Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Suitability> 2600 (Riding Chaps)

Reviewed by:Miss Fairchild

About Miss Fairchildstarstarstarstar

Posted on:4/7/06 3:35 PM
Last Updated:4/7/06 3:35 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
Miss Fairchild said... (4/8/06 2:12 PM) Reply
Sorry about the funny looking apostrophes. I recently upgraded my computer and the word processing software puts those ''google-y'' ones in there. I'm still working out the bugs, so bear with me.
Miss Fairchild said... (4/8/06 2:08 PM) Reply
Reply to AnneM: A "concho" is a sort of button that is very common in Western wear as it has a Hispanic/Native American beginning. Conchos were originally made from coins hammered over a round object, creating an indentation. Then a metal loop (shank) was soldered to the inside, much like our shank buttons today. Sometimes they were punched into the fabric for decoration. You can see them on the back of the chaps to get an idea.
PrairieTides said... (4/8/06 12:20 PM) Reply
Great chaps! I have this pattern, and the ultrasuede, but I haven't been brave enough yet to try this pattern. You can get conchos from Tandy Leather, and most western tack stores.
AnneM said... (4/8/06 9:34 AM) Reply
Ok, I give up: what's a concho? Great job on making these. They look very nice.
Stacy Sews said... (4/7/06 11:32 PM) Reply
Wow, chaps! That's an interesting project and you did a great job!
kwpanthermom said... (4/7/06 8:12 PM) Reply
Very nice job, and I love the color! I made black ultrasuede chaps from Suitability for a little girl who was involved in show riding years ago, and this review brings back memories! I think I did the same thing with the conchos, and I do recall the zipper took some thinking to insert it correctly! Thanks for reminding me what a fun project this was! I also made a riding jacket from Suitability, shirts, vests, and helmet covers---it is a well drafted series of patterns.
oracle said... (4/7/06 6:21 PM) Reply
My best friend rides Western; I might just make her a pair of these chaps! Thanks for the review, and thanks, bunz, for the rubber cement advice.
bunz said... (4/7/06 6:03 PM) Reply
Cool! For anyone who want to work w ultrasuede, the best way to get the rubber cement to stick is to apply it to both side, let it dry until just tacky, then press together.

by: valerie se...