Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt (Sandra Betzina Coat)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

See other patterns in this category: Vests    Skirts

Vesta Patterns

vestapatterns.com

Ann Smith said... (10/14/03 12:04 PM) Reply
Lisa: good luck! I just recently made a hooded raincoat (will review soon) and was delighted to discover that it could be worn over this coat.
Lisa Laree said... (10/13/03 11:30 AM) Reply
Thanks again, Ann! I thought I'd skip at least one fold on the binding, to help skinny it down, and I'm thinking about ways to trim the seam in the tuck to eliminate more. Making a sample is a good idea...if the welt doesn't work, I can always just trim away the extra seam allowance and make a conventional seam...
Ann Smith said... (10/13/03 11:10 AM) Reply
Lisa: my fabric is a chenille which has loft but is not thick. It may not be as thick as your coating. I also made this pattern years ago from a wool tweed but that also was not as heavy as a coating fabric. I didn't have any troubles with these fabrics. On the sleeve hems I have just serged, turned and topstitched instead of folding under the edges which elimated a lot of bulk. Why don't you try a small sample seam as per the pattern to see what happens?
Lisa Laree said... (10/12/03 3:48 PM) Reply
Thanks, Ann! I'm concerned about the bulk at the neck/wrists, though...my coating is pretty thick. How bulky was your fabric? Did you have any problems with the (counting) 5 layers of fabric at the ends of the seam?
Ann Smith said... (10/11/03 11:19 PM) Reply
Lisa: yes I did the seam on the shoulders which is from the original Vogue pattern. Be sure to do this, it is a great detail.
Lisa Laree said... (10/3/03 9:10 PM) Reply
Ann, I can't tell from the photo -- did you do Sandra's funky french seam down the shoulder/arm? I've finally gotten some lovely coating to make this from; now I'm fretting over the details before I cut anything...
Ann Smith said... (1/27/03 4:41 AM) Reply
I mean Mel, see Lisa's comment....
Ann Smith said... (1/27/03 4:40 AM) Reply
Kathy, see Lisa's comment above. Interesting if SW stopped printing this: they featured a spectacular patchwork garment made with this pattern in the window of their shop in San Francisco just 2 weeks ago.
Mel.J said... (1/27/03 4:32 AM) Reply
Ann, the pattern picture doesn't show up on the SW site... is it out of print?
Modiste Madness said... (1/27/03 1:17 AM) Reply
Ann, you are such an incredibly productive and talented sewist. I always look forward to your reviews. You choose such unique fabric and patterns. Thanks for always sharing. This coat looks wonderful and wonderful on you.
Ann Smith said... (1/26/03 10:25 PM) Reply
Bonnie, I fixed the photos. Sorry, I didn't realize they had gone astray.
Lisa Laree said... (1/19/03 3:01 AM) Reply
Well, I checked SW's website and this coat is not listed! Fortunately Patternshowcase still shows it in stock, so I went ahead and ordered it...just in case...
Ann Smith said... (1/18/03 2:21 AM) Reply
Lisa, definitely, plenty of room. The sleeve is a dolman type, very low and roomy under the arm. I have worn this over sweaters and over a turtleneck with jumper though not over a tailored jacket. I think it will be okay.
Lisa Laree said... (1/18/03 1:29 AM) Reply
Ann, I've decided I need to make a topcoat to wear over suits w/jackets by next winter and I'm seriously considering the Betzina coat. I know yours is actually Vogue, but is there enough room in the back/armsceye area to go over a tailored jacket?
said... (10/25/02 3:29 PM) Reply
your sewing is very impressive, ann. you look like a movie star! thanks for sharing your work!
said... (10/24/02 7:30 PM) Reply
I see that the photo has disappeared so I have edited this to show it again. I wonder why that happens?
said... (10/18/02 0:52 AM) Reply
Deb, does the page you see have 3 albums pictured? If so, just click on the one on the left. That has the two pictures of this coat. Also the middle album, Ann's Sewing Projects, has pictures of other reviews. Hope this works for you.
said... (10/17/02 12:01 PM) Reply
Ann, when I try to access your garment photo, I get your log-in page. Is there a way to see your photo? Thanks.
said... (10/9/02 8:16 PM) Reply
Ann, the coat looks great on you! Very chic.
said... (10/9/02 8:10 PM) Reply
Tres chic! Very flattering. I have hopes of getting my version done this winter. . .for our Florida climate. Thanks.
said... (10/9/02 5:51 PM) Reply
Mini, the Tamotsu coat was also a jacket. Mine was fingertip length and worked great that way. Just cut the pattern off and curve the front edges.
said... (10/9/02 5:16 PM) Reply
Thanks. I might try this as a 3/4 length because I can never walk in full-kength coats. It's interesting that this was originally a Tamotsu design. I think they are so simple and refined, which is sometimes not the case with the other Betzina patterns.
said... (10/9/02 3:24 PM) Reply
Mimi, Lots of ease in the upper body. I used a size smaller than my measurments would suggest. It tapers in to be narrower at the bottom but is still loose at the hips.
said... (10/9/02 3:11 PM) Reply
Ann. what is the sizing like? How much ease is there?
said... (10/9/02 12:06 PM) Reply
I figured out how to access the photo album. Your coat is lovely and I like the idea of making it up in a chenille.
said... (10/9/02 10:52 AM) Reply
Ann, I couldn't open your foto. I can I access your album to, perhaps, view it there?
said... (10/9/02 6:09 AM) Reply
Wow! And, you were "in tune" with the thinking of a designer, what a nice coincidence. (Sandra liked the coat, alot, too!)
said... (10/9/02 5:17 AM) Reply
You look so good in dark colors, and this is very elegant+ the closure which is fantastic, really a dot on the i.Thank you for sharing!
said... (10/9/02 1:54 AM) Reply
Ann, your coat looks fabulous. I love the little closure you used!

by: prttynpnk