Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1004 (Misses' Fitting Shell (sloper))

Reviewed by:Kateo

About Kateostar
MA USA
Member since: 10/12/03
Posted on:2/26/06 10:29 AM
Last Updated:2/26/06 11:28 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 29 people

Virginya said... (9/19/07 0:21 AM) Reply
I wonder if it is sensible to make an "after" double to try on as time changes our bodies. I know I have changed in unexpected ways.
pointpatou replied...(7/8/15 3:06 PM)
If you sew with slopers, you have to update them if your shape changes.
Christina Sonja said... (7/8/06 3:21 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing your success story. I just bought this today and I'm both dreading the process and looking forward to the outcome.
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (2/27/06 11:51 PM) Reply
I just bought one of these for 1.99 and some 1inch check gingham to give it a whirl, thanks for the detailed review!
fuzzygalore said... (2/27/06 11:42 AM) Reply
Congratulations! Seeing the fit, and feeling it, is actually most of the battle I think :-).

Now that you've done this, you might consider trying the same process for different brands. I did the same thing in a class, and needed 14 adjustments to get my Vogue sloper to fit. As a lark, I also made a Burda sloper. I needed one adjustment. Guess which brand immediately enriched the Goodwill bins :-)? I just kept the Enormous Miyakes and such no-fit items. Have never looked back or regretted it.

AnneM said... (2/27/06 9:19 AM) Reply
Good for you to do all this! I keep meaning to... Congratulations.
slanden99 said... (2/26/06 9:58 PM) Reply
Congradulations on your fitting shell! It sure is a learning experience. Looks like you are short like me--mostly just in the arms and legs.
frame said... (2/26/06 4:43 PM) Reply
What a great learning process. I also use my patio sliding door to trace patterns. It's like a huge light table. Terrific review. Congratulations on your "fit"!
Rhoda K said... (2/26/06 12:38 PM) Reply
I've often wondered about this pattern but have never tried it. I may just give it a go and see what happens, can't hurt. Great review.
CarolynGM said... (2/26/06 12:28 PM) Reply
I did this once, and like you, learned a lot from it. I really enjoyed reading your description of your process.
Peggy L said... (2/26/06 12:15 PM) Reply
Great review -sounds like you learned a lot.
Elona said... (2/26/06 11:36 AM) Reply
Terrific review of the process! And you are right: Having done this will help you a lot with big 4 patterns. When you're contemplating a new garment, and wondering about the ease and style, you'll be able to drop your sloper over the pieces to compare with "yourself." In addition to showing me what alterations I would usually need, the fitting shell has saved me many times from making something totally unsuitable or unflattering, in that it was clear that the design would work only for a different body type--even with a bazillion alterations.

Victoria Jones Collection Pattern 205