Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8134 (Dressing Gown)

Viewed 1938 times

Last Updated:3/12/06 11:04 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people    Very Helpful by 23 people
See other patterns in this category: Loungewear    Lingerie
Vintage Joan said... (6/4/09 11:18 AM) Reply
Wow, this is spectacular. And thanks for the great little French drapery seam lesson.
Athene said... (12/21/06 3:57 PM) Reply
sorry double post.
Athene said... (12/21/06 3:46 PM) Reply
sorry double post
Athene said... (12/21/06 3:36 PM) Reply
The robe looks beautiful on you. Your size appears to be very similar to mine so I like looking at the beautiful items you have made as I am a newer sewer and find your advice very helpful. Thank you.
priscilla said... (9/24/06 6:20 PM) Reply
Bought this pattern after reading your review. Your robe turned out beautifully.
Tailypo said... (3/13/06 11:41 PM) Reply
So pretty! And I love the semaphore comment. Another winner, CT.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (3/13/06 11:21 PM) Reply
WOW ! So very elegant. Love the fabric and style of sleeves. Beautiful as usual. Thanks for new way to do French seams too.
Fenna said... (3/13/06 6:12 PM) Reply
Gorgeous. The photo is really lovely too, shows off the garment very well.
Rubby said... (3/13/06 4:12 PM) Reply
Very cool. I love your work!
Hilary said... (3/13/06 4:07 PM) Reply
You must feel so elegant and pampered in this, it is *gorgeous* on you! The fabric is perfect for this, thanks for the details!
twistedangel said... (3/13/06 1:37 PM) Reply
Oh, how pretty! It looks great on you!!
Pam in Amsterdam said... (3/13/06 11:12 AM) Reply
A kind of geisha gown, I like it! Very japanese, convenient for a tea party.
GoSewGirl said... (3/13/06 11:08 AM) Reply
Aha - now I get it! Thanks for all the info and now I'll look for this book too.
Cambric Tea said... (3/13/06 11:03 AM) Reply
Thank you so much everyone! I very much appreciate your comments! Go Sew Girl: Yes it was the lycra in the silk that gave it "tooth" making the large pattern pieces a breeze to cut out, but would not take a press. Steam or heat would just make it burble so I did my best with no steam and a low iron and edgestitching where needed. Drapery seam: The ditch that you are stitching is the well of the first seam. You are overlapping one side over the 1/4 seam allowance and you will see the well that you will sew along. The main thing that makes it different from a regular french seam is that the cut edge doesn't face in the direction of your final seam, it faces inwards, so you don't have the random silk fuzzies on the outside of your garment. It eliminates that risk because you have folded over them. I do recommend the book, it is cheap used, and it is a good reference to have. It shows more than one way to do the same thing, like the fool proof organza patch method of welt pockets, as well as the traditional. Basic layout, basic line drawings. It's not a coffee table tome, but I paid about a buck and a half for mine. Not bad at all! hth!
Katharine in BXL said... (3/13/06 10:57 AM) Reply
Sumptuous, glorious color. I'm impressed you know what kind of sleeves they are (I thought, "kimono.")
PVA said... (3/13/06 10:44 AM) Reply
Lovely, as always! It's a wonderful pattern & you've made the most of it! Thanks for the tip about the "French Drapery Seam".
GoSewGirl said... (3/13/06 10:14 AM) Reply
Just beautiful! I really like this! You do such nice work! And I have 2 questions...1. why was the silk difficult to press? because of the stretch? and 2. Which "ditch" are you stitching in? I'm not following how this is different from a regular french seam. Please forgive me here because I often can't follow directions! In any case, would you recommend this book? I have the Claire Schaeffer's Couture Sewing - but I could stand a few "short cuts"!
AnneM said... (3/13/06 9:33 AM) Reply
Very nice robe! And yes, your little series of pictures makes a lot of sense.
cmarie12 said... (3/13/06 9:03 AM) Reply
Wow! What a cute robe and a great use of the silk bundle fabric. Thanks for sharing the seam technique and for providing pictures. And as always your husband has provided a great photograph!
Stacy Sews said... (3/13/06 8:29 AM) Reply
So pretty! I love the fabric choice for this pattern too!
BeckyC said... (3/13/06 8:19 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous on you! And looks like so much fun to wear. Thanks for the pictures of the french drapery seam.
PhyllisC said... (3/13/06 8:11 AM) Reply
Love the Japonaise look - very early 1920's! Good choice for this contest.
kwpanthermom said... (3/13/06 8:00 AM) Reply
This is SO pretty! And thank you so much for the lesson on the French drapery seam, it looks like an easy and elegant lingerie seam finish.
Ceri590 said... (3/13/06 7:33 AM) Reply
I love how you model your outfits (-: Yet another success!
Vonnevo said... (3/13/06 4:39 AM) Reply
Gorgeous (as usual) Cambric Tea :))
starchildmom said... (3/13/06 1:12 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! I have to get this pattern!
Diane E said... (3/13/06 1:06 AM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous!
Mary Stiefer said... (3/13/06 0:54 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dressing gown. Very elegant. Thanks for the info on French Seams. We always appreciate this kind of assistance.
Leslie in Austin said... (3/13/06 0:19 AM) Reply
Fabulous. Thanks for the description of the french drapery seam, too!
Mariko said... (3/13/06 0:17 AM) Reply
Looks great, Cambric Tea! The style looks very much like Japanese kimono. You may know it already, but has truly authentic asian(I know their Japanese ones are so) fabrics for this pattern. Their $9/yds range fabrics may be suitable for this style drape-wise while $14/yds range could be too substantial, just FYI.
Vivienne said... (3/13/06 0:05 AM) Reply
Hubba hubba. This certainly puts my ole fleece bathrobe to shame.
touran said... (3/12/06 11:56 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous.
pmorris1274 said... (3/12/06 11:43 PM) Reply
What a beautiful ensemble you made. I love your choice of print and fabric. It looks very comfortable, and I love the Asian flair. Great Job!!!
MaryBeth said... (3/12/06 11:09 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Such a good way to smoooooth on in to Spring/summer sewing.
Celeste said... (3/12/06 11:08 PM) Reply
I love your reviews. The pictures are awesome, the clothes exquisite and your text is fun to read! Bravo!!
luvzdogz said... (3/12/06 11:07 PM) Reply
This is SO cute! I want it!

Self Drafted Pattern 320845-1000