Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 1010 (Trouser Pant)

Reviewed by:MaryBeth

See other patterns in this category: Tops    Pants
GorgeousFabrics said... (4/29/06 6:35 PM) Reply
MB, that is just beautiful. Another superb job! -Ann
Liane M said... (4/29/06 6:29 PM) Reply
Thanks to both of you for these comments. My pattern came in today's mail. I laid my TNT pants pattern over this one and the back crotch is perfect. The front is too long as usual, but this looks like it will be a winner. Now I'm wondering about the crease, although I won't put a crease in the ones that I make. I hope to have a review in the next few days.
MaryBeth said... (4/29/06 2:05 PM) Reply
I don't think it's your build, Karla! Guess I'll do this so everyone can think about it, too. I found the same problem, yesterday, when I decided that I wanted to narrow the legs and steam in a sharp crease into the grey pants. I'm not enough of a pants expert to give you that wiz-bang answer we all love to read. However, I had noticed that the pants legs are shaped differently than my TNT Joyce Murphy pants and was prepared for more fullness, but not the off knee crease. I have decided to go back to the JSM pants for a good straight leg. Thanks for bringing this up. I was happy with them until I tried to add the crease! Adding a tailorweight fusible to the hem helped bring the leg a bit more straight.
Karla Kizer said... (4/29/06 12:07 PM) Reply
Mary Beth, I need your opinion. The CJ flare pants are just about done, and although they fit, I am appalled at how angled the front crease is on me. Instead of running straight down over my knee, it angles in so it crosses the inside edge of my kneecap and heads on toward the inside of my ankle. It's cut ongrain, so that's not the problem. If I pinch a pleat (about 1/2") out of the sideseam length at the top of my thigh, the creases fall where they are supposed to. The fix is obvious - but what the heck would cause this problem on these pants? It's not something I've encountered before in RTW or sewn pants. OMG - I'm built like a troll!
Mufffet said... (4/26/06 10:08 PM) Reply
These pants look very nicely fitted. And the top is so pretty.
Elisabetha said... (4/26/06 11:29 AM) Reply
Ooops sorry Marybeth; it looks so different to the original one
MaryBeth said... (4/26/06 11:22 AM) Reply
Elisabetha, the top is from BWOF 3/06 I reviewed on 4/22/06, which is now a staple in my pattern stash.
Elisabetha said... (4/26/06 5:28 AM) Reply
Marybeth. They're great pants; I admire your perseverance. Must get this pattern as I've used several of her patterns and I like the cut of them. What is the top you're wearing; it looks lovely on you?
Lilibet said... (4/26/06 3:21 AM) Reply
Beautiful fit on both pants and top. Do you think the zip could be moved to the side seam on the pants without spoiling the fit?
Sherril Miller said... (4/26/06 1:38 AM) Reply
Marybeth, those pants are perfect. I hadn't seen this pattern before, and I really like it. That top is too cute too. You look so tall and it shows of your curves nicely.
Vibek said... (4/26/06 1:14 AM) Reply

Vibek said... (4/26/06 1:13 AM) Reply
hey, hey good lookin'. Very helpful review. You could almost be my twin, shapewise, so I may have to get this pattern. Too bad CJ is a bit overpriced IMO.
MaryBeth said... (4/25/06 7:18 PM) Reply
Yes, another Asian top...it's cut with more flare at the hemline, larger, wider sleeve cap and and .5" seams because it's not a stretch cotton and meant for our hot Southern summers.
CarolynGM said... (4/25/06 7:05 PM) Reply
The new pants look just perfect. Is that another Asian top you're wearing in the new picture?
els said... (4/25/06 7:00 PM) Reply
The new trouser pant in a size 18 fits you perfect, good decision to make it in a smaller size with some adjustements.
SouthernStitch said... (4/17/06 10:39 AM) Reply
If I will look as skinny as you do in this same ensemble, I'm off to buy both the top and the pants pattern. Nuff said!
CarolynGM said... (4/16/06 7:53 AM) Reply
I'm glad you had such excellent results from this pattern. Please do post an update for your next pair.
Karla Kizer said... (4/16/06 6:40 AM) Reply
Still a little finishing to do on my flare-leg pants (from the same pattern as these trouser pants), but I have to agree with MaryBeth: what a great pattern for beginners, or for more experienced sewers who want a quick, unfussy pants pattern that is easy to fit. CJ definitely has a winner in this one.
kmouse said... (4/15/06 9:46 PM) Reply
From your review along with the sketch from CJ's site, I ordered the pattern today along with the set of swatches. I am assuming the top pattern is still for knits...is that correct?
els said... (4/15/06 7:22 PM) Reply
Despite you sewed the wrong size and had to do some alterations to get it fit, your pair of pants looks great on you.
MaryBeth said... (4/15/06 6:05 PM) Reply
Oh, hahahahaha, I just found a very readable (meaning big) chart of the sizing for this pattern beneath the pattern picture on the CJPatterns.com website http://www.cjpatterns.com/pat1010.html (grin of chagrin!) HTH!!!
Gigi Louis said... (4/15/06 1:49 PM) Reply
Wow, MB, those are gorgeous! I hadn't seen this pattern. I really like the unfussy style - perfect when paired with an unusual top.
PhyllisC said... (4/15/06 11:56 AM) Reply
Wow - these pants look flawless to me! what's so interesting is that when pants really fit, a person's height kinda becomes a non-issue. Certainly not the case with most RTW pants. Great review Mary Beth!
jemgirlca said... (4/15/06 10:48 AM) Reply
Great pants! I love them with your new top, too. :-)
Nancy K said... (4/15/06 9:34 AM) Reply
I was interested in this pattern and the lack of front darts is good for me, I have such a low waist, short front crotch that darts are often a problem. Even, though they are a bit big on you the back hangs very well, always a big problem for lots of people
AnneM said... (4/15/06 9:30 AM) Reply
Very nice pants; impressive. Cute top included in the pattern, also.
Peggy L said... (4/15/06 9:03 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review, MB. This sounds like a great pattern for a basic pair of pants.
blue mooney said... (4/15/06 7:46 AM) Reply
Yep, you've got them well-fitted, all right! good job!
Danvillegirl said... (4/15/06 7:29 AM) Reply
Love the pants. I am going to give these a try, especially when you said you were 5'2". I am 5'3" and have fitting issues with the knee area. Really love the entire outfit.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (4/15/06 6:57 AM) Reply
Your pants look great, even 'before' the changes you would make next time. Great fabric, too!
Liane M said... (4/14/06 10:10 PM) Reply
I love your pants and your suggestion of teaching this as a beginner class. How 'bout a pants class at ASG? I love, love , love the top, is there going to be a review? Am I EVER going to see you again? Great review.
Karla Kizer said... (4/14/06 8:36 PM) Reply
I just got this pattern in today's mail, so your review couldn't have been a better start to my weekend. And speaking of reading problems...I've been scouring the stash looking for only stretch wovens - and your mention of silk noil sent me back to check the pattern again: eureka - any old pants-weight stuff will do! Thank you for an extremely helpful review. Now I'm off to trace and reconsider my fabric choices - and get a seeing eye dog.
Georgene said... (4/14/06 8:31 PM) Reply
Excellent review, MB. You should get the results you want with the next pair. Be sure to update the photo when you get around to it.
lilhoney57 said... (4/14/06 7:21 PM) Reply
Thank you, thank you! I have been going back & forth-should I buy this one or not. It looks great ! I am off to buy it. :) Ok, now you say you would cut an 18 next time, is this the same/larger/smaller than you would use in another pattern?
elizajo said... (4/14/06 6:44 PM) Reply
Thanks for your review of this pattern, I've wondered how the CJ pants patterns worked with her cut, sew, and shrink methods. I guess using those tables is important! I have made some embarrassing reading mistakes because of my progressive bifocals. So I had a pair of prescription reading glasses made up for sewing, computering, and reading. I wear them more than the bifocals.

by: petro