to check my old Stitches for the Bound Buttonhole article. Beautiful result, hope you will be wearing it at our Aussie PR Weekend.
Lhan said... (2/23/06 1:28 AM) Reply
This is an incredibly helpful review. The detail and the excellent photographs make it a mine of information, and not only about this pattern. I love the contrast fabric and the original fabic(s) you chose and what you have done with them - a bold choice, which can lead to uncertainty until the whole thing comes together at the end! Is the green the "cross-hatched canvas" you mention? Is this a cotton or linen canvas, or is it synthetic? Or some combination? Is it stiff or soft in texture? I think the front of the pattern looks gorgeous (? never sure how to spell that word), although I personally dislike bows at the backs of things (reaction against being made girly in childhood I think) it is well balanced. I know what you mean about buttons - I can't find any decent ones either - are you in Sydney? Just bought far too many buttons at the Stitches & Craft show because at least they had some interesting ones! Keep up the good work, in sewing and reviewing!
Mlle Laura said... (2/23/06 1:23 AM) Reply
I am in awe! The finish is absolutely beautiful an with so many excellent tips and close-up views this is a real gem of a review. Congratulations! I hope you get a lot of wear out it because it certainly looks fantastic on you!
BjP said... (2/23/06 0:10 AM) Reply
You did a wonderful job with this pattern. Lovely details! I am still convinced these patterns aren't for me, tho...I'm just not willing to do that much work!
Ann Smith said... (2/22/06 11:52 PM) Reply
Your jacket is fabulous mostly due to your incredible handling of those details....binding, top stitching, piping, buttonholes that are so tricky to get so perfect. Congratulations.
Georgene said... (2/22/06 11:30 PM) Reply
Great review of your sewing odyssey. I admire your persistence in plugging away at this. Your results are great. For this you need to bill your day rate, so $1000 seems on the low side.
Ingiepops said... (2/22/06 10:53 PM) Reply
Fantastic review, thanks for all the photos and step-by-step instructions (you should get a job with Stitches magazine!!!). I'm glad I never ordered this pattern as I'd never have the skills to do all those alterations! I love all the details like the bound buttonholes; wow! At least now you've ironed out the problems you can churn out lots of designer jackets!
Lou05 said... (2/22/06 10:31 PM) Reply
Absolutely terrific jacket, Belinda. I learn so much just reading your review (even with some issues I'm having with the lack of reach in my PMB sloper). Your jacket is beautiful on you and the sewing level is top notch. You do indeed have a designer jacket! My heartfelt thanks for sharing the details with us. You are a born teacher.
CatherineN said... (2/22/06 10:25 PM) Reply
An outstanding jacket due to your skills. This line of patterns has far too many problems for me to ever order one.
CarolynD said... (2/22/06 10:24 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket--I love the contrasting trim. Very innovative.
Debra H said... (2/22/06 9:42 PM) Reply
Wow...you sure gave out some great tips. I cancelled my order of Hot Patterns after they didn't come after 3 months...and now I am glad I did. Sounds like there are major issues with most of them.
Stacy Sews said... (2/22/06 9:40 PM) Reply
Fantastic jacket & such great details! I'm glad you were able to get this pattern to work for you. Great, detailed review!
MaryBeth said... (2/22/06 9:39 PM) Reply
Totally delightful. What a beautiful creation you have!
Chris Kelly said... (2/22/06 9:33 PM) Reply
All I can say is Georgous! I just love your choice of fabrics and the color is great on you! Thanks for the review.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (2/22/06 9:25 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning jacket and beautifully finished. Love your contrast piping, bound buttonholes. I am struggling wiht the latter, any good tips/resources? Love the way you finished them in the back, how did you serge finish facing openings? Everything about your jacket is so well done!!
CSY said... (2/22/06 9:20 PM) Reply
Very informative review. What a sewing workout! Your work is beautiful. You obviously have the skills to handle problems with the pattern. It is terrible to think a product (pattern) this pricey should have so many problems.
RobynB said... (2/22/06 9:02 PM) Reply
Wow, 10 out of 10 for persistence! But totally worth it. It looks fantastic. Thanks for the great review.
Cre8tv said... (2/22/06 8:08 PM) Reply
You have made a stunning jacket and written a fabulous review. Why are these patterns so difficult but seemingly popular?
Debbie Cook said... (2/22/06 7:43 PM) Reply
Great job Belinda!! All of your work and going slowly and carefully has certainly paid off at least triple. Wonderfully detailed review, great fabric choices, and perfect results because if you hadn't mentioned the top buttonhole, no one would've noticed it. ;-)
Lori V said... (2/22/06 7:43 PM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful. Your finished garment is most impressive. Thanks for the detailed review and pictures.
sailonsilvergirl said... (2/22/06 7:37 PM) Reply
Thank you thank you thank you. This was my #1 fav HP pattern. Just got it earlier this week. Now I'm very intimidated. But, with a thorough review like this as well as other reviews, you've truly helped other people! Your jacket is beautiful.
LiZ said... (2/22/06 7:29 PM) Reply
Absolutely Stunning Jacket. Thanks for the great review, I will be fefering to this when I make mine. Also I will be trying out those bound button holes.
Shelia in Alaska said... (2/22/06 7:25 PM) Reply
The jacket looks fabulous on you! I am not sure I would have had the skill to change the pattern as much as you have. I think you did a wonderful job on all your alterations and I really appreciate the thorough review. It helps me learn how other people fix fit issues.
Sew4Fun said... (2/22/06 7:24 PM) Reply
Lisette, I don't know but the easiest way to check is to compare the two sleeve seams to see if they are the same length. Dr. Sue, thanks! Your comment made my day!
drsue said... (2/22/06 7:12 PM) Reply
Great jacket! I share your issues with this pattern line. I'm starting to think of the raw patterns as a "first draft" more than a finished product. I do think you've undervalued your great jacket. At least $1000!
Lisette said... (2/22/06 7:09 PM) Reply
I love your jacket! All the work payed off? Do you know if HP has corrected the problems you found? I got my copy in Jan and though I will make a muslin I would like to know if I should expect similar problems.
SueV said... (2/22/06 7:07 PM) Reply
Excellent review; beautiful jacket!
Pam Z said... (2/22/06 7:06 PM) Reply
I love your jacket too! The details certainly make it special.
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (2/22/06 7:06 PM) Reply
What a superb jacket. Excellent review and outstanding save of the pattern. Congratulations.
jemgirlca said... (2/22/06 7:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review. Your jacket turned out fantastic! I love the bound buttonholes and cool buttons. Thanks for all of the details. That will help when I get around to working on mine.
beangirl said... (2/22/06 7:04 PM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket, the construction looks extremely polished. Excellent review.
Lorna C. Newman said... (2/22/06 6:56 PM) Reply
This is one very detailed review .. thank you so much for it! I love this jacket pattern, but I am not sure my skills are up to it yet. I am a GG for sure, though, I wonder if the fit is better in that range?
Esmerelda Twinpalms said... (2/22/06 6:45 PM) Reply
Lucky you had the skill to fix this pattern. The outcome is stunning. Wow.
Kristen said... (2/22/06 6:45 PM) Reply
Pretty!!! I love your fabric choice. This one is in my possession and I will eventually get to it..Thanks for your detailed changes!

by: Annette1