Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5302 (City Dress (modified))

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

About Lisa Lareestarstarstarstar
Posted on:10/5/02 5:52 PM
Last Updated:5/6/05 10:20 AM

Other Projects by Lisa Laree using this Pattern

Runrover said... (5/6/05 12:43 PM) Reply
Lisa: I love the look of your tops and the way you've adapted the City Dress. You really have achieved "fantastic" fit with this pattern. Like ndesimon, GGH is another sewing book I'll just have to add to my collection. Thanks for such a detailed and informative review.
ndesimon said... (5/6/05 12:32 PM) Reply
a zillion thanks for the fitting notes: armhole gaposis is one of bains of my existence: I think I need a copy of the GGH book! I just don't have enough sewing and fitting books, you see...
kathi s said... (4/29/05 11:12 PM) Reply
Very creative use of your pattern. Love all your tops- your endless combination sounds very stylish !
Lisa Laree said... (4/29/05 11:54 AM) Reply
Yes, Mary, I laid the lining piece on the table, rs up, put the corresponding voile piece right on top of it, also RS up, matched the cut edges and basted it like crazy. I used white rayon embroidery thread...nice and slippery...and first basted it up the center, then from the middle out to the sides and armsceyes, just to hold everything while I basted all around the edges. That way, all the grainlines stayed where they should be. After that, I could treat the lining/fabric pieces just as one piece...the voile side was the RS, the lining side was the WS...and proceed as normal. When I hemmed them, I took a stitch in the turned up allowance, and a stitch through the lining only, so I didn't have any stitches showing on the finished top. Hope that makes sense!
SouthernStitch said... (4/29/05 11:30 AM) Reply
This sounds just too cool, and I'd like to try it. When you hand baste, you sit the voile rs up on top of the lining, also rs up? When you sewed the shoulder and side seams, you sewed them then rs together? I'm trying to picture this and having trouble getting the rs to come out on top at the end. Oh well, yours looks great!
Tonia Van Dyk said... (4/29/05 9:31 AM) Reply
Wow, Lisa. Great tops. I have this pattern in my stash, and never got around to making it up for some reason. I'm thinking I'll have to pull it out and play with it!
Everyday Sewist said... (12/11/02 11:46 AM) Reply
Nice tops. My favorite is the 3/4 sleeve version--looks very chic.
CatherineN said... (11/17/02 4:07 PM) Reply
Wonderful review! Full of ideas and helps.
said... (10/15/02 10:50 AM) Reply
I have some rayon/lycra from Fashion Sewing group; very lightweight and soft. That's the most likely choice at this moment!
said... (10/15/02 7:32 AM) Reply
Lisa, that sounds very good, whatkind of knit were you thinking?
said... (10/15/02 3:11 AM) Reply
Marita, people will probably think this is the only pattern I've got! :p Now that the weather is cooling off, I think I will try a knit version with long sleeves...
said... (10/15/02 1:03 AM) Reply
Lisa, the top looks very good on you, I bet you'll be making more of these, I would if I were you.
said... (10/15/02 0:48 AM) Reply
Lisa, I love your top. I agree with Andrea - the neckline is lovely and the curved hem is very very pretty. I have to copy your idea of short sleeves! Thanks for the wonderful review.
said... (10/14/02 5:26 PM) Reply
The top is very cute.
said... (10/14/02 3:00 PM) Reply
Great review! That top looks beautiful. I love the curved hem and that neckline is so flattering. It fits you like a dream!
said... (10/9/02 5:33 AM) Reply
Lisa I'm sure this looks great, as a T and as a dress, it's one of those patterns thats simple but elegant and very versatile.
Understanding Interfacings