Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3093 (T-Neck L/S Pullover)

Reviewed by:andrearn9

About andrearn9star
NY USA
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:11/21/05 7:14 AM
Last Updated:10/12/02 6:56 PM

AnneM said... (8/7/03 5:50 PM) Reply
Oops, I meant I was debating between this & 2740. Do you have a comparison between the two? (I see you have done both.)
AnneM said... (8/7/03 5:46 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I was debating betwee this & 3093. This one wins.
said... (11/3/02 7:55 PM) Reply
Andrea, thanks for answering my earlier question about Voyager interlock. After not being able to find it, I realized that I had another knit fabric that would work. I made it and it came out looking great! This pattern has a nice shape and isn't baggy or square. It was also easy and quick to make! I used a strip of Fusi-Knit interfacing for the shoulder stay, which worked out well. Thanks for your review! Without it, I wouldn't have known about this pattern and I wouldn't have made such a nice-looking T-shirt!
said... (10/14/02 10:41 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone for all of your kind words. This pattern gives great results. I also "lived" in t-necks from LL Bean and Lands End. They were nice, but, I agree Diane, they are "sacky." The trim look of the KS top just seems neater-looking and more pulled-together. Sort of takes a casual top and kicks it up a notch!
said... (10/13/02 11:05 PM) Reply
Wow, Andrea, what nice tops! I love the fitted silhouette, which definitely takes a cotton turtleneck to another level. I've been wearing a couple of cotton t-necks from Eddie Bauer nonstop lately, and I'm thinking this KS pattern is a must have for replacing those sacky tops! Thanks!
said... (10/12/02 9:10 PM) Reply
That looks very nice! I too like the hourglass shape. I'll have to try this one. I also haven't had any luck at all with the clear elastic, although some people swear by it. Looks great!
said... (10/12/02 8:17 PM) Reply
What a great review. You covered all the bases. I think I will need to add this pattern to my stash. Your finished garment is very nice. Hard to believe you have never made an adult garment before. Looks very good! You will have to do more--with review. Nice job.
said... (10/11/02 8:21 PM) Reply
For a similar cotton/poly by a different name, you could try www.nancysnotions.com and www.greatcopy.com. They have a good range of colors-better at Great Copy- and matching ribbing. This is my default everyday knit.
said... (10/11/02 12:03 PM) Reply
Just thought I'd add the link for Timmel Fabric's lesson: http://www.timmelfabrics.com/knitslessontwo.htm
said... (10/11/02 10:54 AM) Reply
Unfortunately, Sewing Studio no longer has any Voyager Interlock. I bought it on sale in August and I guess they've sold out of it. They do have something called Mountainside 100% cotton knit which should be available soon, but I have no idea what it will be like. I have ordered several different fabrics from Sewing Studio and have always been pleased with the quality and service (NAYY). If you're looking for something comparable, try www.sewbaby.com. They carry a line called "Color Match," which has 50/50 cotton-poly interlock (very similar to Voyager), sweatshirt fleece and ribbing. I purchased the interlock and fleece for toddler outfits for my son and was quite pleased with the quality. Their color selection is great, too. The interlock has been laundered a lot, and has held up really well. No fading or pilling. Although a children's fabric site, the "Color Match" fabrics are completely appropriate for adult wear (NAYY). I would definitely recommend this pattern for a beginner, but would suggest that they consult Timmel Fabrics "Sewing a T-Shirt" lesson first. Following that lesson, especially regarding neckband and sleeve insertion, will ensure good results. The lesson's instructions don't differ from Kwik Sew's, however, they are much more precise. For example, where Kwik Sew just tells you to sew in the sleeve, Timmel's lesson tells you exactly how to pin the fabric, hold the fabric, manipulate the fabric and feed the fabric into the machine. That lesson leaves nothing to the imagination and you will get excellent results by following her instructions.
said... (10/11/02 5:44 AM) Reply
This top looks great - I would never have picked it as a beginner project! I also had trouble when I played with the clear elastic, I'm going to try with the interfacing too. Thanks!
said... (10/11/02 4:30 AM) Reply
It looks like your top came out very nicely! I have been looking for a pattern for a mock turtleneck for a while now - can you tell me where you got the Voyager knit from? I tried www.sewingstudio.com but couldn't find it there. Thanks!
said... (10/10/02 12:31 PM) Reply
I added the photo. I cropped out my head as I'm looking pretty awful today! I added some comments to the bottom of the review regarding the photo. And, yes, I think I'll use the fusible interfacing scraps next time to stabilize the shoulder area. That clear elastic had me cursing up a storm! Also, thrilled to hear that the Voyager holds up well. I was worried about it since it's 50/50 poly-cotton. Didn't want it to turn into a pilly mess after a couple of washings.
said... (10/10/02 12:17 PM) Reply
Your fabric and pattern choices are both excellent for beginners. This pattern is so classic, and the Voyager interlock is probably the easiest knit to sew. It wears well too. I think that using the fusible interfacing to stabilize the shoulder is easier than clear elastic and more comfortable than twill tape.
said... (10/10/02 1:05 AM) Reply
This was a helpful review. I've also had trouble sewing over clear elastic. One of my favorite RTW t-shirts uses twill tape to stabilize the shoulder seams. I was going to try that on my next t-shirt but now that fusible interfacing sounds like a good idea too!
said... (10/9/02 10:22 PM) Reply
Andrea, I think that KS patterns are a great way to get started sewing for yourself. Most of us love the results we get from them. And yes, they are generously sized, but well proportioned; a lot of us drop down a size or two when we use them, and get the kind of fit that we like in RTW. Glad your experience with KS is so encouraging, and I'll look forward to seeing the pictures.
said... (10/9/02 10:08 PM) Reply
Can't wait to see the pictures. Great review. Thanks!

HotPatterns 1173